Poll: Do You Put Onions in Mashed Potatoes?

Do You Put Onions in Mashed Potatoes?

• Yes

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • No

Votes: 161 89.9%
  • No, but I know people who do.

• No, but I eat/ate at a restaurant that does.

• Occasionally

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
I was reading a cruise forum. Someone was complaining that the cruise line didn't offer mashed potatoes every night on the buffet. Another person said that when they do offer them, they have onions in them, so they won't eat them. Yet another person commented that even, if they offered them all the time people wouldn't be happy, because some people want onions & others don't. Now, I've had garlic & cheese in mashed potatoes many times, especially with pork, but I've never heard of adding onions to mashed potatoes. Is that common? Are we missing out on something delicious?

I was reading a cruise forum. Someone was complaining that the cruise line didn't offer mashed potatoes every night on the buffet. Another person said that when they do offer them, they have onions in them, so they won't eat them. Yet another person commented that even, if they offered them all the time people wouldn't be happy, because some people want onions & others don't. Now, I've had garlic & cheese in mashed potatoes many times, especially with pork, but I've never heard of adding onions to mashed potatoes. Is that common? Are we missing out on something delicious?
:confused: I'm confused by this - area we talking about boiling onions in the water with the potatoes before mashing, chunks of raw onion mashed in or something else? I've had whipped potatoes with chives (small green flecks) in them - it seems like more of a garnish than a flavour element. Never had them with onions any other way that I can remember and definitely wouldn't prepare them like that at home.

I’ve seen recipes for mashed potatoes with cream cheese and chives, garlic mashed etc. but when it comes to my mashed potatoes I like them old school, butter, milk, salt and pepper (if russet a pinch of sugar and a pinch of garlic powder.) I’ll eat them any way they’re served though. I put green onions on my bakers so I wouldn’t think twice about eating onions in mashed potatoes.

:confused: I'm confused by this - area we talking about boiling onions in the water with the potatoes before mashing, chunks of raw onion mashed in or something else? I've had whipped potatoes with chives (small green flecks) in them - it seems like more of a garnish than a flavour element. Never had them with onions any other way that I can remember and definitely wouldn't prepare them like that at home.
It looks like most recipes call for the onions to be sautéed in sugar to be carmelized and then you stir them in at the end. It sounds good to me, but too many people that I’d be cooking for don’t like onions so I probably wouldn’t add them.

🤮 I actually barfed on the table when I was five because my mom made me eat onions on my mashed potatoes. I still pretty much feel the same way.
I barfed on the table when I was five too! Asparagus was the culprit. My (ex) stepmother forced me to eat so I tried to swallow it whole. My dad said to her, “I told you” and let me eat mashed potatoes for dinner. True story.

It looks like most recipes call for the onions to be sautéed in sugar to be carmelized and then you stir them in at the end. It sounds good to me, but too many people that I’d be cooking for don’t like onions so I probably wouldn’t add them.
I wouldn't mind, and would certainly eat them like that if they were served to me but can't see myself going to the trouble of making them.

I'm as confused as you are. :p I've never taken a cruise on that line, so I don't know how they serve them. I was imagining raw onions & thought that sounded nasty, which is why I asked the question to see, if we were missing out on something delicious.

That sounds pretty good. I may try that, but leave off the sugar. Onions sauteed in butter, salt & pepper may be really good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter