Ponds

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
Years ago, maybe in 1996, I asked here about how to keep a small pond clear. Great Dis'ers helped me out, we got an ultraviolet filter which does the trick.

Now, there must be others with a pond. How about posting about your pond, pictures.

I will post a picture of my pond after we were gone 3 1/2 weeks. There was rain, and I think my house watcher did put water in it. I am thrilled. My small pond gives me lots of pleasure. There are 4-6 regular gold fish in it, have not bought any since 1996, they have lived a long time, get a few babies ever few years. Frogs come to stay awhile every so often. We live in the suburbs, but there's a creek about 1/4 mile away, I suppose that's where the frogs come from.

dca1faf02717b9e69091a02a6d7296dd_zpsce6710a5.jpg

Years ago, maybe in 1996, I asked here about how to keep a small pond clear. Great Dis'ers helped me out, we got an ultraviolet filter which does the trick.

Now, there must be others with a pond. How about posting about your pond, pictures.

I will post a picture of my pond after we were gone 3 1/2 weeks. There was rain, and I think my house watcher did put water in it. I am thrilled. My small pond gives me lots of pleasure. There are 4-6 regular gold fish in it, have not bought any since 1996, they have lived a long time, get a few babies ever few years. Frogs come to stay awhile every so often. We live in the suburbs, but there's a creek about 1/4 mile away, I suppose that's where the frogs come from.

dca1faf02717b9e69091a02a6d7296dd_zpsce6710a5.jpg

Snakes are such a big problem in our rural area -- so ponds aren't a great idea unless you want to deal with these kinds of visitors. My mom tried to have a small fish pond once but a moccasin decided he wanted to live in it and ate all her fish and frogs. So the pond had to go. Just can't have moccasins living outside your door -- they aren't as courtesy as a rattlesnake, no warning sounds. ;)

Nice pond Bobbi! Our pond is more of a cement base that is lifted off the ground. It is covered by wire, and there is a roof so that the toads are not able to get in, and so the cats are not able to catch the fish. We have kois, goldfish-comets, and guppies. We added a few other fishies in there, but not sure if they are still living. We have water lilies, and other water plants in there as well.

Wow, I feel for you who have to deal with snakes. Here in Ohio, during one summer of drought we were gone for 2 weeks, and when we returned 3 garter snakes left the pond. This was years ago, and I imagine there have been others, but we are not in an area with many snakes.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Nice pond Bobbi! Our pond is more of a cement base that is lifted off the ground. It is covered by wire, and there is a roof so that the toads are not able to get in, and so the cats are not able to catch the fish. We have kois, goldfish-comets, and guppies. We added a few other fishies in there, but not sure if they are still living. We have water lilies, and other water plants in there as well.

I remember that you sent me a picture of yours, Patsy! Do you have time to just sit and enjoy the fish?

I remember that you sent me a picture of yours, Patsy! Do you have time to just sit and enjoy the fish?

Oh yes, I remember I did send you pictures of our pond. There was a big toad in there weeks ago that was hard to catch, but my DH final caught it, and our nights have been quieter since then. After that, I don't want to go by that pond. I do sometimes sit or stand in front of our aquariums to enjoy the other fish. :fish:

Would you mind telling me how big your pond is? I am hoping to build a small pond/waterfall next spring. Did you build it yourself? How hard is the up keep of one? I don't think I'll have fish in mine though because of my dog. Any feedback both pros and cons would be helpful.

Would you mind telling me how big your pond is? I am hoping to build a small pond/waterfall next spring. Did you build it yourself? How hard is the up keep of one? I don't think I'll have fish in mine though because of my dog. Any feedback both pros and cons would be helpful.

The pond is about 100-120 gallons and my 2 sons dug the hole for the pre formed pond in a few hours. We have 2 pumps with filters. One is a standard bottom filter, the other is the filter with the ultra violet light that deals with algae. It was harder to keep the water clear before we got the second filter. Both filters get cleaned once a week, but this is flexible.

During the winter we have a de-icer so the fish make it through our Ohio winters.

We thought of expanding the pond, but we're happy as is.

We have always had a dog. Once, our golden retriever decided to swim in the pond! The worst time is in spring, if we get a heat wave,(90's for a week) the small pond heats too hot. During the summer, lily pads provide shade, but in May, the water gets too hot and I have had fish die. To prevent this, I need to add blocks of ice to the pond a few times a day.

If you don't have fish, you won't have the problem with fish.

Good luck!

While weeding the other day, I disturbed one of the slate stones and surprised and was surprised by a bull frog! Wow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!