Poll: Do You Put Onions in Mashed Potatoes?

Do You Put Onions in Mashed Potatoes?

• Yes

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • No

Votes: 161 89.9%
  • No, but I know people who do.

• No, but I eat/ate at a restaurant that does.

• Occasionally

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I barfed on the table when I was five too! Asparagus was the culprit. My (ex) stepmother forced me to eat so I tried to swallow it whole. My dad said to her, “I told you” and let me eat mashed potatoes for dinner. True story.

Pistachio pudding for me, at around age 10. I didn’t barf, but I was dry heaving the whole time. I wasn’t allowed to leave until I finished it all. After that four hour battle of wills, none of us kids ever had to go through it again.

This was before I developed my tree nut allergy but I wonder if that was part of the reason I hated it.

I've never heard of this either...but have read all of the comments in hopes that a "pro-onion" mashed potato lover might share a recipe. I'm very curious! :)

🤮 I actually barfed on the table when I was five because my mom made me eat onions on my mashed potatoes. I still pretty much feel the same way.

Just reading the OP makes me want to
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BaTIarXwuz0/WymTR0Kc1oI/AAAAAAAAAUo/W_xQ8QGJJTIQuUfdGzBZlluRVAD2ipgbQCLcBGAs/s1600/vomit-smiley.gif

Who would want to ruin perfectly good mashed potatoes like that?

EXACTLY!

It looks like most recipes call for the onions to be sautéed in sugar to be carmelized and then you stir them in at the end.

Then leave them in a bowl on the side so people can add them or NOT. :crazy2:

I like onions.

I like mashed potatoes.

I like hash browns or home fries with onions. Or potato stuffed pierogi with sauteed onions on the side.

But even the thought of mashed potatoes with onions sounds nasty.

Last edited:
Pistachio pudding for me, at around age 10. I didn’t barf, but I was dry heaving the whole time. I wasn’t allowed to leave until I finished it all. After that four hour battle of wills, none of us kids ever had to go through it again.

This was before I developed my tree nut allergy but I wonder if that was part of the reason I hated it.

My uncle was a doctor and said that if a particular food makes you physically gag then it’s often a sign that your body (as opposed to just your taste buds) REALLY doesn’t like it and you could eventually develop an allergy to it. I can’t stand hazelnuts; Nutella smells absolutely disgusting to me and something like a Ferrero Rocher makes me gag so I can’t even swallow it, so I figure I shouldn’t push it!

My wife Makes Colcannon Mash regularly in the wintertime.
She will use Mashed Potatos, Cabbage, Spring Onions ( scallions) & a little garlic all mashed together.
Sometimes she will use Leeks as well.
We love it with a variety of meats & veg.

:confused: I'm confused by this - area we talking about boiling onions in the water with the potatoes before mashing, chunks of raw onion mashed in or something else?

That's how my mom made them when I was growing up. She would chop an onion right into the water with the potatoes and it would cook down so that when they were mashed you barely noticed there was onion in there.

I don't eat a lot of mash potatoes simply because they don't fit into my nutrition, but I absolutely love them. I don't get the strong reactions of "OMG no!!". It's quite common to dice up potatoes and saute them up with onions, green peppers and such. I don't know why putting onions in mashed potatoes would be much different.

Therefore, I voted "other". I don't do it since I don't eat them much of any kind, but if they were served I'd eat it and come back for more.

I don't eat a lot of mash potatoes simply because they don't fit into my nutrition, but I absolutely love them. I don't get the strong reactions of "OMG no!!". It's quite common to dice up potatoes and saute them up with onions, green peppers and such. I don't know why putting onions in mashed potatoes would be much different.

Therefore, I voted "other". I don't do it since I don't eat them much of any kind, but if they were served I'd eat it and come back for more.
Same, I’ve never made mashed potatoes with onion, I’ve never eaten mashed potatoes with onion, I’ve never seen mashed potatoes with onion, but potatoes and onion go great together (hash browns, sour cream and onion potato chips, breakfast potatoes, potato salad), plus garlic mashed potatoes is popular. My family loves potato leek soup.

The bolded part is different--that's what we called Potatoes O'Brien growing up, and it's delicious. The saute is what makes all that work. Plain ol' onions in mashed potatoes? Crime against humanity is what this is. :D

Last edited:
That's how my mom made them when I was growing up. She would chop an onion right into the water with the potatoes and it would cook down so that when they were mashed you barely noticed there was onion in there.
That's what I do. I also add garlic to the water and salt. You'd barely notice that there were onions or garlic when the potatoes are mashed with butter, milk and sour cream. You'd just notice that they have a very nice flavor.

So when I was growing up, I learned to cook at my granny's knee... she would thinly slice... really thinly slice of onion like almost transparent, then chop into small piece and put into the the hot potatoes then mash then up a bit then add in the butter and cream... she said that it added flavor and moisture to the potatoes... so that's how I have made mashed potatoes forever.... I have taken it a step farther... with adding garlic, cheese, bacon, green onions, at different times to fancy up the potatoes...

A little onion cooked and mashed in wouldn't be awful. Caramelized onions added to mashed potatoes sounds gross, but I'm not a big fan of onions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter