Point transfer questions

hsc3boys

Mouseketeer
In June 2020 I’m planning to visit with by oldest friend and her girls along with my two boys. I’m a DVC member but will not have enough points to cover the stay for all of us, I’m currently looking at our options and considering renting points.
I understand a transfer from another member could also be an option, but I have no idea how this works, would someone be kind enough to explain how this works, the pros and cons. I’m from the U.K. so we will staying around 14 nights.

In June 2020 I’m planning to visit with by oldest friend and her girls along with my two boys. I’m a DVC member but will not have enough points to cover the stay for all of us, I’m currently looking at our options and considering renting points.
I understand a transfer from another member could also be an option, but I have no idea how this works, would someone be kind enough to explain how this works, the pros and cons. I’m from the U.K. so we will staying around 14 nights.
Renting might be your best option unless you need a large number of points, or you find someone with a small number similar to what you need. There is a limit of one transfer in or out per membership. So for example, someone has 200 points to transfer, but you only need 50, if they transfer just the 50 then technically their 150 other points can no longer be transferred. There are reports of Disney being lenient on this, but I don’t know that you’ll find someone willing to test that. The other option is you take all their points, whatever that is, then you can use them and bank them as you would like over the next year or two. Just keep in mind, transferred points retain all the characteristics of the original membership; UY, banking deadline, home resort, etc.

I’d look around in the rental/trade forum to see if anyone is looking to get rid of points that might match your needs. You can post questions in someone’s thread, but you can not post a wanted thread. Also, put yourself on the Timeshare Store’s mailing list, they send out emails a couple of times per week of people looking to rent or transfer their points.

Good luck!

Last edited:

You can look at the rental board to see if anyone has points available for transfer. I think that one or two of the brokers may also coordinate transfers. When transferring the points are actually placed into your account and under your control which is a pro over renting where the reservation is under the control of the person you are renting from. A con is that unless they match your UY and home resort you will not be able to see them online and will have to call MS in order to use them. Sometimes even if they do match they are not set up for you to be able to view them online. Only current points can be transferred and transferred points cannot be borrowed but they can be banked. You don't have to get points that match your UY but they do have to be eligible to be used for the time of your stay. Technically you are not supposed to pay for transferred points and any mention that you have to MS will usually end the call. Because the owner who is transferring will have no recourse once the transfer is done they often will require payment up front or at least partial payment up front and the rest upon completion of the transfer.

You cannot use Transferred points in the online program, I BELIEVE. I have been told that they don't show up in your tally and that you need to call Member Services when you want to use them.

You cannot use Transferred points in the online program, I BELIEVE. I have been told that they don't show up in your tally and that you need to call Member Services when you want to use them.

If the CM processes the transfer in a certain way and it's the same resort and UY then they will be available online. We have a family member with same resort and UY as one of ours. Last year the transfer did not show up online. This year it did. That leads me to believe it depends on the CM who is processing it and their knowledge of how to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!