POLL: Would you donate DVC points to Katrina victims?

Would you donate DVC Points to Katrina victims if there was a way to do so?

• No.

• Yes, I would donate 1-9 points in the next 12 months

• Yes, I would donate 10-24 points in the next 12 months

• Yes, I would donate 25-49 points in the next 12 months

• Yes, I would donate 50-99 points in the next 12 months

• Yes, I would donate 100 or more points in the next 12 months

Results are only viewable after voting.

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
This has come up before -- but would you donate DVC points to Hurricane Katrina evacuees if there were a mechanism to do so?

You should understand that donations of points would probably NOT be tax deductible.

If you would like to donate if something could be set up, please indicate how many points you might be willing to donate over the next 12 months.

Thanks.

Jim

I'm really just bumping this, but I would also appreciate any input on how some mechanism could be set up to receive and administer any donated points.

Thanks for voting.

No, I really don't think I would ever do this, for any reason. There are just too many unknowns, and I don't think Disney World is the best location for someone in the situation of most Katrina victims. I would and have donated generously to the relief effort, just not in this way.

I have not even thought about donating DVC points for this cause... I have donated to the Red Cross and I also plan on helping out some the the displaced people that have been transported to Chicago.

I feel both of those options are better than points.

Although I could see joing together with a few other DVC DISers to put together a reservation, ebay it or use the rent trade board to sell it and then donate the money to the Red Cross or some other worthy Katrina cause....

I wouldn't.

I'm thinking the last thing these folks are even dreaming about is a vacation at WDW. Deciding where to live, finding new jobs, clothing the kids, etc. are probably top priorities right now.

Nice of you to think of it though -- shows your heart is in the right place.

Kristen

I have donated to the Red Cross and plan to continue donating for a long while. I just think that this is the best way to help at this time.

I've given money and I'd give supplies. But giving a few days at a vacation residence strikes me as inappropriate when there are so many serious needs.

I voted no, only because I have not points to give. However, I believe that if you are going from fried's house to friend's house or if you are starting to clash having more thatn one family in a household, this would be a very nice option. You coul dbe the head of your family again and have a few days away from the real world.

Why would people who have been through such devastation want to take a vacation right now? I'm sure they're more interested in rebuilding their lives.

I've already donated to two areas and feel that my efforts are better spent in those areas -- Red Cross and PETA.

I don't think the point was to donate points for them to stay. I think the point was to sell a reservation to make donations. I would rather send the money directly instead.

Just to clear this up, I never meant to suggest donating points in lieu of donating money. I worked for more than a year in the Hurricane Andrew recovery, and I can tell you there is no substitute for cash donations. We've already made donations to the Salvation Army and Red Cross, and plan to make additional donations for the next two years or so.

Having worked in a big recovery, I would strongly urge people NOT to donate supplies, toys, pet food, etc -- UNLESS you are responding to a specific request from a specific agency, AND that request has the blessing of FEMA. Well-meaning donations like those suck up manpower the recovery effort does not have. In Andrew, we turned hundreds of those trucks around and sent them back. Unless FEMA asks for something, don't even think about sending it.

And finally, what prompted me to bring this idea up is that we've had reports that Disney is going to be housing numbers of evacuees in WDW resorts. Someone on the Katrina board was talking to CRO yesterday and they said they were making a lot of arrangements now. I figured if we did something like this, it would augment Disney's effort.

I wasn't talking about taking a break -- I was talking about having a place to live!

I think the worst thing Disney could do is to open up rooms for evacuees for free. People are people and the best and the worst come out when a disaster happens. You would have people who may have been sent to Denver asking if they could be sent down to FL so they could stay at WDW. Where do you draw the line? Even if they say, they will take 50 families (or some number), I would expect family #51 to show up and ask why they couldn't stay there too, after all they have six kids who have never been to WDW. And so on and so on.

I believe I saw that Disney gave $2 million. Hopefully they will leave it at that. I believe cash donations work the best. And when making those donations, don't forget the animals.

Cyn

The hurricane victums don't need vacations. They require basic living needs -- shelter, food, clothing, medical care and jobs to help them get back on their feet. They need a means to get the children back in schools. Longer term they need help rebuilding. Supporting the American Red Cross and similar organizations designed for disaster relief/recovery is likely to be the best way to support them for many. Donating blood, time and skills also can assist the relief efforts.

Six people have already died from water borne infections. These people don't need reosrt homes they need "assisted living" and temporary at that. Unfortunately, yes, the fraud would also be rampant as it was after 9/11.
I donated to the Red Cross and ASPCA. Also please give blood!
I just heard that FEMA has Pat Robinson's organization on their site! What a crock! :rotfl:

While some of us are planning trips, Disney is giving 2.5 mil to the relief effort.
As a shareholder, I feel that I'm giving a little bit of that too. Makes me feel good.

I know that JIMMIA was hoping to find a way to donate DVC points to relief, but it is nice to know that Disney is willing to contribute from the big pie.

The Walt Disney Company Commits $2.5 Million for Hurricane Katrina Relief and Rebuilding Efforts:
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 31, 2005--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) announced today that it will make a corporate contribution of $2.5 million to the relief and rebuilding efforts for victims of Hurricane Katrina. One million dollars will be donated to the American Red Cross for immediate relief efforts, one million dollars will be designated for rebuilding efforts targeted at children's charities, and the remaining $500,000 will be directed towards volunteer centers providing services to the communities affected by the hurricane.
"The devastation in the wake of Hurricane Katrina is simply heartbreaking and our thoughts are with those struggling in the aftermath of this disaster," said Michael Eisner, CEO, and Bob Iger, president, COO and CEO-elect of The Walt Disney Company. "We hope that our donation will aid emergency management teams and organizations in their efforts to provide assistance to those impacted."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter