POFQ vs CBR Theming

Canoook

Earning My Ears
Helping plan a Disney World trip for a friend and his sister (both adults) while they are in Florida for a couple nights. They are from New Orleans, but both love going to places like the Bahamas, Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and Antigua. Based purely off theme and immersion, would POFQ or CBR hold the style and feel of their reference points better? I know CBR is really hot right now with the Skyliner, but I want to make sure I don't sell an idea that isn't accurate.

Having been to the French Quarter in NOLA, I can say with certainty that Disney's version at POFQ is certainly... not really the same LOL. I don't think it will necessarily feel like "home" to them, know what I mean? 🤣

Not sure about how CBR would compare either; I think that sometimes it's OK to go outside your comfort zone just a teeny bit, and there is no better place to be "adventurous" than WDW 🙂

Why not the Cabins at Fort Wilderness? Or, Coronado Springs? And AKL sometimes has excellent (and overlooked) great rates and is a fantastic example of Disney lodging.

They might even enjoy AOA or POP; it depends on how immersive they want the theming to be! Even POR might be just different enough - the Alligator Bayou rooms are so cute now that the reno is complete!

If you compare the resorts to the "real thing," nothing is going to add up. Disney does an admirable job trying to recreate the feel of various locations, but it will always be just that-- an impersonation. POFQ is not the same as the real New Orleans just as the Polynesian is not the same as Hawaii, and Epcot is not the same as travelling the globe. Don't sell either resort as "just like New Orleans" or "just like the Caribbean." I would suggest that they look at the website and check out the pictures of each resort, then pick something that appeals to them. Supposedly the new tower at Coronado Springs is quite nice and has a more adult feel to it, for example, if you are looking to stay with a moderate. I have stayed at all of the resorts but CSR and enjoyed every one. Short of the horror story of the Skyliner when it first opened, it seems like the gondola is a great, quick way to get around. CBR is very pretty and the dining options are better than POFQ since it includes Sebastian's. POFQ has no table service restaurant. All of the Disney resorts are well done and clean. It's just a matter of what appeals to individuals.

I have stayed at both and like both, however I would not suggest your friends choose either one of the two. I would think about CSR, specifically the Tower there. An adult trip difffers from a "family" trip, IMO. CSR seems to be geared more to adult travelers, and is themed differently.

Keep in mind that both CBR and POFQ are very popular family resorts, and quite frankly, will be filled with kids. Now I love kids, travel with them often, and never try to avoid them in WDW, but I do enjoy a bit of an escape once I return to the resort if I am traveling with adults. CSR offers that, and I am told that the Tower is even more so.

I've stayed at POFQ - twice and just got back from staying at CBR. Love them both. We have been at Disney over MLK weekend, so parks are crowded, there is usually a cheer competition, and we expect general chaos.

FQ - small, less walking to get to the main building. The pool is awesome (my son loves it!) My husband and I love the bar area and as a family of 3 would grab dessert and a drink and relax in the evening, they have some fun family games available. They only have a quick service, so food variety is limited. The single bus stop is a HUGE plus. When were were at POFQ we only shared buses with POR occasionally. This is great when trying to get to and from the parks. We are rope drop people, so there were usually lines for the buses each morning, but people were pretty good about being orderly. :)

CBR - it is big, there are internal buses. We never used them. The Skyliner! Oh, it was fabulous. We went to HS (twice), and EPCOT. It was great not waiting on buses. When we went to AK, we actually were already at HS and just took a bus from there. We also took the Skyliner to AoA to see the Cars area. The main pool was very busy (it was 80 degrees in January!) CBR has better food options and with the Skyliner you could head over the Boardwalk area near EPCOT for even more food options. Our biggest issue was the bus to MK. There are a lot of internal bus stops. We were in Barbados, so the bus started at Martinque, Main building, Barbados, Trinidad, Jamaica and Aruba, then it leaves the property to head to MK. I've read that sometimes they split the resort for the buses, but that wasn't happening when we were there. We like to be on the move. It might not be quicker, but I would consider taking the Skyliner to HS, then the bus to MK. I feel like if I'm moving at least I'm making progress. I should mention we stayed in Barbados 33. It is a preferred room and it was the perfect location for us. Close to the main skyliner station on the same side of the resort as the main building and the bus stop was just outside our building.

So which would I pick next time. Depends on my focus of the trip. This time, it was HS and Rise of the Resistance. POFQ is more laid back, less busy because it isn't as big. My son would take either, both pools have slides. My husband would say POFQ, he "doesn't like people". But yet, we go to Disney. I also don't over plan or make too many dining reservations, so it works. For me, I would probably pick CBR. centrally located and the skyliner just gives you so many options, that don't involve buses. I feel like the Skyliner gives you flexibility, you can change your plans if you want.

I'm from Louisiana originally, and the first time my family stayed on property back in the 90s, my parents and sister advocated for CBR because it was so "different" from home. They got that the resorts were all Disney versions of New Orleans, the South, and the Caribbean, but CBR was so unique to them that it was their choice going away. I preferred either Port Orleans resort because I thought the mansions were beautiful (I think they were called something different back then), but was out voted. We loved our stay at CBR.

Years later, my siblings and I stayed at POR and loved it, and stayed there again during our most recent trip last February. My sister commented then, as we were walking to POR from POFQ after a stroll around the property, how she remembered not wanting to stay there way back when and how she really liked both Port Orleans resorts now.

Basically, I would send your friends images of the resorts and pros and cons for each and ask them what they think they'd like. I'd include CSR in that as well. You never know what will resonate with them unless you ask.

I don't think you can go wrong with either resort but I'd tell them to look at CBR. It is a sanitized version of the Caribbean for sure but it is very pretty. The pluses are the Skyliner, the food court area is pretty new and Sebastians ( TS ) is supposed to be fabulous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!