Pop Century...Fewer Amenities?

paradefreak

Earning My Ears
In this thread - http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140912 - about the rumor of CBR closing to staff PC, Another Voice stated that a rumor was circulating that Pop Century will open with fewer amenities than the All-Stars (thus allowing for a reclassification of the All-Stars). How is this possible? I love the All-Stars but all they offer is a room and a food court. How can PC open with less than this?

Room
Pool
Food Court
Coin Laundry Facility
Simple Playground
Pizza Delivery
Refillable Mugs
Gift Shop
Game Room
Pool Bar

That's about all I can think of at the All Stars. I wonder what (that isn't a profit center on its own) will be cut??

The only thing I can think of is
Pool bar, game room, and pizza delivery!!

At one point I was looking forward to seeing Pop Century, I have to say not any more..

I can't image they can make all stars live up to the mods???

I can't image they can make all stars live up to the mods???
It's not a matter of making the all stars live up to the mods, it's a matter of making the guest accept the all stars as a moderate level hotel. I wouldn't expect much to be done to the all stars, other than a price increase...which I think will kill a lot of their appeal.

I personally like the all stars, but not any price higher than the "discounted" price. I view them as a room. The aren't magical, but they are different than the same, drab offerings from the Holiday Inn, et al. If both hotels are the same cost, I'll choose the all stars. If the All Stars are $20-40 more per night, I'm headed elsewhere.

But I wouldn't compare them to Coronado Springs, CBR, DXL, & PO. But apparently Disney is planning on the current mods to fade from people's memories.

P.S. I can only but cringe at the thought of what ammenities they remove from Pop Century to make it a "value"....no soap or Shampoo in the rooms? Twin Beds? Off Site Parking? No Pool? Bring your own towels? No Phones in the rooms?

YIKES!

So what will happen to CBR?
Im not a big fan of the All stars, I have stayed at them 2 different times. If I was on a tight budget or if we arrived early, its a good place. However I think of them as a Disney motel 6. I can stay at Lake Buena Vista Comfort inn for 32.95 a night.
Which is good for the price. However I love the CBR! I don't like paying 118.00 a night ( that's the DC rate for Dec). But
It's better then paying 250 for the polyneisan. However if the polynesian is 189 a night, I'll pay that.

I just can't image whats in their minds.

I posted my comment in the other thread before I saw this one. What in the world could Disney take away to make Pop Century less of a resort than the Allstars? Except for the icons and that Disney "magic" that most people can't easily define, the Allstars don't have the amenities of a good Holiday Inn! So where would that leave Pop Century? I guess on someone else's Visa if this is true. ;)

I remember when CBR was a "value" resort, 69.00/night when it first opened.
Was it that long ago???????

Keep in mind that the buildings at Pop Century have one more floor than the All Stars, so there will be more people occupying a certain amount of square footage. That in itself may make PC seem more congested than the All Stars, and less desirable.

the DTD hotels should LOVE it. I can see poeple staying there. Less money and probably more bang for their buck.

Maybe you would have to share a bathroom??!!
Or they would make them like dormatories at college??!!
Or like the recovery "ward" at a county hosipital......where there are beds just lined up along the wall with little bed pans underneath......bring your own bed linens and towels......take a number for the shower.
JUST KIDDING!!!!

Anyway.....IMHO....it is just a mind game.
I can see them doing the opposite.......make Pop Century a "moderate" because of it's location.....just a bit closer to the parks than All Stars.
That has to be the only difference. They are already charging more for proximity to the food court and lobby at the All Stars.
But think about it......all hotels do this. Take a look at the price difference of a Holiday Inn ( or any of the hotel chains) located at the main gate vs one way down the highway.

Who knows!!! ????
We will just have to wait and see.

“Room, Pool, Food Court, Coin Laundry Facility, Simple Playground …”

Mr. Gcurling’s list is exactly the same list of amenities that were offered at the “moderate” Caribbean Beach Resort when it opened, and yet no one has ever confused the “amenities” at the All Stars with the “amenities” at the Caribbean Beach. Quality and quantity determine the value of an “amenity” just as much as a “it’s there, no it isn’t” standard.

What will happen to Pop Century is, according to rumor, still in planning. It’s all a matter of rates of return, expected bookings and Disney’s ever increasing cost of capital. It’s not just the hotel – it’s also all the support services as well. Think of all the busses that have to be purchased (or not) if they choose to provide transportation. And if they do, what kind of transportation? Direct service or just to Downtown Disney? And in a time of pinching pennies, there’s presure to find new “innovative” ways of running the business. Won’t McDonald’s love to get a major concession operation going at a Disney resort?

At lot of what happens will be determined by the bookings WDW sees through the next couple of months (and maybe a few other deals). At this point we can only wait and see.

Granted, Captain's Tavern (is that what it's called?) was added after the fact. A couple of other small differences at CBR v. All Stars:

31% larger rooms
Fewer rooms per building, in fewer stories
The presence of "quiet pools" in each village
A water slide at the Feature Pool
A very large "natural" water feature
Hammocks on the Beach
Bicycle Rentals
Boat Rentals (still?)
Coffemakers standard in the room
Double sinks

But, that's all I can think of.

Another Voice - very interesting point about transportation. I never thought of WDW opening a resort with less than full bus service, but I see that it is possible. The McDonald's possibility also makes sense with the ever increasing presence of the golden arches in the World (not that I think it is all bad). Thanks for the post - you always provide thought provoking input.

Originally posted by Another Voice
Won’t McDonald’s love to get a major concession operation going at a Disney resort?

Wait just a minute! Please...NO

I can probably convince myself the Pop Century oversize icons are magical. I can even live with the reduced amenities there in a pinch (this doesn't mean I like the idea, though). But, I can't stand the thought of another McDonalds's intruding upon Disney magic! I go to WDW for an experience I can't get two blocks from home. Not just at Disney, whenever traveling we try to eat at places we can't back home. If my only (or primary) food options are the Golden Arches (now, wouldn't that look good next to the oversize bowling pins) I'd be just as well off eating off property. The All-Star food courts may not approach the Disney magical experience seen at Chef Mickey's or Ohana, but at least you are fully immersed in Disney.

I remember seeing McDonalds French Fries featured in a park restaurant, I forget exactly where. CocaCola I believe has the exclusive on cola soft drinks. There are corporate sponsors everywhere. Some of the huge icons at the ends of the All Star Sports buildings have corporate names on them. Elsewhere, corporate logos are quite small in size. Massive golden arches are a significant icon of the last century so they are appropriate for Pop Century, but won't appear unless McDonalds makes a big sponsorship of them, or perhaps unless Disney requests and McDonalds donates all the French Fries for the entirety of Disney World.

Is Aerosmith an artist or a sponsor? That is, does Disney pay to play Aerosmith's music and use their logos as entertainment and decoration, or does Aerosmith pay to advertise and have music featured in Disney's facilities.

Rhino Records produced a major series of oldies rock CD's, some of them proclaiming the top hits of various years. The Beatles' music was conspicuously missing, that was because negotiating royalty payments for those albums did not succeed.

For our trip in June we chose CBR over All stars for the first 6 nights because of all the things gcurling listed! Especially the bike and boat rentals.
Going for only a few days as we did in Oct, All Stars was perfect for just a place to sleep and clean up.
But we need other things to do on the days we don't plan a full day at the parks when we go in June. Therefore.......a moderate or deluxe is best.
I can't imagine anything less than what is offered at All Stars......It just wouldn't be part of the Disney experience.
If Pop Century is going to offer less......ie. no buses to parks or less pools (meaning more crowded)....then it just makes sense to stay off site for less money!!!

As for McDonalds at PC....wether you want to accept it or not.....it is a fact that, the Golden Arches is part of our culture!!! It would only make sense to put it there. It truely does go along with the theme!!

Pool bar, game room, and pizza delivery
With the possible exception of the pool bar, aren't these all money making ventures in their own right and not "amenities"?

Good point Horizonsfan!!
But even the pool bar is a money making veture! Big money, IMHO.....those are some pretty expensive drinks!

So the way I see it....there really are no "amenities" except for maid service and the pool itself, ,maybe you can say free parking too (some hotels do charge for parking).
I don't think the number of floors really matters either......Beach / yacht clubs and AKL have what 5 or 6 floors. And they are deluxe vs the moderates only have 2 or 3.

I think it is a mind game......a matter of getting the guest to accept the increase in prices.

If they have less at either ALL Stars or PC...which ever they choose to make "value" and price it at what All Stars is now. Then they can raise the prices of all the other resorts.

Which IMHO is a way for the resorts to dig their own graves! They will end up pushing guests out, and more will be staying at an off site resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter