Points, renting, and the Olympics......

erick10520

Mouseketeer
Highly speculative but just a thought............Was reading that Tampa applied for consideration to host the Olympics (2012??) and included Orlando as one of the selling points to the International Olympic Committee (even included a picture of Cinderellas castle)..........What would implications on DVC members be if Tampa should win the bid:
A: We have rights to rooms during the event.
B: As all area lodging will no doubt overinflate their prices, would DVC members seek to rent out points at overinflated rates as well???? (Profiteering, how un-Disneylike......ahem...in my heart anyway)
C: Possibility that Disney may realize profit potential and try to work something out with members to gain control of rooms for that period.

Whatever the case can be interesting........

I wonder if they could make that premier time that year? Other than than and renting out t what they own, they couldn't hold back the reservations. I suppose they would hold a lottery if they wanted. They would likely close off WoS, some parking, but not likely close the other parks.

B: As all area lodging will no doubt overinflate their prices, would DVC members seek to rent out points at overinflated rates as well???? (Profiteering, how un-Disneylike......ahem...in my heart anyway)

Well, that's what people attempted to do with NYE 1999. Not sure how successful they were.

Disney couldn't commandeer our resorts but they might try the lottery system again. Or something like the Special Season Priority List they used to have.

One article on the possiblity of the Olympics mentioned a fear that the "regular" tourists might stay away and that it could end up with the hotels losing out. (However, I think if it were in Tampa, people who came to the Olympics might also include a trip to WDW before or after.)

Guess we'll have to wait and see if Tampa wins.

I doubt they would raise the points needed for whatever time it will be (some article mentioned it would possibly be in Sep if held in Florida). They can only make a maximum 20% change in any day or season per year and then of course they would have to lower points in another season (and then switch it back the next year). DVD makes no profit by raising or lowering points and thus no real incentive to raise points. More likely they would set up a special seasons list and probably a lottery. I have no doubt that a number who would get ressies for it would seriously consider renting; I have never rented but the thought would even cross my mind. Nothing prevents Disney from offering some deal to members to rent the time but highly doubt it would try--likelihood of accomplishing what it wants is low as Disney would likely not want to pay the price that members know they could get by renting themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter