Please share your PAT experiences - not sure which time to choose

Option 3 (my personal favorite): Try for the Sweet Spot in between those two options. As mentioned by @Weedy, open boarding happens usually around 12:15-12:30, so if you get to the port at about 11:45 or 12:00, much of the initial crowd will already be boarding or waiting to board. Then, when you get through security and check-in, open boarding will have been called and you will miss the crowds and walk on at about 12:30 or so. Next, DON'T go to lunch quite yet. If you have a several adults, you can leave one with the bags (and perhaps some/all of the kids) to rest on deck, while the rest of you explore or make reservations for things. If it is just you and the kids, sit for a bit, or if you don't have too many bags, explore for a bit. Then, just before 1:30 meet back up and head for Cabanas for the buffet. At 1:30, when they announce that the rooms are available, Cabanas will empty out and you can eat in peace. Once you are done eating, then you can go to the rooms without the "rope-drop" like conditions that you would find at 1:30 when people were lining up to get into their cabins.

To me, this gives you the best of both worlds, less lines and waiting, but also more time to enjoy the ship. Waiting until 1:30 for lunch is a downside for some, but we just compensate with a later or larger breakfast and bringing some (pre-packaged) snacks for people who get hungry.

Whichever option works for you, have fun!

This is really helpful, thank you! I've got a DCL transfer from Miami Airport on Sunday and so I didn't have to/get to choose a PAT. Think I'll still try to get on the shuttle at 11:00 when it first becomes available to me, but I'll think seriously about having a late breakfast (or second breakfast) at the airport so I can leave off having lunch until 1:30 and use that time to explore the ship instead of crowding in at Cabanas. I guess I don't see much reason to rush to get into my stateroom the moment it opens to me; I'm not bringing any drinks so my carry-on will be small and light.

Every single day for our cruise has been “sold out” for the nursery since we were able to book (first time cruisers), I hope they open up more time on board.

Hi everyone! I am in the process of picking a PAT time for our upcoming cruise and I'm wondering if you have a favorite?

I currently have 11:00 - 11:15 am chosen (everything from 11:00 am on is available). We are gold CC (first time sailing as gold), so I'm not sure if this gives us any advantages in the terminal? We will be staying in WDW pre-cruise and I was thinking of leaving for the port around 10:00 am (private transfer), to be at PC by our PAT. I'm just hoping we won't be waiting in the terminal too long before we board? Ideally, I'd like to pick a time that keeps our wait time to a minimum, but I assume the earlier we arrive the sooner our boarding number will be called?

My other thought is to get there a little later (maybe around noon?) so we don't have to wait as long for our stateroom to be ready? I'm just concerned the terminal will be packed by then.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. We haven't sailed in a non-concierge stateroom since 2014, so I'm a little rusty on the PAT process.
We always go for the earliest we can get. Not waiting one extra minute sto start our trip!

Every single day for our cruise has been “sold out” for the nursery since we were able to book (first time cruisers), I hope they open up more time on board.
Don't worry my experiance is once you are on board there is lots of nursery time available. We worried a lot about this and it turned out much better than we expected.

Love this thread! What time should we get on the bus at MCO if we want to arrive 12:30 - 1ish (11:30, noon?) Is there usually a line for the bus, etc? We have always gone early but found a lot of hurry up and wait.

We just want to get there in time for lunch and 1:30 pm room openings. We do have Remy reservations that evening so don't want to have lunch too late. Looking for the sweet spot!

We thoroughly enjoy early port arrival times so that we can board early and gain access to any special event tickets that the latecomers may arrive too late for!! Afterwards we head for lunch then onto our rooms.

Love this thread! What time should we get on the bus at MCO if we want to arrive 12:30 - 1ish (11:30, noon?) Is there usually a line for the bus, etc? We have always gone early but found a lot of hurry up and wait.

We just want to get there in time for lunch and 1:30 pm room openings. We do have Remy reservations that evening so don't want to have lunch too late. Looking for the sweet spot!

Yup, 11:30-Noon would be fine. I've found that the lines aren't that bad at MCO, We've been able to saunter down from our room and pretty much gt right on board a bus to the Port.

Hi everyone! I am in the process of picking a PAT time for our upcoming cruise and I'm wondering if you have a favorite?

I currently have 11:00 - 11:15 am chosen (everything from 11:00 am on is available). We are gold CC (first time sailing as gold), so I'm not sure if this gives us any advantages in the terminal? We will be staying in WDW pre-cruise and I was thinking of leaving for the port around 10:00 am (private transfer), to be at PC by our PAT. I'm just hoping we won't be waiting in the terminal too long before we board? Ideally, I'd like to pick a time that keeps our wait time to a minimum, but I assume the earlier we arrive the sooner our boarding number will be called?

My other thought is to get there a little later (maybe around noon?) so we don't have to wait as long for our stateroom to be ready? I'm just concerned the terminal will be packed by then.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. We haven't sailed in a non-concierge stateroom since 2014, so I'm a little rusty on the PAT process.

this is the time we arrived in august last year and it was perfect!!!
we ended up walking straight on board from check in...

backing up - when we arrived at the port, i think at 11:15, there was only one car in front of us (we had a rental)...
after we passed the person who checks your passport as you enter, we dropped off our luggage and then drove across to the parking lot..

we parked on the level of the bridge, walked through security (there was no one there), walked right up to a check in (no wait)..
there were people standing in line waiting to board, but boarding had already begun...

by the time we were done with check in, they were already at number 6 for boarding and we walked right on, no wait...

it was our easiest boarding yet...

Last trip we brought our 5yo nephew. He woke us in our Port Canaveral hotel at 6 am ready to go get on the ship.o_O Instead of waiting around we headed to port early and ended up before 10:00 in line for terminal to open. We waited about 30 minutes in line. Once in we were able to check in, sign up for clubs and then sat to people watch. Even though it was a pain to wait I plan to arrive early on our upcoming 4-day cruise. That extra 2 hours on the first day makes a difference on short cruises IMO. For a 7 day, I would arrive after the rush.

We always stay at a WDW resort before the cruise and take the DCL shuttle to the port. Many people don't like this method because of the late arrival time to the port; but we're with you. We would rather check in, get on the ship (no wait), go directly to our stateroom, get rid of the carry-on luggage we don't need and go directly the buffet line to eat.
One cruise we got on board a little to early but decided to go up to our deck on the elevator closest to our stateroom and hang out until the rope drop. We were literally looking into our stateroom, with nothing but a rope keeping us from entering. By that time we only had about five minutes to wait.
Do you ever take DCL shuttle back to a WDW park on departure day? How did that work for you?

One change to time needed in the terminal now we noted our last sailing a few weeks ago was the kids club bands are now provided during the check-in of all. There was no separate kids club line and check-in area used in the terminal (the area is still there, just empty). We'd always twiddle away some of the terminal wait time lining up for the kids club band and its associated process (actually all done online - they'd just confirmed the details after getting the band). Our youngest (the only one still in the clubs now) used to have his anticipation ramped up waiting in line for his band with the throngs of other kids. Now no more - darn Disney efficiency.

this is the time we arrived in august last year and it was perfect!!!
we ended up walking straight on board from check in...

backing up - when we arrived at the port, i think at 11:15, there was only one car in front of us (we had a rental)...
after we passed the person who checks your passport as you enter, we dropped off our luggage and then drove across to the parking lot..

we parked on the level of the bridge, walked through security (there was no one there), walked right up to a check in (no wait)..
there were people standing in line waiting to board, but boarding had already begun...

by the time we were done with check in, they were already at number 6 for boarding and we walked right on, no wait...

it was our easiest boarding yet...
I see that you had cruise in August this is when we are cruising this year. Can you comment if you were able to eat outside at Cabanas after boarding or is it simply too hot? That’s just my concern on embarkation day that everyone Will look for a spot inside where there’s air-conditioning making the crowds worse. Or is it comfortable in August heat and humidity to sit outside while in port? Just wondering if it would make sense to actually then arrive later where there’s less crowds if the only option is a spot inside due to heat.

Do you ever take DCL shuttle back to a WDW park on departure day? How did that work for you?

All of our cruises have ended with us going straight to the airport and home. I wouldn’t mind some trip we head to a WDW Resort and finishing there. Going back to the resorts next year, maybe then.

I see that you had cruise in August this is when we are cruising this year. Can you comment if you were able to eat outside at Cabanas after boarding or is it simply too hot? That’s just my concern on embarkation day that everyone Will look for a spot inside where there’s air-conditioning making the crowds worse. Or is it comfortable in August heat and humidity to sit outside while in port? Just wondering if it would make sense to actually then arrive later where there’s less crowds if the only option is a spot inside due to heat.

Too hot is in the eye of the beholder. We were there in August also, and although on that first day we did eat inside, I didn't feel it was TOO hot to eat outside. Yes, it was hot, but many seat were shaded by the ship, and there was a breeze from the ocean....

Cabanas is most crowded from about Noon to 1:30. You may have trouble finding indoor seats at that time, or you might not. It varies. If you get to Cabanas after 1:30 you will surely have no problem finding a table. There is also the sit-down option in one of the MDRs.

The DCL bus only goes to resorts. Not the parks.
That’s true, except there’s a second bus at hotels that take you to the park. I’m looking to take both buses. But I’m getting scared and might rent a car now.

That’s true, except there’s a second bus at hotels that take you to the park. I’m looking to take both buses. But I’m getting scared and might rent a car now.

True. But I think you have to be staying at the resort to take the DCL bus to it to then get the bus to a park.

True. But I think you have to be staying at the resort to take the DCL bus to it to then get the bus to a park.
Oh we are, Music something. It’s a value resorts near AK which was one of the reasons why we picked it. Which is kinda bumming me that it looks like noon if I “go Disney” all the way and if I rent a car I can check into my hotel on the app/Internet and leave my luggage in the car at the hotel I get to the park at 9:30ish.

Oh we are, Music something. It’s a value resorts near AK which was one of the reasons why we picked it. Which is kinda bumming me that it looks like noon if I “go Disney” all the way and if I rent a car I can check into my hotel on the app/Internet and leave my luggage in the car at the hotel I get to the park at 9:30ish.

You can check into your hotel online in advance regardless of how you arrive at the resort. And you can store your luggage with bell services when you arrive if your room is not ready - again, regardless of how you arrive at the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter