Poll: Guess what the first Riviera resale contracts listing price

How much will the first resale Riviera contracts be listed for by brokers?

• Under $50 pp

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • $50 pp to $75 pp

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • $75 pp to $100 pp

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • $100 pp to $125 pp

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • $125 pp to $150 pp

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • Over $150 pp

Votes: 42 38.2%

• Total voters
Other than SSR? That is R for resort and not something else right?

Still RVA is an annoying one to come up with an acronym that makes any sort of sense...

I changed it to RIV in the ROFR tool so it's now official.

Granted, I am not in charge of your speech, so by all means feel free to exercise your right to use any abbreviation you'd like. :-) (I might use LRR for "low-value resale Riviera")

How is Aulani comparable? You can stay anywhere you want with Aulani points.
You can’t book a WDW resort till 7 months with Aulani points. With DRR points you can book 11 months out. So if you want a studio the first or second week of December you can book one at WDW. Odd are you will not with Aulani points even at SSR.

Last edited:
Is RIV considered a moderate ? I'm not impressed by looking over the grounds of Caribbean Beach, your neighbors with All Star and there are no nearby attractions.

Is RIV considered a moderate ? I'm not impressed by looking over the grounds of Caribbean Beach, your neighbors with All Star and there are no nearby attractions.
Not a moderate, not a neighbor of All Stars (quite far away), not a neighbor of Pop and AoA if that’s what you meant, and yes you look at CBR. Personally for me being near CBR isn’t a downer it is nice grounds and opens up more food options at a Deluxe other than expensive time consuming TS.

As for nearby attractions that depends on your faith in the Skyliner.

Isn't the "worry" that DRR could also refer to the "lakeside lodge"...

Wouldn’t that become something like RLL? We have VGC and VGF and most seem to figure that out. Personally I like RR for Riviera and haven’t been concerned about an abreviation for Reflections. It’s a stupid name ala “Kingdom Tower” and it would be nice if they change it before it opens. Then it would be a totally different abbreviation. :teeth:

Wouldn’t that become something like RLL? We have VGC and VGF and most seem to figure that out. Personally I like RR for Riviera and haven’t been concerned about an abreviation for Reflections. It’s a stupid name ala “Kingdom Tower” and it would be nice if they change it before it opens. Then it would be a totally different abbreviation. :teeth:

The name reflections really drives home the idea of a luxury rehab center. Lol

I'm surprised so many said over $150pp, but what do I know.

VGF is a beloved resort located on a beautiful lake, has dues that are $2 lower per point (!!!), monorail access to two other deluxe resorts, retains the ability to trade out if desired and sells for ~$165pp. I don't see a universe where a lightly themed resort overlooking a moderate hotel with severe resale restrictions sells for the same amount, despite the rooms themselves being gorgeous.

My guess is it shakes out in the $125-150 range. Personally, I might be interested in the $100-125 range.

Not really a good comparison. It's not totally reliant on the monorail. There is also a 5-7 min ferry to MK. Not to mention the Grand Floridian is a 5 star resort with views of Cinderella Castle.

RIV will have a bus to AK and MK, right? And views of EP and DHS fireworks. VGF has to take a bus to AK and HS as well, and "only" has a view of one park's fireworks, and arguably that view isn't nearly as good as the view from TOTWL.

We plan all of our vacations 10-11 months out, book our home resorts, and offer at best a cursory glance at 7 months to see if anything piques our interest.

This would be us, too. All of our resale points are qualified to trade anywhere, but we still haven't done it. Once we almost booked BWV.

True, but they can list it for $165 all they like. Doesn't mean it will sell. Ultimately, someone who is in a pinch will break down and we'll see what the real market is within a year.

Someone in a pinch - in trouble with their loan or MFs - will have a fairly high price that they could not sell below. Otherwise they would have to come up with cash to close (to pay off the outstanding lien or MFs). At some point, they might rather let Disney take it (foreclose) than have to come up with cash out of pocket to sell. And this will take more than a year, most likely. My two VGF contracts were both distressed/formerly distressed contracts, bought in early and mid-2018. One was foreclosed and sold by either the bank that financed it or managed to buy it on the super cheap. That one actually had more price flexibility because the owner did not owe anything on it. The second one sold for a decent price, but not an amazing price, because the owners were the ones who'd bought it, financed it, and used it once or twice before falling behind on mortgage and MFs. They had to come up with cash to close in order to pay off the mortgage. I am only assuming that they'd rather come up with some money, painful as it was, than to take the hit to the credit to have a foreclosure in their history. But they were not able to come down very much at all. Also, both of these contracts came on the market 4-5 years after VGF started selling direct. We are not going to see prices really settle until 5+ years out. The ones selling in the first few years are going to be the distressed sellers, and they cannot go all that low because they will be underwater with their contracts. After 5 years, so maybe by 2024, you might see more sellers who are paid in full and who are selling because they aren't using their RIV points that much any more. Even so, many of those sellers may find it to be more lucrative to rent their points.

ETA: how many VGF owners, whether resale or direct, have EVER used their VGF points to stay somewhere else? BLT used to be a good deal for a combination of preferred home resort + decent price for sleep around points, until price per point went up dramatically in the last 12-18 months.

ETA: how many VGF owners, whether resale or direct, have EVER used their VGF points to stay somewhere else? BLT used to be a good deal for a combination of preferred home resort + decent price for sleep around points, until price per point went up dramatically in the last 12-18 months.

:wave2:

It's not often but I do. I also have used points from other contracts to stay at VGF so I don't worry about it too much. VGF points for studios and often other points for larger villas but sometimes even studios. My trade in vs out is probably in favor of the trading in.

Last edited:
What does RVA stand for ? Riviera Villa ?

I'm afraid I I don't get it for a winning option. haha If one removed the vowels then RVR could be used.

I'm going with RR when I reference or even Riviera.

I'm afraid I I don't get it for a winning option. haha If one removed the vowels then RVR could be used.

I'm going with RR when I reference or even Riviera.
I thought DVC gave it DDR then changed it to RIV. Who knows. Maybe in a year or two when they are buying points back for the resort because of poor value they will get rid of their restrictions on new resorts.

The original question was what the first Riviera contract will be listed for. I think a lot of the voting reflects what most people think the price will land at in 5 years. That would be a different poll than the one I voted on.
Good point. I am now changing my vote - from $125-$150 to $150+. The first one might be a small one, the person is underwater and wants to get out, and incentives are not so good for a 50-75 pointer.

I think it will be around $150 as well. I own at GCV. Every time I go to Disneyland I stay there. That’s the only DVC resort there, but it’s a very nice resort. I love the theme and location. I don’t get sick of staying there. So only being able to stay at one resort will not be a deal breaker for some people. If Riviera prices were somehow under $100 pp I would buy a resale contract there.

I'm surprised so many said over $150pp, but what do I know.

VGF is a beloved resort located on a beautiful lake, has dues that are $2 lower per point (!!!), monorail access to two other deluxe resorts, retains the ability to trade out if desired and sells for ~$165pp. I don't see a universe where a lightly themed resort overlooking a moderate hotel with severe resale restrictions sells for the same amount, despite the rooms themselves being gorgeous.

My guess is it shakes out in the $125-150 range. Personally, I might be interested in the $100-125 range.

Well, the question is asking about the FIRST resale contract for Riviera.

I'm also betting Skyliner will be a huge perk once it's operational, even moreso with the completed overhauls of both DHS and Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!