Poll: Your Riviera Resale price

At what price would you buy Riviera on the resale market (Be limited to staying only at Riviera)?

• $160

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • $150

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • $140

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • $130

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • $120

Votes: 40 10.2%
  • $110

Votes: 28 7.1%
  • $100

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Under $90

Votes: 210 53.4%

• Total voters
It may be a function of want and need to sell. We'll have to see how long the $170/pt sits around. I agree it is a pricing that is more consistent with what other early resales priced at for different resorts but they also tended to sit around unsold for awhile.
Just look at all the Poly listings on Fidelity's website, and a few of the other resale websites, probably going to sit for a long time.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it more, maybe it is a typo/website issue. I called Fidelity about 2 VGF contracts a few weeks back that had weird prices listed per point that did not add up to the correct final price. The person I spoke with said they were having "website issues" and that it was going to eventually be corrected.

ETA: Not a mistake or typo. Spoke with Shawn at Fidelity and the $170 is the correct asking price. 🤣
I wonder if the owner financed it. Most likely they just want enough to pay off loan. Unfortunately with the resale restrictions and high maintenance fees it’s not likely to happen.

I understand this contract more than the one sold for $100.
I actually predicted the first contract on sale would be listed for $170:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...contracts-listing-price.3744608/post-60493491
Someone who didn't realise what he was buying and wants to get out immediately would also not know what he's selling and would try to recoup as much as possible. Buying at $188 and selling at $100 within a day without any previous market history is really strange.

Maybe with VGF and POLY it wasn't unreasonable to try and get a resale close to the direct price, but now with the new restrictions it is completely unrealistic to expect anywhere close to direct prices. Then combine this with a resale contracts selling for $100, then this contract isn't coming close to $170. Resale buyers are nothing if not frugal and looking for a deal. This seller is going to get lots of lowball offers.

I just offered $100/point for the Fidelity contract. Not expecting them to go for it, but will be interesting to see if they counter.
I was thinking about doing the same thing. We should all offer at $100 or less.

Also member fees are too high on riviera. And if you buy resale here, you may not be able to resell it yourself if need be.

I have a bad feeling that Riviera dues will be middle of the road after the 2020 increases are announced. Id bet we see another year of 7 to 12% increases across all legacy 14 resorts.

I have a bad feeling that Riviera dues will be middle of the road after the 2020 increases are announced. Id bet we see another year of 7 to 12% increases across all legacy 14 resorts.
Problem for DVC is that if the MF's get to high and the price per year to go to WDW is the same as a hotel stay, then what is the point of owning DVC. Besides the people who need 1 & 2 bedrooms (myself included), no one who just wants studios would have any incentive to own.

Problem for DVC is that if the MF's get to high and the price per year to go to WDW is the same as a hotel stay, then what is the point of owning DVC. Besides the people who need 1 & 2 bedrooms (myself included), no one who just wants studios would have any incentive to own.
I agree it is a fine line. I think for the most expensive direct prices, it is already questionable as to whether it is worth it. You can get deluxe resorts at discounted rates at different times of the year .

In theory MFs (which are based on projected expenses) should track the yearly increases on the cash hotel side. Of course, this changes if WDW is willing to take less profit from their cash hotels (which could be the case in an economic downturn, for example).

And while RVA might continue to be on the higher end of MFs (due to the transportation costs from the Skyliner), I fully expect all the other resorts to be catching up over the next two years. Same thing happened with CCV.

DVC has gotten into trouble before by lowballing the maintenance fees estimates at new resorts. I think all new resorts will probably start out a little high and then adjust downward as needed.

Off-topic but I disagree - salaries went up 30% (from $10 to $13) in that increase and it lead to a 7-11% increase at most resorts. Next year they go from $13 to $14 - a 7% increase. Now, that might mean we see increases 1-2% higher than average, but i expect nothing like we saw last year, so maybe 4-6% range.

Off-topic but I disagree - salaries went up 30% (from $10 to $13) in that increase and it lead to a 7-11% increase at most resorts. Next year they go from $13 to $14 - a 7% increase. Now, that might mean we see increases 1-2% higher than average, but i expect nothing like we saw last year, so maybe 4-6% range.

I sure hope are right... Disney does need to watch the due increases. I guess its also possible Riviera dues could be cut...

I think there’s no use in speculating on something like MF’s. They always go up, but they vary greatly in how much they go up. We don’t know the reasons behind the increases until well after they're announced usually. We cannot possibly predict every item that will factor into MF’s and by what amount. The only thing I know for sure is that they’ve been increasing at a troubling pace. We’ll all find out together in December.
I guess its also possible Riviera dues could be cut...

This has been the norm with the last few properties. Poly and CCV came out really high right out of the gate and then decreased the actual dues versus projected dues. I think this is likely, but I’m not counting on it necessarily.

I predict the voters are all full of it, in the end. People will stay there once, love it, have pixie dust in their hair and falling into their eyes, see prices rising and speculate that they can only rise further, and buy the points resale for much higher than "<$90"

I predict the voters are all full of it, in the end. People will stay there once, love it, have pixie dust in their hair and falling into their eyes, see prices rising and speculate that they can only rise further, and buy the points resale for much higher than "<$90"

Well, the other point of all this is just because 50% of the people wouldn't pay more than $90 for it doesn't mean that's what it'll go for. What matters is what the # of people that want resale at Riviera versus the number of available contract. Everyone forgets that DVC should have a simple equation "Supply vs Demand". DVC controls the market to a small degree with ROFR - but that's really maintaining the bottom end, high end is supply vs demand.

Example: If you looked at this poll as "Every person on the planet that wants to buy Riviera resale in 2020", if there were only 14 Riviera contracts that came up in 2020- then Riviera would sell for $150 a point. If there were 200 Riviera contracts that came up in 2020 - then the price would start at $150 a point and would drop by March to $90 a point.

That's why even though I think these contracts SHOULD be worth less (not worthless), I do believe we could see them going for $130-140 early on. I mean we're way too early here, but so far the total contracts on the market is THREE. The question will be in 4-5 years when you have 500-1000 contracts coming on the market every year - will there be that many people willing to pay $140 a point to be locked in Riviera versus $100 a point at OKW to have the opportunity to stay at 14 other resorts. If there are not - then the price will fall.

Well there are two types of people, those who want to stay at their home resort the vast majority of the time, and to them, Riviera resale may be fine. Then there are people who like to move around some, and for them DRR resale is not an option. I personally really enjoy my home resorts, but I like quite a few of my non home ones. (I have stayed at all on property except 1).

But you are right people will fall in love with it. When you buy Direct, you are often not buying at your favorite resort, you are buying what Disney is selling. How can a resort that hasnt even opened yet be someones favorite? But it will become that for many. Same thing when Boardwalk opened. People bought it because that is what DIS was selling, but the resort was entirely new. People grew to love it because it was a good offering.

IMO, No Disney resort blows away all the others enough to restrict myself to it. (I dont own at Poly, but its my favorite. If i was unable to switch in at times, I would sell one of my other contracts and buy there)

On a side note, people did a double take on the Poly's MFs and now they are pretty much in line with everything else. better than what they did with BLT

Last edited:

I can say with 100% certainty that I would not buy it ...period...at any price. And the voters weren't voting on "what will it resell for?". They were voting on " At what price would you buy Riviera on the resale market (Be limited to staying only at Riviera)?"

Will people pay more than $90 on resale...Absolutely, because Disney will continue to raise prices and people will still make the decision of whether or not it works for them. Will people stay there? Absolutely, because it's new and people are enthralled with the skyliners and down the road, Riveria may be more agreeable to some than SSR or OKW. (And I love both)

Personally, as a long-time DVC member...I will not buy there and wouldn't even if the prices were bargain basement low. While the rooms are pretty, the resort seems utterly confused. The tower is in front of Caribbean Beach which doesn't make sense. It's almost like they plunked it in some random spot that had enough space. The transportation is terrible and I kind of expected more from DVC as far as theming and a resort being relevant. Riviera just isn't relevant.

If people love it and are happy with their purchase...Great!

I'm just sharing an honest answer from one of the 51.2% who voted Under $90"

Last edited:
Well there are two types of people, those who want to stay at their home resort the vast majority of the time, and to them, Riviera resale may be fine.
Not really.
While SSR is not everyone first choice, the fact it's often available last(-ish) minute helps every member.
Life happens: while most people plan to always use their VGF or BCV points at their home resort, they might be forced to cancel and have points on holding. Or they might want to add a night last minute to accommodate an early cheaper flight. Or they might want to check a new resort.
Being able to use points at other resorts helps everyone, even people who don't plan to do it, ever. Owning DRR resale comes with an higher risk which should be accounted in the purchase price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter