Pool chair situation/crowds

disneygirl777

Mouseketeer
Hi all! Just booked a very last minute trip to Aulani next week (will be there the 19th-23rd)...they had some great rates I assume because of the pool renovations. I've never been before and was wondering just how bad the pool chair situation is? I've been reading the more recent threads and so many people mention that it's difficult to get a chair at the pool, so I'm just wondering exactly how difficult this is? We go to the Westin Maui Villas every year in March, and I've learned that my favorite part of the day is super early, just chilling on a pool chair, but there it's not too hard to get a chair. If I go out to the pool area (I guess probably near the grotto pool, seems to be the best spot) around 5:30am and grab the two of us some chairs and just chill there, can I expect to get some decent chairs that early? I'm a redhead and sunscreen doesn't really work for me so hopefully will be able to snag something under an umbrella, I kinda need it but doubt I could afford a cabana even if by some chance there was one still available. I'm getting a little nervous about this trip as everyone seems to say the resort is super crowded anyway, and I'm a bit nervous what it will be like during phase 2 of the reno, with the main pool closed and everything. I don't use the pools for more than a quick dip a couple times throughout the day, I spend most of my time on a lounger, but I'm concerned the pool areas that are open are just going to be miserably crowded. As I haven't been before I can't really get a scope of how big the resort is/how much space there is around the pool decks for people and loungers/if the 2 pools that will be open+the lazy river are really enough for all the people that will be there. I can cancel through the 14th, and I don't want to as I've been dying to come to Aulani and was looking for a destination for my birthday trip anyway, but I'm starting to get super anxious about this all. I don't want to have a super stressful trip if it's going to be impossible to get pool chairs and if I'm going to be crammed into a tiny pool deck area with a million other people. Putting this trip off until construction is over isn't really an option, it's either now or a while in the future as I already have trips for next year lined up. Any input is so appreciated!

assuming the lazy river is finished on time its hard to say how the crowds will be (if its not finished...well chairs shouldn’t be hard to come by at any time).

the crowds while the lazy river was down seemed like they were very light (compared to “normal”)...but pretty sure the lazy river is more of a draw than the main pool...so it could be that the crowds return to “normal”...and the pool areas feel more crowded due to less chairs overall.

if everything goes according to schedule the crowd levels this weekend should indicate how crowded it will be during the 2nd half.

if all you mostly want is to lounge around under an umbrella...maybe a casabella would work (nicer chair under an umbrella on the beach). cheaper than a cabana and not too difficult to book (pretty sure its still gotta be booked day of).

aulani will have a few halloween activities and such as well...if crowd levels go back to normal with so many chairs and the main pool unavailable...I’d hope aulani would be able to react by adding more activities...but have to wait a few more days to see how it might end up playing out.

Fair enough, thanks for the input! Will definitely be incredibly unhappy if the lazy river isn't finished, it being open again was kind of the deciding point for us to go ahead and book...I did read someone saying that they saw them filling it with water so sounds like good news! Do you think they'd tell me if it wasn't going to be if I called before my cancellation period ends Monday? If I was to find out it was behind schedule and wasn't going to be open I might proceed with cancelling and just stay at the Marriott next door, as I can't see how the grotto pool and adult pools would be anywhere near enough for those to be the only 2 open, although it's hard to tell how large they are based on photos alone. My main concern is really just the chairs, I can deal with a crowded pool for a quick dip, although I am really looking forward to the lazy river.

I definitely considered a beach casabella, just really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to, and also not a huge fan of posting up in the sand, it always seems to get everywhere. I'm more than happy with a semi shaded spot on the pool deck, and I can definitely get up as early as needed to get the chairs and stay with them (coming from NYC, so I will be up early anyway, will just bring a book down to read), I was just wondering how early that needs to be. If I go down at 5:15/5:30 is that a decent time?

Sounds like I'll be able to get a better picture from someone who's there this upcoming weekend, so if anyone sees this and wants to report back with their experiences, I'd love to hear it! I planned this knowing full well it wasn't going to be my typical relaxing pool Hawaii trip due to crowds and such, but I'm really trying to decide last minute if I made a good decision with this.

We were there in September and the resort was at half capacity. I was in the pool area at 7AM every day and almost every lounger was available. If you go down at 6 I would think you could find a nice spot under an umbrella without a problem. My guess is crowds should be about the same during phase 2.

Someone who is there now said they are thinking the lazy river will open Friday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!