• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POLL - How Do You Usually Get To Your Favorite Resort

How do you (typically) get to your favorite DVC resort?

• We drive directly

• We fly and rent a car

• We fly and take transportation

• We take the Autotrain and drive directly

• We take a bus or other transportation

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mostly, we drive, but we've taken the Autotrain as well. Since dh does most of the driving, and he prefers to drive, that's what we do.

We have been flying for the past 2 years consistantly. Before that we flew and drove. Had a scare in 2005 with our car experiencing some mechanical trouble on the way down to FL and then during our entire trip. We were so nervous and stressed about it, that we vowed never to drive again unless we had a car that was fairly new (4-5 years old). Our van 1999. The car troubles ruined a good 2 days of our vacation. Husband had to run it over to an Autozone---won't get into details, but we were just thankful we made it back home.

We are flying and renting a car for this July/Aug trip. Between airfare and the car rental = $753

Autotrain price = $1,293

We have been flying for the past 2 years consistantly. Before that we flew and drove. Had a scare in 2005 with our car experiencing some mechanical trouble on the way down to FL and then during our entire trip. We were so nervous and stressed about it, that we vowed never to drive again unless we had a car that was fairly new (4-5 years old). Our van 1999. The car troubles ruined a good 2 days of our vacation. Husband had to run it over to an Autozone---won't get into details, but we were just thankful we made it back home.

We are flying and renting a car for this July/Aug trip. Between airfare and the car rental = $753

Autotrain price = $1,293

I wouldn't make the drive without AAA, that's for darn sure. What happened to you is our "worst nightmare", though we drive a pretty new car that's in good repair (knock on wood).

And those prices for the autotrain are precisely why we chose to drive. :)

I wouldn't make the drive without AAA, that's for darn sure. What happened to you is our "worst nightmare",
Agreed....always drive with AAA. But our problems were overheating/check engine light was on/AC wasn't working well at all. To my knowledge, AAA will jump a battery or change a flat or get your door open if you lock your keys inside.
But this was a more involved problem. When we got home, it cost us $1,200+ to fix. We were just literally afraid the car would die. So we would have been 1,000 miles from home, have to rent a car to drive home (for an arm and leg) and then what would we do with our car ? The thoughts of the possible scenarios were just too stressful for me ! :scared1: We actually had our transmission die on us one vacation in Williamsburg, VA. The car was under warranty, but the dealer denied it ! We had to rent a U-Haul truck and a tow bar to tow our car 6 hours back to Philly. That was a hefty bill. We did end up fighting the dealer once back home (got a lawyer) and won. Our transmission cost was over $2,000 (then add in the U-Haul rental and mileage costs). Our 4 night vacation in VA ended up being a nightmare.

We're driving direct (for at least the next few years). We looked at the autotrain. For our family of 5.....too expensive and takes too long. We would have to drive down from CT anyway to catch it...that, plus the cost of seats and accomodations (with young kids, I'm not sure we could do "seat sleeping" on the train....too much stimulation..but they'll "seat sleep" in the car). It just didn't make sense for us over the 20 hour straight shot drive.

I understand... coach is a miserable trip... We did it the first trip we ever took
nobody gets much sleep. We'll never do that again. And family of 5 would even have trouble fitting in the biggest sleeper. Once you get over 2 people the price starts becoming unreasonable. So when you drive a 20 hour staight shot do you have a timing strategy like having the kids normal bed times fall in the middle or later in the trip?

I drive unless it is cheaper to fly. still hoping for Sept. It is close now.

I can drive for $169 (at current gas prices) flying would be $204. hoping the closer to Sept the airline prices will come down - at the 3weeks time.

Agreed....always drive with AAA. But our problems were overheating/check engine light was on/AC wasn't working well at all. To my knowledge, AAA will jump a battery or change a flat or get your door open if you lock your keys inside.

....and cover the cost of a tow to an authorized mechanic within 100 miles. One of our Visa cards covers the cost of a rental car (if you become stranded on vacation and you pay for the car repairs on the Visa). I can't remember which one it is.....my wife knows and has that card "on the list" to bring. :)

Now, if it happened 1/2 way to Orlando....we'd be in trouble. But once it got there? Call, have AAA tow it to one of their mechanics, and break out the Visa to cover rental fees. We might be "stuck" in Orlando for a couple more days while the car is ready but...eh...I can think of worse places to be stranded. :)

So when you drive a 20 hour staight shot do you have a timing strategy like having the kids normal bed times fall in the middle or later in the trip?

In the middle-ish.

We'll leave about 3 PM (when my daughter gets out of school), drive for 2 or 3 hours, get dinner, get the kids in their PJ's, etc, and by 8 PM they'll be out (remember, my kids are LITTLE!). Then they'll wake up around 7 AM or so. So we get about 10 hours of the drive with the kids sleeping. :) We'll stop, eat, get them dressed, and I'll do the last 4 hours or so.

Call, have AAA tow it to one of their mechanics, and break out the Visa to cover rental fees. We might be "stuck" in Orlando for a couple more days while the car is ready but...eh...I can think of worse places to be stranded.
I agree...Orlando is not a bad place to be stuck except if you have to get back to work or school. Also, like our transmission bill on our other car---$2,000+ is a lot of expense to add to a vacation when you're not expecting it. Then again, what if you broke down somewhere in between home and Orlando ? Now there's a vacation down the tubes.....
We've just had two bad car incidents with driving to vacation. I'm a little gun-shy anymore.

But I wish everyone who drives the best of luck. When everything goes smoothly, it can be a nice way to travel. Flying and driving both have their pros and cons.

I drive unless it is cheaper to fly. still hoping for Sept. It is close now.

I can drive for $169 (at current gas prices) flying would be $204. hoping the closer to Sept the airline prices will come down - at the 3weeks time.
One big reason to move to Alabama when we retire. DH thinks it's for the golf. Shhhh! I just want a place where it's cheaper and easier (mostly easier) to drive than fly to WDW.

I agree...Orlando is not a bad place to be stuck except if you have to get back to work or school. Also, like our transmission bill on our other car---$2,000+ is a lot of expense to add to a vacation when you're not expecting it. Then again, what if you broke down somewhere in between home and Orlando ? Now there's a vacation down the tubes.....
We've just had two bad car incidents with driving to vacation. I'm a little gun-shy anymore.

But I wish everyone who drives the best of luck. When everything goes smoothly, it can be a nice way to travel. Flying and driving both have their pros and cons.

Yeah, that's one thing: I have a very flexible workplace and our schoolboard is very flexible too....so neither would blink at us being gone a couple extra days.

As for the expense...eh....my karmic thought is that it would have broken when we got home anyway. So on vacation or as soon as we get back, the bills gotta be paid. :) :rolleyes1

Again, on the way would be bad. I'd likely have to hustle some airfare up quick (one nice thing about driving 95 is that you're never TOO far from an airport), and just fly back to pick up the car. Not ideal, for sure, and certainly a stressful vacation!

We used to drive all the way from Massachusetts, but we would go for two weeks at a time so it was not a big deal to spend 21 hours each way on the road (although, the ride home always seems so much longer).:confused3

A couple of years ago I discovered air travel :thumbsup2 (I had never flown before). I wish someone would have told me about this earlier. Once in Florida, we have tried both the rental car and Disney transportation. While Disney transportation is pretty good....nothing beats having your own car (or a rental) to get around the "World". It is well worth the $200 we spend on a compact rental for a week.

In the past we flew then either limo to site or rent a car. Last year we flew & ME, I will never drive again in FL!!! lol the MK was great, got the kids all excited before we arrived.

The plane ride is about 12 hours long, but soooooo worth it!!!!

We also rent a car because of the convenience of being able to drive off-site or even within WDW to go where we want.:thumbsup2

We love a good road trip. We have driven from Iowa a few times but have since moved to Atlanta where we have to drive even less. YAY! :woohoo:

We drive and it's 756 miles from my driveway outside of Richmond Va. Just returned from SSR last week and now might have to save my pennies to Fly. Saw two bad accidents on the way down and one on the return trip......to many cars and not enough concrete......I alway have a cooler packed with the golden beverage so when I arrive I fire down some cold ones:woohoo: to take the edge off.....the DW and kids hit pool and I hit the cooler on the balcony........we are going again for Thanksgiving so I have a few months to gear up for the fun that is Interstate 95:scared1: Maybe flying is the way to go.......I'm going to get my jar and start a fly to WDW fund...now back to :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter