Poll: Guess what the first Riviera resale contracts listing price

How much will the first resale Riviera contracts be listed for by brokers?

• Under $50 pp

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • $50 pp to $75 pp

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • $75 pp to $100 pp

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • $100 pp to $125 pp

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • $125 pp to $150 pp

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • Over $150 pp

Votes: 42 38.2%

• Total voters
$150 a point and can only use at that resort, no thanks.
I'd be more concerned about whether or not their annual fees remain high compared to the other resorts, personally.

$10 or even $20 per point on the initial purchase price doesn't make much difference over the life of a 50-ish year contract, but those annual dues make a tremendous difference.

I'd be more concerned about whether or not their annual fees remain high compared to the other resorts, personally.

$10 or even $20 per point on the initial purchase price doesn't make much difference over the life of a 50-ish year contract, but those annual dues make a tremendous difference.
Good point as well. I guess if somone wanted a very small contract to just use to stay there it might make sense.

I'm concerned we're going to see a similar jump at all the resorts next year. Hopefully not quite as bad because of the transportation fees they are foisting on Riviera members...

The annual dues are tough there but more concerning to me is if your a resale buyer you have no other options. If something comes up and you need to make a change and have points expiring? That's a no thanks.

The annual dues are tough there but more concerning to me is if your a resale buyer you have no other options. If something comes up and you need to make a change and have points expiring? That's a no thanks.
Yeah, great point. The risk of putting points to waste certainly rises if you're limited to one resort. And wasting points is another great way to totally destroy the value of being a DVC owner in the first place. You might see a lot of resale Riviera owners on the Rent/Trade forums desperate to rent out their existing reservations because something came up and they can no longer make it, and their points will expire otherwise.

I cant imagine how hard it will be to book there in a few years when resale purchasers can only stay there and everyone has the option to stay there as well.

They are going to be forced to change the rules again. If you can't use the points you are paying for it will not be pretty.

Yeah, great point. The risk of putting points to waste certainly rises if you're limited to one resort. And wasting points is another great way to totally destroy the value of being a DVC owner in the first place.

On the other hand, in a different community (not the DIS) I've seen a fair number of supposedly "veteran" (note I didn't say "experienced") owners (most of whom bought direct), who have let points expire because they couldn't use them, or who literally did not realize they could book a resort out of their home resort at 7 months. So many posts of, "my home resort is not available when I want to go [3 months from now]! Now what??"

Experienced RIV resale buyers will be buying because they want to get RIV points on the cheap and fully intend to stay only at RIV and book 11 months out (and rent their reservation if they can't make it). Other resale buyers? Hopefully they come here and understand what they are in for.

I cant imagine how hard it will be to book there in a few years when resale purchasers can only stay there and everyone has the option to stay there as well.

Except that as more resale purchasers own at Riviera more of the legacy resort contracts will also be sold resale and those owners will not be able to use the points at Riviera.

On the other hand, in a different community (not the DIS) I've seen a fair number of supposedly "veteran" (note I didn't say "experienced") owners (most of whom bought direct), who have let points expire because they couldn't use them, or who literally did not realize they could book a resort out of their home resort at 7 months. So many posts of, "my home resort is not available when I want to go [3 months from now]! Now what??"

Experienced RIV resale buyers will be buying because they want to get RIV points on the cheap and fully intend to stay only at RIV and book 11 months out (and rent their reservation if they can't make it). Other resale buyers? Hopefully they come here and understand what they are in for.

Eventually though the availability for studios and perhaps 1BR's could get so difficult that even resale buyers may question ownership or buying there. If you can't feel confident of getting the booking even at 11 months, and you've got nothing if you don't, then what? DVC isn't about buying for trading into RCI and who wants to own where their only other option is to rent out to someone who can go at a time you can't that has availability? If you're looking for large villas that may work but small point buyers are probably going to be more than a little wary of buying for a studio especially for busy times of the year. CCV is showing that all times of the year can be difficult for studios.

Except that as more resale purchasers own at Riviera more of the legacy resort contracts will also be sold resale and those owners will not be able to use the points at Riviera.

Except that's 14 resorts of ownership vs 1. They are older resorts so will probably see more change over than Riviera initially but it's still 14 resorts vs 1.

Never really thought about the possibility of not being able to get a studio at 11 months even if you owned there with a very small resale contract. That does make one think. That wouldn't work at all.

And even if you have points that are eligible to stay there at 7 months out, getting a studio may be completely impossible during most of the year due to the owners of resale contracts there. I am thinking that if you wanted to try to stay there, (especially in a studio) your chances would be better early on and not after there are a lot of resale owners there?

I would like to stay there maybe once, but after that I would be good. I see nothing right now that really draws me to it. Not like the BCVs, AKVs, or SSR where I wouldn't mind staying again.

** Then again after going and looking at the point chart, never mind, I see no value to the place at all. Won't have a desire to stay there what so ever, lol.

Last edited:
If you can't feel confident of getting the booking even at 11 months, and you've got nothing if you don't, then what?
Thats my real question I guess; will it be booked out within a week of the 11 month window opening or will it have near constant availability like SSR or AUL?
I think this resale policy could push things either way and I wouldnt want to buy any points there until I knew how it was going to play out.

I am thinking Disney will take this new resale policy with all resorts going forward. So even if you have points that are eligible to stay at any of them at 7 months out, you may not be able to. (if you are wanting a studio anyways) So has Disney released just how many studios are at this place, not the tower ones, the normal ones. And the sizes of them? The point chart of this place is off the hook, comparable to the Grand, yet without the amenities. I just wonder if Disney is trying to see just how far they can push the envelope with the Riviera. High dollar resort with a hefty amount of points needed each night and possibly smaller square footage with the floor plans? That would be a double dose of yuck to me.

I am thinking Disney will take this new resale policy with all resorts going forward. So even if you have points that are eligible to stay at any of them at 7 months out, you may not be able to. (if you are wanting a studio anyways) So has Disney released just how many studios are at this place, not the tower ones, the normal ones. And the sizes of them? The point chart of this place is off the hook, comparable to the Grand, yet without the amenities. I just wonder if Disney is trying to see just how far they can push the envelope with the Riviera. High dollar resort with a hefty amount of points needed each night and possibly smaller square footage with the floor plans? That would be a double dose of yuck to me.
They have. See this post for floor plan sizes and how they compare to the other resorts:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/riviera-pricing-released.3741699/page-8#post-60432738

See this post for the official floor plans from DVC with the sizes listed:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...and-reservations.3730756/page-4#post-60488158

See this post for the number of units:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...n-dated-01-19-19.3734585/page-6#post-60275465

They are larger than the average DVC units at WDW, especially the newer locations.

They have. See this post for floor plan sizes and how they compare to the other resorts:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/riviera-pricing-released.3741699/page-8#post-60432738

See this post for the official floor plans from DVC with the sizes listed:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...and-reservations.3730756/page-4#post-60488158

See this post for the number of units:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...n-dated-01-19-19.3734585/page-6#post-60275465

They are larger than the average DVC units at WDW, especially the newer locations.
Well that is good. I was thinking for some reason they were going to be smaller.

Well at least the units are going to be a really good size. Good job there. Maybe that can help justify some of the higher point requirements, maybe. So we are looking at around 186 regular studios? I am trying to think if that is on the lower end of studios for DVC or right in line?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter