Poly review & trip report

Mississippian

DIS Veteran
. My 3-year-old son, Ash, and I recently took a father-son trip to DisneyWorld. I've enjoyed reading the reviews on this site, so thought I would share my comments on the Polynesian, as well as the parks. This was my first stay at the Poly, although I've stayed at other resorts.
. We visited the parks from Feb. 3-6 and stayed for three nights at the Poly, in the Tokelau building. I liked this location, but as a practical matter would try to stay even closer to the Great Ceremonial House. I thought it would be good to be within walking distance of the TTC, but never walked to or from it. I tried to once, but could not find the path to the Poly, and so just took the Monorail. I know there is some type of sign when exiting the Monorail on how to get to the Poly, but on arriving by bus to the TTC I simply couldn't find it.
. Our rate for the three nights was $596 for the three nights, with an annual passholder discount. We bought the passes prior to arrival to get the lower rate.
. Believe it or not, my original plan was for us to stay at the All-Stars for the first time, but no discounted rooms were available. I decided to try the Poly based on comments on this site. I really liked the Poly — it's certainly head and shoulders over the Contemporary garden rooms, especially for families with children. I've also stayed at the Board Walk, and I must say the Poly is just better for children, although the Boardwalk is better for adults, IMHO. Port Orleans is nice, but clearly not on a level with the Deluxe resorts.
. We arrived at 7:30 p.m. and used the Tiffany Town Car service. Great check-in with no line. Ash and I went down to the beach at 8:45 to watch the water pageant. Some might call this show tired and cheap, but it was just a perfect parent moment. Ash sat on my lap as I sat on the bank, and excitedly pointed out each animal as it lit up. We had the show pretty much to ourselves — I would guess there were fewer than 40 people watching from the whole resort. But it was nice.
. We got a late start our first day (of two) and took the bus from in front of the Poly to the Animal Kingdom. I hated the layout and feel of this place. We got our Fastpasses to the Safari, and then looked around for something to do while still staying in the area. There is nothing to do but shop. So we walked around, then rode the EXCELLENT safari. I agree with many that the poacher bit interferes with the viewing of the animals.
. After the safari we decided to eat. There is only one full-service restaurant in the Animal Kingdom, and that is the Rainforest Cafe. Ash declared that he didn't want to eat there, so we took a bus to Epcot and ate at Chefs de France. This was a treat for me. Then we rode Spaceship Earth and left the park for the Magic Kingdom. Fantasyland was PACKED, but we did get to ride a few rides, especially at park closing time, and I enjoyed the fireworks, although they scared Ash.
. The next morning we were still a bit late getting out, but Fantasyland wasn't as full. We rode everything (using Fastpass for Pooh), and then went to Tommorrowland and rode the People Mover and the Buzz Lightyear, which was a really neat ride. There were few lines outside Fantasyland. We also attended the Country Bear Jamboree, which my son hated (I was surprised).
. For lunch we went to the Crystal Palace for the Pooh lunch. This was a great picture opportunity, and the buffet food was quite good.
. After lunch we went to MGM and saw the Muppet movie, which Ash enjoyed. We then went and had a picture made with Mickey Mouse, with virtually no wait. Our last item was the Playhouse Disney show, very popular as many were turned away. Go at least 45 minutes early to get into this.
. We ate at both of the Poly restaurants. O'Hanas has a great atmosphere, great service, and really bad food. The appetizer tray is good, but the meats were cooked to the point that they were not edible. The grilled shrimp was good, although overcooked. I doubt I will go back here, although those who like their meat super-done won't have any problem at all. There are activities that would appeal to children aged 5-11, which would make this place more appealing for some.
. The Kona Cafe was just the opposite. Lousy atmosphere, but really great food. The food is what I call "fancy" food, of the type often served in dress-up restaurants. I really enjoyed this place, and will be back, although they could do to slow it down a notch and make the service a bit more refined.
. Overall I really liked the Poly. It has a resort feel to it that most of the other Disney places where I've stayed simply don't have. There is certainly something to the strategy used by many of staying at a value resort for a few days while going about the frantic park race, and then staying at the Poly for two or three days while maintaining a more relaxed schedule.
. BTW, our room was nice and clean, and I did not notice any "odors" in the hotel. The maid service was fair to good, although we didn't get any towel animals.
. Of course, I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Thanks for your trip report, nice to have special time together with children.

We have stayed at the poly many years ago, but both times were in the buildings that are on either side of the gch, for easy access. We may go back soon, and I was considering the tokelau building, you found the walk too long, is that the reason you would not pick this building again. Were there nice gardens outside your patio or balcony in that building.

Oh something else that I used to love aabout the lobby was the beautiful red macaws sitting on a perch near the plants. Thanks,

Deb.

Deb,
The walk wasn't terrible, and in fact Tokelau is right by the quiet pool, and an easy walk to the big pool. But there are a couple of buildings that are closer to the GCH, and I might like to try them.
BUT, Tokelau has a very good location with easy access to the beach. It's just that my idea of being between the GCH and the TTC wasn't as good as I thought it was, as we used the GCH transportation exclusively, and also ate there. So I might try for a closer building in the future.

Mississippian

Glad you enjoyed your trip! We have been at the Poly twice, and are fitting it in for two nights of our July trip (one is my BDAy).
We have not done Ohana, but have always had wonderful food at Kona.
Robin M.
Poly 6/2000
BWV 6/2001
Poly 12/2001
BWV/Poly/VWL 7/2002

Dear Mississipian:
Ressie for dinner at Ohana but booked offsite.
1. Would it be better to bring car and park at Poly. Or take hotel shuttle and ride monorail? DD will be dropped off at Neverland Club first before our dinner.
(Wondering too if I could request that food be cooked medium instead of well done.)
It's our first time and would appreciate all inputs.
T hank you.

Matchmaker,
I can't help with any advice about driving. My best guess is that would be most convenient.

It didn't seem possible to order meat less done as it was cooked on skewers. We ate fairly late in the evening, and perhaps it wouldn't be so done if we had eaten a bit earlier.

If you are going for a dinner with just your husband, I really don't think Ohana is your best choice. I strongly would urge you to consider one of the Grand Floridian restaurants or the California Grill at the Contemporary. These are all on the Monorail, so you shouldn't be too far from your daughter. Just my opinion.

Mississippian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter