Podcast members push DVC resale but buy DVC direct???

If you don’t care about membership perks there is literally no reason at all to buy direct unless you need those points right now. If you buy a resale contract now and in the future Disney strips away more resale perks (are there any left?) then you’ll be grandfathered in. It won’t apply to you. It only affects the resale price of your contract should you choose to sell. But guess what? That potential resale price is also affected on a direct purchase you make. You can’t sell your membership with your contract so you’re in the exact same position.

If you don’t care about membership perks there is literally no reason at all to buy direct unless you need those points right now.
Just to clarify, there are a couple of other reasons to buy direct. The value of these benefits are subjective.

1) Resale points (from the original 14) cannot be used at any new resorts that are built starting with Riviera. Resale points from any of the new resorts starting at Riviera can only be used at that resort.

2) Resale points cannot be used to book cruises, ABD, or the concierge collection.

I also knew everything that was going on even with the limitation at only being able to stay at the original 14 properties when i purchased resale and decided that 95% of the extras i would never use or would be able to get with an AP. For that reason i purchased both of my contracts resale, just to save as much money as I could.

I also knew everything that was going on even with the limitation at only being able to stay at the original 14 properties when i purchased resale and decided that 95% of the extras i would never use or would be able to get with an AP. For that reason i purchased both of my contracts resale, just to save as much money as I could.
Yup, same here. I bought at boardwalk so I would choose to stay there over Rivera 100% of the time because of proximity. I'm also in the process of closing on a BLT contract, which again due to location I would pick over Reflections, though I'm sure I'll go over there for dinner sometime. So I wasn't too worried about that restriction. I also know that the trade in value for cruises isn't great and since I own at resorts that do pretty well on the rental market I would definitely rent my points out and pay cash for a cruise before using points for a cruise anyway. If I lived in Orlando I would've looked at it very differently.

Yup, same here. I bought at boardwalk so I would choose to stay there over Rivera 100% of the time because of proximity. I'm also in the process of closing on a BLT contract, which again due to location I would pick over Reflections, though I'm sure I'll go over there for dinner sometime. So I wasn't too worried about that restriction. I also know that the trade in value for cruises isn't great and since I own at resorts that do pretty well on the rental market I would definitely rent my points out and pay cash for a cruise before using points for a cruise anyway. If I lived in Orlando I would've looked at it very differently.
My hope is that the new properties are so popular it makes booking a standard view BWV studio easier. :)

I think they buy direct simply because of the line of business they are in. Pete is well off enough to keep buying contracts if he wants to hit Riviera and future resorts. The others I think factor in the need to take a day at those resorts in to mind since it's their job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts