Pool Lounges - do you need to be a hotel guest to eat/drink there?

DharmaLou

Once a Princess, Always a Princess
We're wanting to take a 2-3 hour break from MK on our full day there but we have a FP at 11:25 and another at 2:45 to be back for so we wanted to go sit and have a few drinks at one of the hotels closer to MK (obviously we don't have to be back to MK right at 2:45) Most of the lounges I'm seeing are at pools, and I'm wondering if you have to be a hotel guest to go there - i.e. Barefoot Pool, Courtyard Pool, The Sand Bar, etc.

Most of the pool bars are outside the gates so you should be ok. However, Poly has Trader Sams Grog Grotto (in my opinion the best bar in all of WDW). So much fun and probably won’t be too crowded that early in the day. Also a bar on second level in front of Ohanas. GF also has a new bar right in the lobby with tons of seating and you might get lucky enough that the band is playing for entertainment.

Poly has Trader Sams Grog Grotto (in my opinion the best bar in all of WDW). So much fun and probably won’t be too crowded that early in the day.

Unfortunately, according to the WDW website, Trader Sam's doesn't open until 3pm, which is when we'd be needing to head back. That's one of my favorites at DLR also, so was hoping to squeeze in a stop but I don't think it will happen (at least that day). We'll look for the one near Ohana, perhaps!

Unfortunately, according to the WDW website, Trader Sam's doesn't open until 3pm, which is when we'd be needing to head back. That's one of my favorites at DLR also, so was hoping to squeeze in a stop but I don't think it will happen (at least that day). We'll look for the one near Ohana, perhaps!
Bummer. Didn’t know that. Sorry. Since they had food I assumed they would be open for lunch. ☺️

Tambu Lounge is the bar next to Ohana - that’s open to anyone and should be an easy walk up at your timing. Unless you have any objection to Tiki drinks, this would be my pick. Get a Lapu Lapu. :-)

Yes, Trader Sams won’t be open at your timing.

The Barefoot Pool Bar is half in and half outside the pool gates. There are only a handful of bar stools outside the gates.

The Courtyard Pool bar and Sand Bar are behind pool gates. (ETA, correction, Sand Bar is outside the pool gates, but you don’t want to hang out there, in my opinion - worst pool bar on property).

Other options would be The Wave lounge at CR (easy walk to/from MK). Mizners at GF would also be a good option but it’s closed for refurb, not sure what the temporary situation is at the moment.

Hope that helps!

(I still vote Tambu Lounge!)

If you're not going when it's hot, I would recommend Geyser Point. It's really pretty (on the water) and we had good service at the bar. It's open air, though.

The bar at the Wave should be open, too, since they serve lunch there. It's air conditioned ;)

Tambu it is!

ETA: ugh, also doesn't open until 3:30. Boo.

I know the hours say 3:30 on the WDW website, but I could swear they are open earlier. I was just there at the end of July and am almost certain we would have been there pre 3:30 at some point, although I’m not 100% confident in that.

One thing to thinks about pool bars: Even if they are accessible (with seats outside the pool gates), the chairs may be really wet from people who stopped after getting out of the pool. We did this once while waiting for our room to be ready, and were soaked and had to change into dry clothes when the room finally was ready.

If you really want to take a break then do it, otherwise there should be no problem moving up that FP time from 2:45 the night before or morning of your visit by modifying your FP time to avoid huge gaps between them & in hopes of getting a 4th...5th...6th FP in your day.

You can also order wine & beer at the monorail resorts' counter service restaurants and enjoy them while relaxing in the lobby or sitting outside and watching the water or monorail. I highly suggest taking the monorail Grand Floridian or Poly- or taking a boat to the Wilderness Lodge. (GF & WL have beautiful lobbies. Poly has a nice seating area upstairs where you can people watch and enjoy a peaceful break.) Pineapple Lanai at the Poly also has Dole Whips with rum. :D
One time, when the parks were especially crowded and hot, my DH just wasn't feeling the Disney magic and wanted to take an impromptu mid-day break at the Poly's lounge. We ended up having such a nice time that we stayed for a few hours and rescheduled our fast passes to later that evening. It was the best thing thing that we did to salvage our day! Best wishes & have fun!!
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/polynesian-resort/pineapple-lanai/

Last edited:
You can always hop a boat to/from Wilderness Lodge. There’s a great lounge inside the hotel- Territory Lounge? It’s kind of tucked off to the side, but good drinks and the hotel makes you feel like you’ve stepped off property for a minute.

I know the hours say 3:30 on the WDW website, but I could swear they are open earlier. I was just there at the end of July and am almost certain we would have been there pre 3:30 at some point, although I’m not 100% confident in that.
I was there last week and it was definitely before 3:30 and there were already quite a bit of people in the lounge enjoying drinks and food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter