Poll: Are you going to buy at Riviera

As a DVC Owner - are you planning on adding on points at Riviera

• Yes - I definitely will. I love everything I've seen about the resort

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Maybe - I am still waiting on more information (Points Charts, room selection, etc..)

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • No - I was but not now - I don't like the resale and/or likely points required.

Votes: 78 15.6%
  • No - If I add on, I'll add at one of the older resorts or buy resale

Votes: 154 30.9%
  • NO WAY - I was never even considering it.

Votes: 168 33.7%

• Total voters
Their sole purpose at their place of employment is to get you to part with your money. As with any relationship of that nature, questioning information provided is not questioning integrity.

And brace yourself... not every guide is above the board. My original guide was a used car salesman with a Mickey badge.
Having worked briefly years ago in timeshare, I have to agree. :)

I just got off the phone with my guide. In over ten years of working for Disney this was his best week of sales ever. I think there is a lot of interest out there for Riviera. A price increase on April 15th wouldn't surprise me at all.
My two cents...

1) Agree with PPs’ points that these are salespeople — reasonable to be skeptical of what they say in the sales process

2) Most customers for complex products don’t conduct a meaningful analysis before they purchase. They’re sold on the marketing materials, the desire to own something, and in this case “the magic”. Disney is marketing this well, and they have good material — a trifecta of new stuff: 1. New snazzy resort, 2. New gondola, 3. New Star Wars land “proximity”. I think it may well prove a powerful combo, resulting in lots of sales.

I’d be curious over time how many of these people go beyond break-even before they sell, though, as compared to past resorts.

There’s still a deal to be had for the right buyer. But there are fewer right buyers (who will actually save money on net over their ownership) given the longer break even period due to the high 1) point cost, 2) points needed for stay, 3) maintenance fees.

My two cents...

1) Agree with PPs’ points that these are salespeople — reasonable to be skeptical of what they say in the sales process

2) Most customers for complex products don’t conduct a meaningful analysis before they purchase. They’re sold on the marketing materials, the desire to own something, and in this case “the magic”. Disney is marketing this well, and they have good material — a trifecta of new stuff: 1. New snazzy resort, 2. New gondola, 3. New Star Wars land “proximity”. I think it may well prove a powerful combo, resulting in lots of sales.

I’d be curious over time how many of these people go beyond break-even before they sell, though, as compared to past resorts.

There’s still a deal to be had for the right buyer. But there are fewer right buyers (who will actually save money on net over their ownership) given the longer break even period due to the high 1) point cost, 2) points needed for stay, 3) maintenance fees.
All good points. To put things in perspective, Disney's "crime" here is that they are maybe a little aggressive with their cost avoidance assumptions or overly optimistic about the fluidity of points across resorts and room types. Placing this on a spectrum, it does fall further away from where they once were. But again, on that same spectrum are major chains who actively manipulate scenarios and obfuscate the truth and only fess up when an astute buyer paints them into a corner that they cannot back out of. Or worse yet, lesser companies who drive you to their sales office in the middle of nowhere and when you refuse to buy they berate you, kick you out of their office, and leave you to fend for yourself to get back to your hotel. (The first scenario happened to me, the second did not but it does happen.)

My point here is that it is fair to be critical of DVC and the changes they have made recently, but we should also consider the larger context as well.

Their sole purpose at their place of employment is to get you to part with your money. As with any relationship of that nature, questioning information provided is not questioning integrity.

And brace yourself... not every guide is above the board. My original guide was a used car salesman with a Mickey badge.

If that’s the way you view people without meeting them I’m sorry. I prefer evaluating people based on my interactions with them and their merit. Maybe it’s hokey, but I feel much better living my life that way.

All good points. To put things in perspective, Disney's "crime" here is that they are maybe a little aggressive with their cost avoidance assumptions or overly optimistic about the fluidity of points across resorts and room types. Placing this on a spectrum, it does fall further away from where they once were. But again, on that same spectrum are major chains who actively manipulate scenarios and obfuscate the truth and only fess up when an astute buyer paints them into a corner that they cannot back out of. Or worse yet, lesser companies who drive you to their sales office in the middle of nowhere and when you refuse to buy they berate you, kick you out of their office, and leave you to fend for yourself to get back to your hotel. (The first scenario happened to me, the second did not but it does happen.)

My point here is that it is fair to be critical of DVC and the changes they have made recently, but we should also consider the larger context as well.
I agree with all of this 100%

I was just talking to DH about Riviera... or rather, answering his various questions about why we need more points, why there and not adding on to a resort we already own, contract size I'd (we'd) want and why, etc. I feel like DVC should pay me a commission! :rotfl2:

I just changed my vote from “No I was interested but not now” to “Yes, definitely will.” I put down the deposit on a standard studio guaranteed week. At first the resale restrictions really bothered me; even more so since I have been interested in Riviera all along. I just got back from a trip though and seeing the models in person and then the gondolas being tested just made me think that the fundamental buy where you want to stay really is accurate. It is the advice that maybe people don’t like but that is so true. Long story short I settled on my direct OKW contract. We get AP’s for 5 of us, I wanted direct benefits and couldn’t get the direct points I wanted last year. Bottom line is that we love BLT and will love Riviera. If I can only stay at those two resorts at this point I would be perfectly fine. October OKW UY extended will be on the market soon. :)

Last edited:
I just changed my vote from “No I was interested but not now” to “Yes, definitely will.” I put down the deposit on a standard studio guaranteed week. At first the resale restrictions really bothered me; even more so since I have been interested in Riviera all along. I just got back from a trip though and seeing the models in person and then the gondolas being tested just made me think that the fundamental buy where you want to stay really is true. It is the advice that maybe people don’t like but that is so true. Long story short I settled on my direct OKW contract. We get AP’s for 5 of us, I wanted direct benefits and couldn’t get the direct points I wanted last year. Bottom line is that we love BLT and will love Riviera. If I can only stay at those two resorts at this point I would be perfectly fine. October OKW UY extended will be on the market soon. :)

Congrats! We don’t like the resale restrictions either, but we bought where we wanted to stay as well. We might occasionally stay at other L14 resorts going forward, but I doubt it. We’ve tried out a lot and purchased where we like staying.

See you on the gondola! :cool1:

Congrats! We don’t like the resale restrictions either, but we bought where we wanted to stay as well. We might occasionally stay at other L14 resorts going forward, but I doubt it. We’ve tried out a lot and purchased where we like staying.

See you on the gondola! :cool1:

To be fair I think you can only say you are purchasing where you think you will like staying. Unless you had a love for Caribbean Beach Resort?

To be fair I think you can only say you are purchasing where you think you will like staying. Unless you had a love for Caribbean Beach Resort?

Well, I never stayed at BLT or VGF before buying them, and I love both of them. I had stayed at GF but never VGF. I consider myself and my DH smart enough and decisive enough to know if something looks like we’ll like it or not. I wouldn’t have bought points there if I was worried about liking it.

Well, I never stayed at BLT or VGF before buying them, and I love both of them. I had stayed at GF but never VGF. I consider myself and my DH smart enough and decisive enough to know if something looks like we’ll like it or not. I wouldn’t have bought points there if I was worried about liking it.

That's a different thing to say of course. I hope it lives up to your expectations.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I would say that yes I do like CBR. I am fairly new to DVC (can’t afford the cash prices) and CBR was always my favorite moderate. A factor in making CBR the best of the moderate resorts for us was the location. Really close to HS, fairly close to EP, and not far from MK. That is even more true with Riviera thanks to the Skyliner.

And @TexasChick123 I went on a DVC tour with my folks when we were there in October and when I asked about Riviera she described it as much as she knew as “if VGF and BLT had a baby.” Everything I have seen that seems to be the case. Of course there are unknowns but I think we will both be quite happy with our purchases.

Last edited:
I can’t speak for anyone else but I would say that yes I do like CBR. I am fairly new to DVC (can’t afford the cash prices) and CBR was always my favorite moderate. A factor in making CBR the best of the moderate resorts for us was the location. Really close to HS, fairly close to EP, and not far from MK. That is even more true with Riviera thanks to the Skyliner.

And @TexasChic123 I went on a DVC tour with my folks when we were there in October and when I asked about Riviera she described it as much as she knew as “if VGF and BLT had a baby.” Everything I have seen that seems to be the case. Of course there are unknowns but I think we will both be quite happy with our purchases.

The point I quoted is generally being ignored or expanded beyond what was meant but that's ok. And many do buy during construction and are as happy as they thought. And many have found resorts to not be what they expected and some of those were very experienced Disney goers and DVC owners.

I toured the models and actually found them a bit different than the pictures. I also have liked all DVCs and everyone will have their favorites.

I just changed my vote from “No I was interested but not now” to “Yes, definitely will.” I put down the deposit on a standard studio guaranteed week. At first the resale restrictions really bothered me; even more so since I have been interested in Riviera all along. I just got back from a trip though and seeing the models in person and then the gondolas being tested just made me think that the fundamental buy where you want to stay really is accurate. It is the advice that maybe people don’t like but that is so true. Long story short I settled on my direct OKW contract. We get AP’s for 5 of us, I wanted direct benefits and couldn’t get the direct points I wanted last year. Bottom line is that we love BLT and will love Riviera. If I can only stay at those two resorts at this point I would be perfectly fine. October OKW UY extended will be on the market soon. :)

Congrats on getting a guaranteed week! Would you mind sharing what week you picked? (Always curious which ones people pick).

Were the models different than the videos of the models that bloggers and others posted while touring them?

I had also seen those before touring and yes, for me there were differences that hadn't stood out in the video. The small master was a big thing I hadn't expected nor noticed in the video. The living area actually felt under utilized to me and it hadn't sunk in about the balconies and how the living area gained a lot of its size because the balconies don't go the full length. That isn't uncommon but it's not my preference if given a choice. I also had thought it was very similar to VGF from pictures and videos but lost a lot of that feeling in person for the 1BR. I also thought the Disney art was added "just because" vs really behind coherent with the design. The studio was pretty much as expected from photos and videos and we entered that first. There's some nice changes with the bed for storage vs VGF or PVB. I was then really quite surprised how differently I felt about the 1BR when going thru it. There's a couple design choices/ patterns used though that are so not my favorite that hadn't grabbed my attention as much in the videos. But, then there's many things in several DVC rooms that I'd never put in my own home. :laughing: I am very curious to see a Tower room now. It looks so completely different in the pictures from the theme I got in the model for the other 2 room types . I'm expecting the resort to be quite nice. Drove past it and it's definitely giant like the new Coronado springs tower.

Congrats on getting a guaranteed week! Would you mind sharing what week you picked? (Always curious which ones people pick).
Riviera deeds popped up on OCC starting the 12th. So far there is one deeded GW, #48 in a preferred studio.

Regarding that I’ll ask a question. My google calendar app will number the weeks. Are those aligned with Disney most years?

Last edited:

After briefly considering week 3 which is MLK day (it was cheapest), and October weeks, I landed on week 45. That is basically the second week of November and includes Veteran’s Day. I was tempted by October over Columbus Day but the parks are so busy then and it is still hotter generally and tail end of hurricane season. Deciding on week 45 was a bit of a last minute decision but it will give both the end of Food and Wine and Christmas in the other parks.

I did verify that with Riviera they are not doing the runDisney GW’s. If they had I would have done that since it adds a little more flexibility.

Riviera deeds popped up on OCC starting the 12th. So far there is one deeded GW, #48 in a preferred studio.

Regarding that I’ll ask a question. My google calendar app will number the weeks. Are those aligned with Disney most years?

I think so. It is a little odd to me that the guides are so mysterious about it. I finally got my guide to email me a copy of the weeks/dates. Ask your guide for it. If they want to make a sale they will get it to you! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts