Pool time with 16 month and floatie question

Sarahlaila

Earning My Ears
Here at home my 16 month old uses a little baby float in the pool or I hold her. I think baby floats are probably not allowed at the resort pools. She’s only 17 pounds and petite. Any suggestions on comfortable floatation swimwear? Or is it okay to bring a baby float from swimways?

Here at home my 16 month old uses a little baby float in the pool or I hold her. I think baby floats are probably not allowed at the resort pools. She’s only 17 pounds and petite. Any suggestions on comfortable floatation swimwear? Or is it okay to bring a baby float from swimways?
I've seen swimways at a friend's house in the 'burbs, and state parks; just adorable and as an "enamored w/ the product" mommy owner told us fits in the back of her car once deflated. WDW allows some flotation devices but I haven't seen one of the swimway type there - maybe give Disney a call and ask if you don't get a definitive response here?

I've seen the flotation swimwear at WDW.

Last edited:
been awhile since I had one using a baby float at age when we were at Disney but years ago we were not allowed to use as guard could not see bottom of pool near float. only able to use floats that were listed as coast guard approved we were told at that time but guards had to be able to see bottom of pool near float

I've used the swimways float for my little guy 4 trips in the past year. No issues!

He's #5. I've used a variety of baby floats and puddle jumpers over the years with no issues. We stay all over the place, value to deluxe, and I've never had anyone say anything to me.

Each resort also had life jackets for infant on up available free of use.

I would definitely recommend trying an infant life vest. My 9 month old is about 20 lbs and does really well in them

Awww she's so tiny!!! I was 10 pounds when I was a year old! ( I was a preemie) But my son was almost 10 pounds when he was born. He was around 30 pounds at a year. I was amazed he came out of me! He used a puddle jumper at that age but that might be too big for her arms - though I used to have to stuff his arms through. I would get an infant life jacket for her and bring that. The pools supply youth life jackets but they might be too big so if you bring one you'll know it will fit. Over the years we've brought life jackets, puddle jumpers and those foam square that strap on the back and no problems ever from the lifeguards. I have seen baby floats (the ones they sit in like little rafts) in the quiet pools - no lifeguards there.

we were at pop over Thanksgiving and the lifeguard told a family they couldnt have the baby float in the pool for safwty reasons

I had a tiny girl at that age too! (She's 5 now and has discovered food is a good thing but she's still only about 35lbs)
Last year we brought a Puddle Jumper, but for her first trip we used one of the infant life vests that Saratoga Springs resort provided by the pool. I've attached a picture so you can see what it looks like. It kept her head above water and wouldn't let her turn over at all. This was in 2016, but I'd assume they still have something similar. Hope you have a great trip!!IMG_20180625_210847.jpg

We used something similar to the swimway at ASMu a few years ago and nobody said a word. At the time I didn’t realize they weren’t allowed, but we didn’t get a second look from anyone. CMs and guests included.

By that age with both my boys we put them in puddle jumpers. You can't leave them unattended in the pool---but they were great where they could still maneuver around but I felt secure with them having them on. Last time we were there they had lots of life jackets like the picture above as well. My 2.5 year old at the time hated it because he complained it made him hot and he couldn't move in it.

By that age with both my boys we put them in puddle jumpers. You can't leave them unattended in the pool---but they were great where they could still maneuver around but I felt secure with them having them on. Last time we were there they had lots of life jackets like the picture above as well. My 2.5 year old at the time hated it because he complained it made him hot and he couldn't move in it.

My son loves his puddle jumper, too. The problem is that OP’s child is petite and at 17 lbs, is nowhere near the 30 lb. requirement for a puddle jumper. My son was right at 30 lbs at 18 months and it seemed a little big on him then. He’s 33 lbs now at 2.5 (and several inches taller) and it fits him much better this year. There’s just no way it will fit a 17 lb child.

I had a tiny girl at that age too! (She's 5 now and has discovered food is a good thing but she's still only about 35lbs)
Last year we brought a Puddle Jumper, but for her first trip we used one of the infant life vests that Saratoga Springs resort provided by the pool. I've attached a picture so you can see what it looks like. It kept her head above water and wouldn't let her turn over at all. This was in 2016, but I'd assume they still have something similar. Hope you have a great trip!!View attachment 332528

They still had them at SSR when we went last year. They worked great for my little one. At the time, he was days shy of 2 and about 23 pounds. They do make infant puddle jumper life jackets for kids less than 30 lbs, but we didn't see the need to bring anything with us since the resorts provide a nice equivalent.

My son will be 3 in 2 months and only weighs 29 lbs. Size 9-12 month pants still fit him in the waist, but he's in the 95th percentile for height. He eats a ton too, so I have no idea where it all goes.

We have an 18m but by about 9m he was tall enough to topple over the baby float thing we had. We got a swim school trainer thing that is a vest that slips over the head with a small inflatable ring and strap for between the legs. We kept it loose between his legs so it floated up to his armpits and this was a perfect way to keep his head up while we held him in pool. I don’t know the rules on this in Disney but since it’s attatched like swimmies or puddle jumpers I can’t see it posing a risk of blocking their view. It does require us to hold him but we do this anyway as he’s too young to swim. It’s not as bulky as a life vest so it also allows me to more easily pull him along as I swim and gives him a greater range of motion.

I would suggest planning to use the infant life jacket pictured above provided by the resorts if swimming at the main pools, especially if you are flying. The quiet pools do not have life guards (but do have life jackets) so you could probably use what ever you would like there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts