Poly is 100% Declared

The 2% they retain isn't mainly for rental, it's mainly for maintenance and other issues. Weeks timeshares normally sell 51 weeks for the same reason. Rentals will come from points members trade in, points not yet sold, ROFR acquired points and anything they keep above 2%. That's not to say that a tiny amount of 2% won't find it's way to rental but it's not the main purpose of the retained points by any means.

True, but I doubt that there are that many rooms out of service on a regular basis except when remodeling is going on.

True, but I doubt that there are that many rooms out of service on a regular basis except when remodeling is going on.
Actually it should average around 1-1.5% minimum and if you carry it through a full refurbishment cycle, it should be in the 1.5% to 2% range. Remember it's more than just refurbishments but also rooms for maint issues ongoing. There will be little rental from a retained 2%, more if they keep a larger %.

IMO [a reallocation is] inevitable but it'll likely be 5-7 yrs and 10 yrs wouldn't surprise me. They need to sell out and get 3-4 yrs worth of demand data. Then it'll take a year to finalize the chart changes and another year to post them in advance.
Recent DVC history shows that it doesn't take that long for a reallocation to occur.

Aulani opened about a third of its rooms on August 29, 2011, and the entire resort wasn't opened until November 2012. By December 2014 -- just over two years after the entire resort opened -- Disney published a reallocated point chart with significant changes both in terms of point charges and seasonal adjustments. And remember, Aulani is no where near being sold out.

Disney made an even faster reallocation at Saratoga Springs. The Treehouses at SSR came online in the Fall 2009. By the Fall 2011, Disney reallocated SSR's point chart, effective in 2013, increasing the cost of the Treehouses.

Recent DVC history shows that it doesn't take that long for a reallocation to occur.

Aulani opened about a third of its rooms on August 29, 2011, and the entire resort wasn't opened until November 2012. By December 2014 -- just over two years after the entire resort opened -- Disney published a reallocated point chart with significant changes both in terms of point charges and seasonal adjustments. And remember, Aulani is no where near being sold out.

Disney made an even faster reallocation at Saratoga Springs. The Treehouses at SSR came online in the Fall 2009. By the Fall 2011, Disney reallocated SSR's point chart, effective in 2013, increasing the cost of the Treehouses.
Certainly they could do it earlier, it certainly wouldn't surprise me much. Are you predicting it Tim? BLT happened during active sales before it opened. But realistically I doubt they'll do a Poly reallocation any sooner than I quoted unless they do a full reallocation across the board then they likely would move it up to do it at the same time. When/if it happens, it should make for some interesting discussions.

I'm not in the prediction game when it comes to reallocations. I suspect I'd have a very poor track record if I did.

I guess one of the reasons I smell it in the wind is a combo of the recent changes in Poly standard resort views, and the rationale behind the SSR reallocation.

They just added Pool/Water as a category for standard rooms at Poly, because everyone was asking for Samoa and/or Fiji, so they decided to charge for it AND head off desk tantrums when people would get Aotearoa.

They added Preferred at SSR, because everyone was requesting Springs and Congress Park.

At Poly DVC, everyone asks for Tokelau. There are definite desk tantrums when it is not assigned, especially the ~6 rooms with side-on castle views. I witnessed a few while dealing with Magic Band shenanigans. Either I was there a bad week, or this is commonplace. I have a feeling Poly is more prone to this than SSR, too.

I do think the orginal/existing categorization at Poly was simplistic and lazy. The range of views for the SV is pretty wide, given the 6 rooms with side-on castle views, and the Pago Pago views that are actually parking lot views.

I guess one of the reasons I smell it in the wind is a combo of the recent changes in Poly standard resort views, and the rationale behind the SSR reallocation.

They just added Pool/Water as a category for standard rooms at Poly, because everyone was asking for Samoa and/or Fiji, so they decided to charge for it AND head off desk tantrums when people would get Aotearoa.

They added Preferred at SSR, because everyone was requesting Springs and Congress Park.

At Poly DVC, everyone asks for Tokelau. There are definite desk tantrums when it is not assigned, especially the ~6 rooms with side-on castle views. I witnessed a few while dealing with Magic Band shenanigans. Either I was there a bad week, or this is commonplace. I have a feeling Poly is more prone to this than SSR, too.

I do think the orginal/existing categorization at Poly was simplistic and lazy. The range of views for the SV is pretty wide, given the 6 rooms with side-on castle views, and the Pago Pago views that are actually parking lot views.
IMO there are 2 issues, the view discrepancy and the Bungalow costs. If they do a reallocation, they might and likely would, fix both at one time. If they just create a booking category like at OKW, then they don't have to reallocate.

I do think the original/existing categorization at Poly was simplistic and lazy. The range of views for the SV is pretty wide, given the 6 rooms with side-on castle views, and the Pago Pago views that are actually parking lot views.

We did request Tokelau and didn't get it. The desk agent quickly said, "but you have a lovely garden view in pago pago" before I could even say thank you. I didn't see any tantrums, but clearly they exist because she tried to talk up pago pago quickly. Our view was fine. I agree about the views, you really have parking lot, pool, garden view, and lake (7 seas lagoon). I prefer pool views, because at night, it's lit up and something to look at on the balcony. I realize others don't like this because of the noise. But, to agree with you, that's a lot of variation for standard view. Perhaps a preferred view would be pool or garden, and the parking lot views could be labeled standard or something.

As everyone said, the areas most requested at SSR are now preferred so it could happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter