Podcast 10/15/19 -

fbarker

DIS Veteran
I have just viewed this weeks podcast and during the discussion regarding what Disney could do better. Kathy W said Disney should do some focus groups to get the opinions of its guests. I have found that focus groups are attempts by companies to convince a company truly values the opinions of its customers when in most cases the companies don't think its customers have any valid ideas of what might be good. A true case in point is Figment-Journey into Imagination. When this was first rolled out it was an outstanding "hit" and they introduced a new character, Figment, that was not from a movie and became a hugh favorite. But then they changed the format of Journey into Imagination and right from the the start it was underwhelming. I can't find too many people who think that it is a great or good attraction. These feelings have been voiced and communicated to Disney for years and they have done nothing to re-engineer this attraction....Disney just does not care about the opinions of its guests, as long as the guests continue to spend money at the parkes.

But then they changed the format of Journey into Imagination and right from the the start it was underwhelming. I can't find too many people who think that it is a great or good attraction. These feelings have been voiced and communicated to Disney for years and they have done nothing to re-engineer this attraction....Disney just does not care about the opinions of its guests, as long as the guests continue to spend money at the parkes.
Fwiw, Journey Into Your Imagination only lasted 2 years before it was redone to bring Figment back. The ride is still a shell of the original attraction but they didn't completely ignore guest feedback regarding it.

I have just viewed this weeks podcast and during the discussion regarding what Disney could do better. Kathy W said Disney should do some focus groups to get the opinions of its guests. I have found that focus groups are attempts by companies to convince a company truly values the opinions of its customers when in most cases the companies don't think its customers have any valid ideas of what might be good. A true case in point is Figment-Journey into Imagination. When this was first rolled out it was an outstanding "hit" and they introduced a new character, Figment, that was not from a movie and became a hugh favorite. But then they changed the format of Journey into Imagination and right from the the start it was underwhelming. I can't find too many people who think that it is a great or good attraction. These feelings have been voiced and communicated to Disney for years and they have done nothing to re-engineer this attraction....Disney just does not care about the opinions of its guests, as long as the guests continue to spend money at the parkes.

I agree with your starting premise, but don't think the update to Figment is the best example. They were required by the contract with the sponsor to update the attraction ever so many years and at that point they had like no budget so did the best they could - and it was terrible

The bigger issue with focus groups I see is that there are very few things that Disney fans agree with- for every new idea a bunch of people love a n equal group hates

Focus groups are often a troubled concept. New Coke is one of the most famous examples of a colossal failure of the process.

With an operation as large as Disney World, you've got many different demographics that may have wildly different likes and dislikes and desires, as Phil said above. Locals want different things than once a year visitors. Parents with small children want different things than those with older kids, or no kids at all, or grandkids. AP holders want different things than convention attendees or school tour groups. You can't possibly please all of those people no matter how many focus groups you hold.

Think you could do, short term to improve experience. Change the Disney Dining Plan, ever since this scam of a program came out, where you have to run around like an expert level scavenger hunt to break even on the cost, Menu variety in all the eating locations have slimmed down to just a few items, and quality of food has dropped. Because instead of trying to make the best food possible at a location, they try to maximize the profit per seat based upon the Dining Plan costs. If you want a nice example of how a dining plan should be check out Busch Gardens in Tampa, in water alone you make the plan worth it.

They have created a park that draws families that due to the cost are trading a semester at a nice college for a child for a few days of memories. If you cannot lower prices, they offer something with the tickets now, for example on dessert or appetizer, you will make your money back when they buy something to go with it.

The maximin any single day ticket should be, is what one of your cast members makes in an 8 hour shift.

Lower the head count a little at the parks before you restrict entrance, too crowded, to spend a full day and not get to attend the attractions you dream of, sure you can ride the train, and everyone loves the line ride.

Last Rant: How about more places to sit, and some more shade. I know that people will spend less money if have a place to rest, but people will be happier if you give them a relaxing experience. By the way, nice to see some shade umbrellas in Star Wars Land, and Toy Story Land, shade for the long lines, please make sure the cast members all have shade to stand under as well, makes we feel really awkward when I go buy a popcorn and water for a cast member who is standing in the sun with no shade (starwars land as well)

Another Note, from Pete's comments about the Leader walking around the parks, seeing what the guests see, is 100% spot on, didn't Walt do this? Imagine seeing the Park President working the Haunted Mansion for a few hours, or simply greeting guests as they pass through the Castle (when you could have done that.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter