Poll: Would you buy Riviera direct from Disney if the resale restrictions were removed?

Would you buy Riviera direct from Disney if the latest resale Riviera restrictions were removed?

• I’d definitely buy Riviera direct then.

Votes: 39 26.5%
  • I still don’t know if I’d buy direct.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • I wouldn’t buy direct regardless.

Votes: 47 32.0%
  • I already purchased.

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters

TexasChick123

Always Dreaming of Our Next Vacation
DVC Silver
There has been a lot of talk from people who state that they wouldn’t hesitate to buy Riviera direct if not for the latest restrictions. Just to be clear, the restriction I’m referring to for the purposes of this poll is that resale Riviera buyers cannot trade into any other resorts and can only stay at Riviera. I’m wondering if this is hurting direct sales by current DVC members by a large margin, a little bit, or not at all. Thank you to @Drewferin for suggesting such a poll!

Last edited:
Lifting the restriction will certainly make me reconsider purchasing direct as I have contemplated buying some direct points to gain full membership on and off ever since I purchased my resale contract. Plus, it might signal a turnaround in DVD/DD's attitude towards resale buyers in general although it may still be too early to tell. Having said this, I am probably not DVD/DD's target audience anyway so it won't matter to them.

LAX

Even with no restrictions, I’d need to stay there or at least visit to really know how I felt about the resort.

If the incentives were still the same, we'd buy. Really looking forward to riding the gondolas to 2 parks!

ETA: All the recent actions by Disney really put a bad taste in our mouths. If they would at least remove the new resale restrictions (accompanied by a nice apology letter acknowledging how important DVC owners are to Disney), it would go a long way in repairing the damage already done, and most likely result in a significant boost in direct sales!

Last edited:

I voted that I would definitely buy in. If the restrictions were removed, I would more quickly give in to what my heart wants. But I would buy a GW as a measure of protection against Disney. So clearly the bad taste would still be in my mouth, restrictions notwithstanding.

It was a double punch for me (the restrictions and the retracted point charts), and it’s hard to say which was the one that put me on my heels. Like all of you who bought, I like what I see. I just don’t like that I was cold clocked by the guy hocking me the goods just two minutes earlier. But I’m Disney weak.

For those who bought, you’re in a unique position to potentially affect some real change. If every one of you rescinded your buy and told your guide that as much as you love the resort, the restrictions and recent point reallocations have introduced far too much uncertainty, that message would quickly work its way up the chain.

But back to reality, I have zero expectation Disney will reverse course on this one. This is more an issue of bad policy than it is of legally questionable decision making. Plus, it would take a large scale stand against the policies by a lot of principled owners. And I’m one owner who’s not even principled enough to toss that RR brochure into the recycling bin.

Last edited:
I had always planned on getting into Riviera direct until they came out with this new restriction. With no cabin/bungalow scheme going on there I figured availability was going to be better than CCV. I’ll still probably knuckle under and buy Riviera depending on what happens with the contract I have in ROFR. My plan was to have 300-350 points at 3 different resorts. I want everything to be a June UY so I’m in a weird spot. I almost hope they take the one I am waiting on because if they do I won’t be able to get another one closed before June and I’ll be off the hook on the Riviera decision for another year! If they don’t take it and I get AKV buttoned up before the end of May I don’t have any excuse not to waffle back and forth any more!

I said no either way. Initially, I was interested before the restrictions were announced, but those point charts are crazy high in my mind.

I want everything to be a June UY so I’m in a weird spot. I almost hope they take the one I am waiting on because if they do I won’t be able to get another one closed before June and I’ll be off the hook on the Riviera decision for another year! If they don’t take it and I get AKV buttoned up before the end of May I don’t have any excuse not to waffle back and forth any more!
Not sure I understand your May 31, 2019 deadline on RR.

If you buy any time between now and May 31, 2020, you’ll get your 2019 points. The closer to May 31, 2020 you can get, the fewer ADs you’ll pay. No one gets 2018 points because RR won’t exist in any 2018 UY; opens December 16.

Can someone elaborate or point me to the appropriate thread that will educate me on whatever chicanery Disney has pulled regarding point charts?

The presence or absence of restrictions would have zero impact on any potential decision to purchase Riviera.

I'm still wanting 50 to 75 additional points. Currently I'm at 205 AKV which has worked out wonderfully so far. If the resale restrictions were lifted I'd pick up the phone and buy a small 50 or 75 point contract. Id like to have a new resort with 50 years on the contract, and gondolas to 2 parks.

Its interesting that about 33% would buy and 33% would consider buying if they lifted the resale restrictions. As a business major in college it is interesting to see a company alienate 66% of their customers who'd pay direct pricing for their new resort. Disney already knows we all like their product they don't need to make people feel like red headed stepchildren. Resale buyers money is still green (Granted I'd use my BB8 Disney Visa).

Its interesting that about 33% would buy and 33% would consider buying if they lifted the resale restrictions. As a business major in college it is interesting to see a company alienate 66% of their customers who'd pay direct pricing for their new resort.
It's a calculated risk. They know most of us (and I do include myself in this group), has a high probability of caving and buying in. That's the reality.

We're a group of people who have said to Disney "No matter what happens, we will keep coming back for 24-50 years, and we'll keep paying the bills to keep the lights on." With these restrictions, Disney wants it set in stone. Reflections is v1 of the DVC prenup.

I'm just a renter but we are on the fence about buying, resale only. But here are the reasons I'm not interested in the Riviera, and they are mostly based on my tastes not any glaring oversight by Disney.

1. Not impressed with location.
2. Don't really care for mid-rises(unless I can walk right into MK)
3. Not impressed with resort style or room fit and finish.
4. Its way too expensive for what it is.
5. Gondolas have yet to prove themselves as a value add-on.

I'm still wanting 50 to 75 additional points. Currently I'm at 205 AKV which has worked out wonderfully so far. If the resale restrictions were lifted I'd pick up the phone and buy a small 50 or 75 point contract. Id like to have a new resort with 50 years on the contract, and gondolas to 2 parks.

Its interesting that about 33% would buy and 33% would consider buying if they lifted the resale restrictions. As a business major in college it is interesting to see a company alienate 66% of their customers who'd pay direct pricing for their new resort. Disney already knows we all like their product they don't need to make people feel like red headed stepchildren. Resale buyers money is still green (Granted I'd use my BB8 Disney Visa).

I think the issue is the 55.6% of people who either still wouldn't buy or would still be on the fence. I wish it was 100% would buy according to this poll if the restrictions were lifted, but that is never going to happen. There are many current members and non-members who wouldn't buy no matter what they did. I do like seeing that 38.9% are basically saying they'd pick up the phone and buy now if the restrictions were lifted. DVD, are you listening?!? Ok, I know it is only 14 people as of the time of this post, but still...

I think the only 2 things are really keeping me from buying Riviera is that resell buyers of the Riviera can only use their points at the Riviera and secondly our ages. Since we are in our mid 60s we really won't have many years of use for a new resort, we don't have children so no logical heirs to leave our property too. It would make sense for us to sell our contracts once we no longer can go to WDW. So if it was changed, I would probably persuade DH to sell our Aulani points, which we have been thinking about doing and perhaps sell our Copper Creek points since it is getting more difficult to book there. Then we would buy Riviera.

The direct price with incentives is attractive right now (comparatively), but I'm on the fence until we see how the Gondola system works out (I think it'll be really good actually). The point chart is rough though. The 2 bedroom std in magic season is a whopping 410 points, which is 50 to 100 more points than other properties for the same room. The extra points combined with the higher dues is something for me really think about.

Realistically I wouldn't probably use Riviera for the 2 bedroom week long family trips we go on. We'd keep our BLT points for that. I could see picking up 100 to 160 points for adults only trips or using them every other year. Alternating years between BLT and Riviera might be pretty cool. I know other properties dues will probably shortly be pretty close to Rivieras cost so that might become less of an issue in the next couple of years.

I do think the Riviera will be a pretty popular resort though with the gondola system. It'll be the 3rd EPCOT resort.

The direct price with incentives is attractive right now (comparatively), but I'm on the fence until we see how the Gondola system works out (I think it'll be really good actually). The point chart is rough though. The 2 bedroom std in magic season is a whopping 410 points, which is 50 to 100 more points than other properties for the same room. The extra points combined with the higher dues is something for me really think about.

Yeah, if your a first time buyer thats over $65K to buy in for a 2 bedroom, I'm not sure how many people have that kinda cash laying around or could afford the monthly payment if financed. Thats almost half the price of a vacation home in some parts of the USA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!