Poll: Do You Put Onions in Mashed Potatoes?

Do You Put Onions in Mashed Potatoes?

• Yes

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • No

Votes: 161 89.9%
  • No, but I know people who do.

• No, but I eat/ate at a restaurant that does.

• Occasionally

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The bolded part is different--that's what we called Potatoes O'Brien growing up, and it's delicious. The saute is what makes all that work. Plain ol' onions in mashed potatoes? Crime against humanity is what this is. :D

Ahh, thanks for the Potatoes O'Brien name, it was escaping me. I agree the saute is what makes it great. I may not like raw onions in mashed potatoes as much as I'd like sauteed, but I like onions so I'm good all around. Perhaps sauteed red onions would be even better.

Now if you want to talk about crimes against humanity as it relates to potatoes...soggy french fries should be against the law. :crazy2:

Just reading the OP makes me want to
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BaTIarXwuz0/WymTR0Kc1oI/AAAAAAAAAUo/W_xQ8QGJJTIQuUfdGzBZlluRVAD2ipgbQCLcBGAs/s1600/vomit-smiley.gif
For sure!!! lol

Ahh, thanks for the Potatoes O'Brien name, it was escaping me. I agree the saute is what makes it great. I may not like raw onions in mashed potatoes as much as I'd like sauteed, but I like onions so I'm good all around. Perhaps sauteed red onions would be even better.

Now if you want to talk about crimes against humanity as it relates to potatoes...soggy french fries should be against the law. :crazy2:
Red onions are best used raw, because they are so mild, white and yellow for cooked. When I picture mashed potatoes with onion, I would assume they would be sautéed and whipped into the potatoes.

Oh heck no! Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite foods. Why ruin them with onions?

I used to like onions. Now if I eat them they make my stomach hurt as in doubled over hurt. It's gotten to the point I can't even stand the smell of them because the pain it causes.

🤮 I actually barfed on the table when I was five because my mom made me eat onions on my mashed potatoes. I still pretty much feel the same way.

Brussel Sprouts for me. My mom never made me eat anything I didn't want to again. Unfortunately, when we have family dinners and she prepares something, I can't eat it because she puts onions in it. A lot of onions.

Who puts onions in mashed potatoes? Are you sure they didn't mistake it for garlic? Or are they referring to fried onions as a decorative topping? Onions in mashed potatoes is just wrong.

Do they mean green onions? Cuz that I have done. But, like anything else...noooooo. Maybe caramelized if I was feeling fancy...

Do they mean green onions? Cuz that I have done. But, like anything else...noooooo. Maybe caramelized if I was feeling fancy...
Those can be good. I tend to prefer chives though. But I can see them being used.

DW somertimes adds a few of those crispy onions from a can on top of the mashed potatoes. Those don't have a strong onion-y taste though.
I've had those added on a few occasions when eating at a steakhouse. They're yummy when added with all the fixin's.

Well I couldn't find the post but someone asked for a recipe:
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/caramelized-onion-mashed-potatoes/

I looked it up because I was curious. I love carmelized onions on a lot of things and I love mashed potatoes but just the two together, doesn't sound appetizing. Now, add in the cheese and bacon and it sounds much better but that, to me, is a potato casserole not mashed potatoes.

But boiled onions? NO.

See, I don't think there's a big difference between putting onion in and garlic. I happen to be allergic to garlic, so I can't eat garlic mashed potatoes, but I see it as a similar concept. People put all kinds of things in mashed potatoes. I will agree that "plain" are among my favorite. But I also love twice baked potatoes...some cheese, a bit of bacon and paprika on top. OK, I'm going to stop now because I'm hungry for something I can't eat. :D

Last edited:
had to come back to say: I just remembered my Mom's use of leftover mashed potatoes! She would take left over mashed potatoes and grate onion in them along with some other stuff for flavor, egg and a bit of milk. She made them into patties and pan fried in a bit of butter. They were pretty dang good! So I guess I have had onions in mashed potatoes! Sort of. But with her grating them, they cooked to nothing when she fried them.

She did the same with leftover baked potatoes only she grated the cold potato too. And she made hash browns.

had to come back to say: I just remembered my Mom's use of leftover mashed potatoes! She would take left over mashed potatoes and grate onion in them along with some other stuff for flavor, egg and a bit of milk. She made them into patties and pan fried in a bit of butter. They were pretty dang good! So I guess I have had onions in mashed potatoes! Sort of. But with her grating them, they cooked to nothing when she fried them.

She did the same with leftover baked potatoes only she grated the cold potato too. And she made hash browns.

Yes, my mother and grandmother would do this--they called them potato pancakes. Again, the frying part makes it better, and something different IMHO.

No. Just no. I don't like onions on or in anything. Raw, sauteed, or any kind. Why would someone be so cruel to mashed potatoes?

Yes, my mother and grandmother would do this--they called them potato pancakes. Again, the frying part makes it better, and something different IMHO.
Yep, mom made potato pancakes, pretty yummy stuff. I think she used leftover mashed potatoes flattened into a patty, brushed on a little egg wash and dipped them in some bread crumbs for frying. Crispy on the outside, creamy mashed potatoes on the inside. I don't think she added anything else to them.

I don't get the strong reactions of "OMG no!!". It's quite common to dice up potatoes and saute them up with onions, green peppers and such. I don't know why putting onions in mashed potatoes would be much different.

Maybe it's a texture thing? :confused3 A PP mentioned she puts onion powder in. That sounded fine to me. It just flavors the mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes should be luscious, smooth, creamy, comforting goodness. :love: I don't like finding chunky, slimy, shiny, chewy bits in it. :crazy2:

I am the same with garlicky mashed potatoes. I ate at some gourmet restaurant. I have a feeling this was one of the signature sides of the place. Only I didn't know it. The mashed potatoes were served automatically with the entree. They were overpoweringly garlicky. So, already not to my taste. :crazy2: (I just like my mashed potatoes with milk/cream, lots of butter, S&P. For baked potatoes, add some sour cream. Occasionally melted cheese.) But, when I found chunky bits of garlic in the mashed potatoes, I stopped eating it.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BaTIarXwuz0/WymTR0Kc1oI/AAAAAAAAAUo/W_xQ8QGJJTIQuUfdGzBZlluRVAD2ipgbQCLcBGAs/s1600/vomit-smiley.gif

The bolded part is different--that's what we called Potatoes O'Brien growing up, and it's delicious. The saute is what makes all that work. Plain ol' onions in mashed potatoes? Crime against humanity is what this is. :D

Pretty much every diner here calls them Home Fries. I've never heard of Potatoes O'Brien. I wonder if it's a regional thing? :scratchin

Again, it might be a texture thing. All the ingredients are diced & remain chunky. Not wonderfully soft & creamy, then finding hidden bits of stuff in it. :crazy2:

I normally don't like my foods touching each other on a plate. And I will not eat peas that have been covered with mashed potatoes either. :snooty:

I barfed on the table when I was five too! Asparagus was the culprit. My (ex) stepmother forced me to eat so I tried to swallow it whole. My dad said to her, “I told you” and let me eat mashed potatoes for dinner. True story.
Pistachio pudding for me, at around age 10. I didn’t barf, but I was dry heaving the whole time. I wasn’t allowed to leave until I finished it all. After that four hour battle of wills, none of us kids ever had to go through it again.

This was before I developed my tree nut allergy but I wonder if that was part of the reason I hated it.
My uncle was a doctor and said that if a particular food makes you physically gag then it’s often a sign that your body (as opposed to just your taste buds) REALLY doesn’t like it and you could eventually develop an allergy to it. I can’t stand hazelnuts; Nutella smells absolutely disgusting to me and something like a Ferrero Rocher makes me gag so I can’t even swallow it, so I figure I shouldn’t push it!

Okay, someone needs to make a spin off thread called: Barfing Foods. :rotfl:

Mine was avocados. And yes, I'm allergic to it and a lot of raw fruits, raw nuts & a few vegetables. But, I can have them heated or cooked in some way, as that breaks down the protein or enzyme I am allergic to. It's called Oral Allergy Syndrome. I'm actually allergic to some trees. As fruits grow on trees, it mimics the DNA enough that I'm allergic/intolerant to them.

I barfed on the table when I was five too! Asparagus was the culprit. My (ex) stepmother forced me to eat so I tried to swallow it whole. My dad said to her, “I told you” and let me eat mashed potatoes for dinner. True story.
Mine was baked beans. I warned my father ahead of time that would be the result, so he to this day thinks I made myself do it. He never forced me to eat anything else, though.

I've never heard of onions in mashed potatoes. Mine have some cooked garlic or garlic powder mixed in, but I've never thought of onions. I have seen mashed potatoes garnished with chives which is fine with me. I also can see having onions as a topping if I were having a mashed potato bar, but I've never done that either.

Maybe it's a texture thing? :confused3 A PP mentioned she puts onion powder in. That sounded fine to me. It just flavors the mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes should be luscious, smooth, creamy, comforting goodness. :love: I don't like finding chunky, slimy, shiny, chewy bits in it. :crazy2:

I am the same with garlicky mashed potatoes. I ate at some gourmet restaurant. I have a feeling this was one of the signature sides of the place. Only I didn't know it. The mashed potatoes were served automatically with the entree. They were overpoweringly garlicky. So, already not to my taste. :crazy2: (I just like my mashed potatoes with milk/cream, lots of butter, S&P. For baked potatoes, add some sour cream. Occasionally melted cheese.) But, when I found chunky bits of garlic in the mashed potatoes, I stopped eating it.

Pretty much every diner here calls them Home Fries. I've never heard of Potatoes O'Brien. I wonder if it's a regional thing? :scratchin

Again, it might be a texture thing. All the ingredients are diced & remain chunky. Not wonderfully soft & creamy, then finding hidden bits of stuff in it. :crazy2:

I normally don't like my foods touching each other on a plate. And I will not eat peas that have been covered with mashed potatoes either. :snooty:

Yep, probably is a texture thing. Though I could go either way on mashed potatoes texture. It's kind of like peanut butter...smooth or crunchy? Mashed potatoes can be smooth (aka "whipped" potatoes), or have small potato pieces in it. Both are equally as good, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!