Points Insurance?

mickg7dyd

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I think I asked this question last year without much success but as we now have a few more members I thought I would try again.Do any of the UK DVC members use any form of insurance for their points?
I've noticed the slip that comes with the confirmation letters but have not seriously checked them out,also tried to get UK based insurance but all the companies I tried were not interested.
Any thoughts?

Mick.

:smooth:

I was pleased to see the example of cost / remuneration on the insurance which is promoted on those slips that come with the booking confirmations (and was detailed in the most recent Vacation Magic). Until now it has been very unclear (as far as I could see) exactly what the set-up would be compensation, and how much it would cost.

I don't think I would be tempted to take out insurance for our 'normal' family holidays when we don't stand to lose too many points, but I'm weighing up the pros and cons for our next trip when we're taking 8 other family members and tying up nearly three years' worth of points! Not only are there a lot of points at stake for this booking, but with 12 of us travelling, the chances of someone being unable to travel must be increased as well.

At the moment I'm trying to be philisophical about it and think that if we lost the points, the cash wouldn't really compensate us for a cancelled trip anyway, but then again I think of the points we'd lose on our GV booking just for the first night if our flight was delayed and wonder whether I should take the insurance!

I haven't been able to find any UK brokers who will quote for points insurance.

I can't see this offering any value to me, I don't understand 1) what they are insuring and 2) how it can be proved you have "lost the use of your points" if that is what they are offering. Even if they go into a "holding account" it should be possible to get use out of the points.

I know there are a lot of people who like to take out insurance "just in case...." but I can't see any time when this really has any value.

I took the annual Amex insurance last time. I asked them how they value the holiday if it was cancelled, they said that they go on how much it would cost to book paying cash. I thought this sounded much better than the $5 a point you get with DVC. I am not sure if all insurances do this, but they must give you something back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter