Pooh size & rides

jacksonsmom

<font color=blue>Can you guess who I am a mom for?
We are heading to Disneyland in August. Our first time ever to visit Disneyland!!! :cool1:

Anyway, we have some pooh-size members in our party. Mainly we are a big stomach & wide hips kind of family. The heaviest person in our family is about a size 26/28.

We were wondering how are the rides at Disneyland for the pooh size fans? We have been to WDW & really never had a problem. A few rides were on the tight side but nothing we could not do.

The rides we are really curious about are:
Indiana Jones
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice in Wonderland
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Tea Cups
Roger Rabbit's Spin
Autopia
Tower of Terror (mainly does it have a lap bar or seat belts)
Soarin'
The rides in Bug's Land (especially the Heimlich's Train)
Sun Wheel
California Screamin'
Mulholland Madness
Jumpin' Jellyfish
Golden Zephyr

If anyone could give us info on all or any of these rides for the pooh size, I would greatly appreicate it.
Also how are the turnisles at Disneyland? I know a few at WDW are on the small side, especially the one at Haunted Manison, it was even on the tight side for me.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Hi

I've visited DL in many different sizes, the largest being a 22/24 and never had real problems. The only ride I've ever heard of having a weight restriction is the Orang Stinger in CA, which I didn't want to do anyway. Its like a carnival swing ride. They had a limit of 200lbs when they first opened, although I haven't seen any warning in a long time.

Of the rides you listed, most have bench type seating, so you're not trying to squeeze into the seats (like at a movie theatre, I hated going to the movies).

Anyway, you will have to fit into individual seats in Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror, Soarin, and CA Screamin. All but CA Screamin have seatbelts. I was always able to fit into the seats and had seat belt left over, so you should be fine. On CA Screamin, you've got the overhead bar as on most coasters that go upside down. The only problem I had with that was that my chest was squeezed a little, but the bar still went down enough to ride.

On Matterhorn, the seating is one in front of the other. You may want to just have everyone ride solo. On Teacups, you'll have room to sit, but it may be hard to spin the wheel to spin your cup.

Go, have fun, don't worry about it.

Indiana Jones, no problem, I'm pretty sure I've seen them give seat belt extenders, though I've never needed one and never had a problem.

Rides you may have an issue with 2 really big people sitting together (though my sis and I have ridden together without problems)
Big Thunder, Mr. Toads, Alice in Wonderland, Roger Rabbits, Heimlich, Golden Zepher.

Matterhorn, it's much more confortable to ride by yourself or with a child, otherwise the one in front ends up sitting on the floor (I speak for experience).

Alice in wonderland is set up with a small seat in front and a big seat in back. They must have more weight in back than in front. We generally sit with DD in front and us in back not problems, we've even squished the 3 of us in back but a tight fit. They have not problems with people taking back and no one in the front.

Tea cups are just like WDW, so you may not get as many per tea cup, and getting through the door can be a pain, but no problems.

Autopia should be fine, nice big cars with nice big seatbelts.

Tower of terror has seat belts, haven't ridden myself but sis has and had no problems

Soarin, no problems whatsoever, we were just there Monday night, and there was a group of about 7 extremely large people (each person was at least over 200 and most well over) and they all rode together no problems whatsoever.

All rides in bugs land are fine. Tuck and Rolls is sort of a pain as the lap bar is made strangly so those with bigger tummes end up having the lap bar almost at their chins.

Sun wheel no problem, They may have a weight limit, and limit the number of people per car, but we've had 4 people ride no problems.

California scream no problem

mulholland madness been a while since I've ridden, we didn't have a problem, but this one might have had the lapbar in the chin also I don't remember.

Jumpin jelly fish is fine, for big tummies, though exteremely wide people may have an issue, I never have though.

Orange Stinger, has a weight limit of 220 I belive. One CM asked another CM why the weight limit, and they said it wasn't so much wait but body size, they didn't know anyother way to politely say, bigger people may get their behinds stuck in the seats. (this is a swing type ride).

I have not ridden Orange stinger, Mailboomer or TOT at DCA (have at WDW). Only because these aren't my types of rides I hate the up down motion. My sis has ridden on all and never had any problems.

I am a size 20 and the only ride I have a problem with is Mullholland Madness. I am fine when I ride with DH but if I try to ride with my daughter it can be a bit iffy. The reason is that the bar has to close down enough over me that it doesn't have too much open room for her (I hope that makes sense). The bar is shared between both people riding in the same car. They have cushion like thing they slide on the bar for the child but they have this measurement stick that they put between the bar and the child. If there is too much room then its not safe for the child. One time I thought I was going to have to get off but I sucked it in and the bar went down another notch! This was on a cold day and I had on a sweater and jacket making me bulkier. Now since then just to be safe I ride with DH and put my kids in front of us together. They are 8 and 10 so that is fine. I have seen several adults trying to ride with their kids have to exit this ride or put the child with a smaller size person. Once I saw a man and his son have this problem and a lady riding alone suggested the son ride with her which worked fine. My father in law is big sized guy (3x) and always rides fine with my son but his weight is up higher. Mine is all in my hips and tummy right where the bar goes. Just be prepared to maybe shuffle things a bit with kids/adults. The only other ride that ever feels kind of cramped is Astro Orbitor. I can ride fine with my kids. It is awkward getting in and out but you should be fine. That is a ride most adults either ride solo or with a child. Two skinny adults are fine to ride together. You will have a great time, Disney is very size friendly!

P.S. You mentioned Heimlich's Train. No problem, it has a bench seat with a long seatbelt you wouldn't even need since it only goes about 2 miles per hour. Very fun for the little kids! I think Jumpin Jellyfish has a weight limit of maybe 300 lbs total or something like that.

DH2B and I are both pooh sized, and he's 6'4" to boot. He only has a problem with Indiana Jones. That's just because of his height though, his knees bang on the seat in front of us. When I was a 26/28, I wasn't able to fit on Mulholland Madness (boy, was that embarassing!! :blush: ), and I don't dare try the Orange Stinger (or the rides in Bug's Land). We haven't been able to make it to Tower of Terror yet, but we've never had a problem on any other ride. California Screamin' is one of our favorites, and we're always able to sit next to each other.

Oh, one time I did have to ask for a seatbelt extension on Grizzly River Run, but just that once (and the next time I went, I thought I had gained weight, but I didn't need one......go figure :confused3 )

I hope you have a great time on your trip!!! :earsgirl:

Thank you for your replies.

Sounds like for the most part all the rides will be OK.
Mulholland Madness sounds like it might be iffy for some in our party. Guess we will just have to check it out when we arrive.

Thanks again!

Hi,
Thanks for the information about weight issues with Disneyland but what about Florida? I am traveling with my husband, who is about 6'3 and 300lbs and I was wondering if there will be a problem with the rides at Epcot or Animal Kingdom? Anyone who has any information would be great. We went to Six Flags and was turned away from many of the rides, which was a waste of time after waiting in line.
Thanks

skeeter918: Go to www.allearsnet.com and click on WDW at large. It is very detailed info about larger sized people and all the parks including the waterparks. It will make you feel at ease since Disney parks are much more size friendly!

I'm a 24 with large behind and hips, and I guess my stomach is somewhat large also. (I'm not sure I'm ready to admit that, lol) Here are my observations:
Indiana Jones--no real problems
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad--a bit tight, I usually like to ride with one of my children for comfort. Riding with my husband is quite a squeeze!
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride--no problem
Alice in Wonderland--tight fit, but I have managed to ride with my husband.
Matterhorn Bobsleds--sorry, have never managed to be there when it's open!
Tea Cups--not a lot of leg room!
Roger Rabbit's Spin--no problems. I do ride with one of my children.
Autopia--I don't remember having any trouble on this at all, but I always ride with one of my children.
Tower of Terror (mainly does it have a lap bar or seat belts)--Eek! I've been on this, I don't remember being uncomfortable at all. At least, not before the ride started and I blacked out. :rotfl: It has seat belts.
Soarin'--no problems
The rides in Bug's Land (especially the Heimlich's Train)--tight squeeze, but didn't really have any trouble with these. I did refuse to go on any rides that seemed too small, but I wasn't that excited by the rides here, anyway.
Sun Wheel--No worries! This is just like a Ferris wheel.
California Screamin'--didn't ride it, probably won't. My husband did, but he's got dainty little hips. (Okay, don't tell him I said that.)
Mulholland Madness--the only problem here is that the lap bar might bump your belly. If you're riding with a smaller person (in my case, my kids) they'll ask that the smaller people ride together or they'll put a bar adapter on so that the smaller people are more secure. This ride is VERY jerky, so if you have any back problems you might reconsider. And don't wear a hat on it.
Jumpin' Jellyfish--rode this, no real problem. You might be slightly squeezed, but I don't remember being uncomfortable.
Golden Zephyr--I don't really remember this ride, but is it the giant rocket-type swings that go around in a circle? If so, no problem.

As for turnstyles, I had to turn sideways and go up on my tiptoes a bit. They're squeezy, but doable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter