Point transfer information needed please

sydconmom

Mouseketeer
Hi All

Longtime member and this is the first time we find ourselves in point deficit (college students schedules thanks!). We are looking to rent/transfer points from another member. Our UY is Aug, so is there a specific UY we would need to transfer in from? Would any UY affect our 11-month booking window? This would be for our 2020 trip or possibly 2021 trip, so we are trying to get a clear understanding of the process so we know our options for booking our next few trips before borrowing, etc. Any help/tips are appreciated!

Also, we will probably need to do this 2 years in a row, 2020/21 then be done with this nonsense, are there rules that could prohibit that?

Thanks!

Last edited:
As with your own points, the points would need to be available at the time of stay.
Makes sense, but if I wanted to make the reservation at 11-month home resort booking window would the transfer need to be from a member with the same home resort or just points that are in the 7-month window? So for example could I rent/transfer from a member with say a May UY into my August UY so long as they are used by the end of May UY?

Yes if you want to book at 11 months you home resort a transfer from someone with same resort as you. If they were from a different resort they would have the 7 month at your resort, but still have the ability for 11 months at the transferred resort points. Points retain expiration and home resort priority when transferred. I don't think the points will appear on your dashboard, you have to call MS and they can book it.

Yes if you want to book at 11 months you home resort a transfer from someone with same resort as you. If they were from a different resort they would have the 7 month at your resort, but still have the ability for 11 months at the transferred resort points. Points retain expiration and home resort priority when transferred. I don't think the points will appear on your dashboard, you have to call MS and they can book it.
Thank you thats what we thought but wanted to be sure! Another question I forgot to add in the original post is, we will probably need to do this 2 years in a row, 2020/21 then be done with this nonsense, are there rules that could prohibit that?

Thank you thats what we thought but wanted to be sure! Another question I forgot to add in the original post is, we will probably need to do this 2 years in a row, 2020/21 then be done with this nonsense, are there rules that could prohibit that?
You can only have one transfer per year, so the calendar dates for your 11 months need to be carefully calibrated.

You cannot use transfered points to book online, they will not show up in your account, you have to call MS. This means any reservation requiring to be online straight at 8am to have a chance (AKV consierge and value most of the year, CCV studios, BLT standard and BWV standard during peak season) may be impossible to book.

You might also consider a larger single transfer for 2020 if you find one and then use your own points with banking/borrowing for 2021 or some combination that works out so you don't have to do 2 transfers. A lot depends on what you find available though and if your budget allows for more this year or if it needs to be spread out.

Thanks all for your tips. We decided to switch from going in August to May in 2020 & 2021 ( it works for us next year, hooray!) and we will try to get an AP discount for first or last night of stay versus renting/borrowing. We think this will be a short term (2-3 trip) issue so we really don't want to buy an add on with today's prices.

Are the transfer rules the same if you have two of your own contracts as it does from member to member? Just wondering if those people that combine multiple of their own different resort contracts into one pool to use all at the 7 month mark.

If you have different contracts under the same membership number, there is no need or option for a transfer.

If you have different contracts under separate membership numbers, you would need to transfer points in order to pool them at 11 months (same home resort) or 7 months (different home resort). MS will sometimes waive the 1 per year transfer restriction if the contracts have the same owner. Otherwise, the rules for transfers are the same.

You cannot use transfered points to book online, they will not show up in your account, you have to call MS. This means any reservation requiring to be online straight at 8am to have a chance (AKV consierge and value most of the year, CCV studios, BLT standard and BWV standard during peak season) may be impossible to book.

The exception is when the points are the same resort and use year as your own, then they will show up in your online account and function just like your own points. I can confirm first hand that it works.

The exception is when the points are the same resort and use year as your own, then they will show up in your online account and function just like your own points. I can confirm first hand that it works.

If the transfer is done in the way that shows them. I’ve had them not show too so it’s not guaranteed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!