Poll: Would you buy Riviera direct from Disney if the resale restrictions were removed?

Would you buy Riviera direct from Disney if the latest resale Riviera restrictions were removed?

• I’d definitely buy Riviera direct then.

Votes: 39 26.5%
  • I still don’t know if I’d buy direct.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • I wouldn’t buy direct regardless.

Votes: 47 32.0%
  • I already purchased.

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters
This one is pretty close:
https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/melbourne/mlbqq/hoteldetail

holiday-inn-melbourne-5535447388-4x3

disney-vacation-club-riviera-resort2.jpg

Just having fun with the comparison. That Holiday Inn was actually really nice, but I understand that Riviera is still a "deluxe" DVC resort, that should be very nice, even if it is lacking some of the character of some other resorts.
The porte-cochere (most hotels, especially higher-end, have these) makes them seem similar because of the framing of the photos, but the Holiday Inn lacks any architectural design and details and of course amenities. Though I personally don't think it lacks theme, though I must say it seems more Parisian to me than French or Italian Riviera (though I have seen buildings in the French Riviera that are similar).

Is 100 the smallest number of points Disney would sell me direct? If I called them up and begged, would they really not sell me something smaller?

The porte-cochere (most hotels, especially higher-end, have these) makes them seem similar because of the framing of the photos, but the Holiday Inn lacks any architectural design and details and of course amenities. Though I personally don't think it lacks theme, though I must say it seems more Parisian to me than French or Italian Riviera (though I have seen buildings in the French Riviera that are similar).

Well obviously they are different. But good luck finding a Holiday Inn that looks at all similar to the Polynesian. I was just asked to find something, and did the best I could at doing it.

Current DVC can buy down to 50 based on this disney riviera chart for incentives.

Attachments

• RVA_Financing.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 18

What if you aren't a current member?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't seen that listed anywhere maybe because it isn't on sale to the non-members yet. Then again, maybe I just haven't seen it which is also possible.

Last edited:

It used to be 75 if you're a first time retail purchaser. Not sure if that's changed. Points in general that is. Riviera is open to public sales yet (public opens April 15th).
This is fairly accurate for the old resorts. All for new members is 100 point minimum aside for OKW (50), VB (75), SSR (50), and HHI (75). And of course 75 for perks. Knowing that CCV is 100 for new members, I would expect DRR to be similar though it hasn't been announced as far as I know.

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

I am a definite no right now. If they lifted the restrictions and came out with a statement that the the 2020 point charts were a mistake and defined what they would and would not do regarding reallocations, I would consider it.

While we still get some enjoyment at WDW, we really don't visit the parks much anymore. We are outside of the guest demographic being older, having adult children, not enjoying crowds, and we have been there done that. We started getting a bad DVC taste a few years ago, thanks to Schultz and her new boss, the bad taste has turned into the smell of a dead skunk.

We had 26 contracts at one time, our buying days are over. We will look at things and decide if selling makes financial sense. Life is too short to accept the disrespect that Disney is showing their guests and owners.

:earsboy: Bill

DVC 2 would have infuriated current owners, myself included, if they couldn’t trade into it. Like chartacolypse-level anger if not more.

It would not have infuriated me and IMO it should have been done. Even legally I find it questionable that they didn't do that. There's little doubt it still would have traded.

For those who bought, you’re in a unique position to potentially affect some real change. If every one of you rescinded your buy and told your guide that as much as you love the resort, the restrictions and recent point reallocations have introduced far too much uncertainty, that message would quickly work its way up the chain.

I would love to see this happen.

I would love to see this happen.

I personally am happy that they are still buying. If Riviera still sells well, despite the restrictions, it may convince management that they don't need to restrict anything elsewhere in order to drive more sales.
Just hoping for the best...

It would not have infuriated me and IMO it should have been done. Even legally I find it questionable that they didn't do that. There's little doubt it still would have traded.
Though a DVC2, with it's own resale restrictions, that traded with DVC1, but limited the cross trading to direct buyers and those grandfathered at DVC1, would be functionally identical to what we have now, and resale impacts, if any, would be the same as well. I would think most people are outraged the trading restrictions exist no matter the legal structure used to implement them.

I guess the question is are people upset because of the chosen legal structure or upset the resale restrictions on exchanging? I always assumed it was the latter.

Last edited:
Though a DVC2, with it's own resale restrictions, that traded with DVC1, but limited the cross trading to direct buyers and those grandfathered at DVC1, would be functionally identical to what we have now, and resale impacts, if any, would be the same as well. I would think most people are outraged the trading restrictions exist no matter the legal structure used to implement them.

I guess the question is are people upset because of the chosen legal structure or upset the resale restrictions on exchanging? I always assumed it was the latter.

I'm upset that they seem to be trying to change the rules as they are written, rules that they aren't "legally" allowed to change.

My assumption was that they would of had to start up a new DVC2 structure with a new trading agreement between DVC1 and DVC2. While the outcome would have been the same, I think the are breaking the contracts that are in place and just counting on not being challenged.

I'm upset that they seem to be trying to change the rules as they are written, rules that they aren't "legally" allowed to change.

My assumption was that they would of had to start up a new DVC2 structure with a new trading agreement between DVC1 and DVC2. While the outcome would have been the same, I think the are breaking the contracts that are in place and just counting on not being challenged.
Understood, I wonder how many view it that way and are really upset only because of the legal structure chosen. Not the actual restrictions itself.

I viewed most people’s concerns which are simply the resale restrictions existing in any form and the legal arguments are being used to prop up the end goal of overturning the restrictions.

Understood, I wonder how many view it that way and are really upset only because of the legal structure chosen. Not the actual restrictions itself.

I viewed most people’s concerns which are simply the resale restrictions existing in any form and the legal arguments are being used to prop up the end goal of overturning the restrictions.
I view it the same way. It’s not that they restricted resale trades, it’s that the trading is now unequal. If they had, for example said no exchanges period between DVC I & II? Meh. I wouldn’t be bothered.

My thinking on this has shifted a little, to the core question of what drives resale prices? I believe it is supply & demand, but also ROFR. Two major points:

1. Theoretically, the resale restriction seeks to dampen the demand for resale at Riviera. However, if you're interested in buying DVC and want to stay at Riviera, your options are: (A) Buy direct Riviera, (B) Buy resale Riviera, or (C) Buy a different resort direct and trade in at 7 months. (A) will cost a whole lot more than (B), and (C) is a big risk for many room types and times of the year. Won't that drive savvy buyers to the resale market?

As many have noted, many of us buy home resort points for the sole purpose of staying there. That fact will only be compounded when Riviera resale owners only have one choice, which furthers the necessity of owning Riviera... it'll be a vicious cycle. If you want to stay at Riviera, you better buy there.

Bottom line, assuming Riviera is an in-demand resort that we think it will be, I don't think resale demand will be destroyed. Impacted? Maybe, but not by much.

2. Aside from that, if prices drop too low, you have to believe they will ROFR them, especially with their new UY rules. That has to drive prices up, right? I really see it ending up close to the % spread you see at the other "buy where you want to stay" resorts... maybe a hair lower, but close.

I'm not saying the resale restriction is irrelevant; it does matter. But I question how strong it will actually be five years down the road.

As for the "I don't like how they're making all these changes all at once" argument, I'm with you 100%. Rubs me the wrong way, too. I just don't think this resale restriction is going to sting much. At least not at Riviera.

While Riviera is being sold direct DVD will not ROFR the resort if they follow their past history. They dont ROFR Aulani or CCV now so i expect Riviera will also not be bought back unless resale prices are extremely low (Like $50 a Point).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!