Pool hopping restrictions for Thanksgiving/Christmas posted

buckylarue

Can't decide who's Statler and who's Waldorf...
I hadn't seen anyone mention this on here yet, but the official DVC website has the dates of 11/20-11/25/01 and 12/22/01-1/2/02 posted as no pool hopping allowed, with the proviso that other dates may be added depending on resort capacities. It's nice that they're giving this much advance notice at least! (And I guess maybe we should tell folks to 'buy where you want to swim'....) ;)

Am I the only one that was really disappointed with Luna Park? I thought SAB was tons better, and even the old Poly pool. I'll have to make sure I don't go at these "no hopping" times.

We arrive at the BW on 11/25 and for the first time are planning on pool-hopping to Stormalong Bay at some point that week. It would be just our luck that they extend the blackout date until after we leave. ;)

Thanks for the info BLR. :)

Are the pools at all the WDW resorts really at capacity at Thanksgiving and throughout Christmas/New Years week? I appreciate that DVC wants to provide advance warning about pool hopping restrictions. But high room occupancy does not necessarily mean that pools will be at capacity.

When I've been at WDW around Christmas, it's been cold. Sure, I spotted a few hearty souls using the water slide at Stormalong Bay even though the air was barely above freezing. But the pool area was pretty much unused.

I wouldn't want to pool hop when it's cold -- but why should heartier DVC members be prevented from using the pool hopping benefit at a time when pool capacity really isn't an issue?

If there's hotter-than-usual weather in December and some WDW resorts anticipate thay will have pool capacity issues, then those resorts should say "sorry, no" to DVC members who call the front desk, per current DVC pool hopping policy. Otherwise, DVC members whould be welcomed. And, who knows? Those members might spend $100 on dinner while at that resort.

Just to elaborate what Werner said, I was at BW during the last ban (4th of July week) and SAB was not crowded. I respected the ban and did not sneak in, I just checked it out when I went to eat at Beaches n' Cream or took my daughter to the arcade. This would make sense since a lot of reports on this board did report the 4th of July week was quieter than usual. The checking of ID's and tighter security probably also kept away non-DVC people who often crash all resort pools. Maybe they should keep the security all the time and ban pool hopping on a day by day basis during these peak times. By the way, I stayed at Luna pool all week and enjoyed it.

I like that Bucky, "buy where you want to swim".

I don't have problems with the rules regarding pool hopping. I think the key is to know what the restrictions are ahead of time and be sure to check with the resort if pool hopping is allowed before you go.

On our recent visit to OKW in late June, we had no problem pool hopping to the new Poly pool or SAB. We called ahead and were told both times we would be welcomed and to come and have fun.

This constant erosion of the pool hopping benefit is interesting. Those thanking Disney for announcing the ever increasing bans is even more interesting. Kind of reminds me of pre WWII Germany. Does anyone really think that pool hopping will be a long term option. With WLV selling, BCV then a new 600 unit resort, there's just no way for the pools to handle that traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter