Poncho or Rain Coat?

rocky41102

Mouseketeer
Any benefits to either a poncho or a rain coat over the other? We're arriving at Universal on Sunday and I was planning on buying ponchos before we leave since they're cheapest. Of course, like everything else for our trip, I started second guessing myself and wondering if I should try to buy some waterproof jackets instead....! Any good and reasonably priced jacket recommendations?

I like rain coats. We just finished a rainy Universal vaca this week. The benefit of a poncho is that it easily covers your bag. But I hate the bulk and find them so hot. I like a light rain jacket and ziplock my stuff inside my little backpack. We used small umbrellas when it poured too.

One good thing about the lockers was being able to stash wet stuff before getting in line.

The CMs were complaining about ponchos on rides all day too.

I do ponchos when it rains heavy

I hate having a wet butt so I need something that covers me to the thighs

I wear teva sandals so don’t t have to deal with wet socks and shoes that are wet until the next day

Poncho with a hat with a brim (ala baseball hat) underneath to keep rain out of your eyes

If cheap $ store ones, plan on tossing after one usage otherwise pick up decent, heavier ones work better (trade off=prepare to swelter in the heat lol)

Seems every year i hope for the best and wind up buying a poncho in the park

Ponchos. We were in universal during a tropical storm. Definitely ponchos and sandals!

Defo go with rain coats. I’ve got a light weight one that easily fits in my waterproof backpack and it dries faster too.

Ponchos. But disposable ones! They cover your bag, and are long enough to cover your shorts from blowing rain. And then they can go in the trash when it stops and you don't have to carry a wet coat around. We buy a 10 pack on Amazon for about $10.

I dont know how true this is or not. I read on another universal message board (facebook) that the rides and some of the shops make you take your poncho off.. does anyone know if this is true?

I dont know how true this is or not. I read on another universal message board (facebook) that the rides and some of the shops make you take your poncho off.. does anyone know if this is true?

Yes. This week they asked guests on some rides to take them off. I want to say on Spidermdn or Transformers if I remember correctly, but can’t swear since they weren’t talking to us. On MIB they were telling guests to tuck them behind their back.

Just a note on disposable ponchos...if you are using them once and throwing away, that’s a lot of plastic waste for the environment.

Two years ago a shop in Seuss land asked me to take my poncho off as I was dripping water on the merch

It was my fault and did not realize it

But very happy to comply

TM was very apologetic and nice when she asked me that

If there was signage about no open umbrellas or ponchos, I missed it
Had came into the store as it was pouring rain outside

Yes. This week they asked guests on some rides to take them off. I want to say on Spidermdn or Transformers if I remember correctly, but can’t swear since they weren’t talking to us. On MIB they were telling guests to tuck them behind their back.

Just a note on disposable ponchos...if you are using them once and throwing away, that’s a lot of plastic waste for the environment.
Disney makes a huge effort to sort and recycle, so I am sure if it can be recycled, it is. That said these are super thin, like a trash bag. I’m not worried about throwing away 2, maybe 4 trash bags from being caught in a storm on vacation. People throw away FAR worse. We are very lean at home with what goes truly in the trash.
That’s just a weird thing to say anyways, how many people buy those Mickey ponchos and then throw them out when they inevitably rip? :sad2:

So just for giggles I looked into this.
1 - the ponchos we bought are made from recycled plastic
2- the type of plastic they are made from is 100% recyclable

So as I said, disposable ponchos are the way to go. And I’m sticking to that.

Thanks I just went out and bought a rain coat for this trip.

I like to use umbrellas- don't really like ponchos(make me very hot!). But if it's really heavy rain, I use both! I found a rain jacket on Amazon that was inexpensive but has sleeves and snaps to close. So, I like that better than a poncho. I think they were like $10. Pretty much the same weight as a poncho but with qualities of a regular jacket.

That’s just a weird thing to say anyways, how many people buy those Mickey ponchos and then throw them out when they inevitably rip? :sad2:

What’s weird about considering purchasing items that can be reused vs a one time use? It may not always be feasible, but it’s worth thinking about. Even if it can be recycled, it might not be the best choice (or the most economical in the long run). I know those ponchos are thin plastic, but hundreds or thousands of them being thrown away in a park is still a lot of trash. It’s not weird to add that into the equation.

Yeah I don't what to do either. Ponchos or rain coat? We're heading down Tuesday and my husband picked up some ponchos. It's just too darn hot in those things though. I'm more concerned about my sneakers in those downpours so I picked up some shoe covers.

I'm more concerned about my sneakers in those downpours so I picked up some shoe covers.

Ugh. I had on Sketchers Go Walks and my feet were so wet all day. I don’t know what the solution for shoes is. I don't like slipping around in flip flops either. Maybe Tevas if you have a pair that are broken in. The streets were literally flooded on Monday. Puddles were almost impossible to avoid.

I was happy with a light raincoat and umbrella for the heaviest rain. DS just did a hat and imbrella. He says he was dry in his leather sneakers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter