Pop Century Room Renovations

Latest update on post 2 is as of 3/4, so it might be different by now. Some rooms are renovated and opened, but some are still closed. There are no non-renovated 60s rooms that are open. If they are able to put you in the 60s, it'll be refurbed. But considering only some rooms are open, there may be a lower chance than usual for them fulfilling the decades part of your request.

Just back. Has anyone else reported this problem? Our door stopped locking. So my husband says "that's weird I got a red light but it opened". So I tried my band and the same thing, red light when I tapped my band but the door opened. So everyone went in the room and I didn't use my band and the door just opened. It was late so we used the dead bolt and latch then I walked to the front desk in the morning and told them what happened. They said that they would put in a work order. About 20 minutes later a maintenance worker showed up and said that they've been having this problem. They put the doors in "construction mode" so they don't lock while they refurbish the room, then they switch them back to locking mode. However some rooms have been reverting back to construction mode, randomly. When our neighbors heard the guy they popped out and said theirs was doing the same thing. It was fixed pretty quick but I was left with a not good feeling. It was apparent that they're aware of the problem and we weren't the first for this to happen to, yet they're just handling it on a case by case basis. If we hadn't stayed at WDW a million times we probably wouldn't have thought anything of it that the light wasn't green and therefore would have left our room open all day long for anyone to walk into. Although our problem was solved I'm still thinking about writing a letter, stating that they should inform guests that this is a possibility and to make sure that the door is locking when they leave. I don't know, what do you all think? For reference we were in building 7, 80s, 7358.

Just back. Has anyone else reported this problem? Our door stopped locking. So my husband says "that's weird I got a red light but it opened". So I tried my band and the same thing, red light when I tapped my band but the door opened. So everyone went in the room and I didn't use my band and the door just opened. It was late so we used the dead bolt and latch then I walked to the front desk in the morning and told them what happened. They said that they would put in a work order. About 20 minutes later a maintenance worker showed up and said that they've been having this problem. They put the doors in "construction mode" so they don't lock while they refurbish the room, then they switch them back to locking mode. However some rooms have been reverting back to construction mode, randomly. When our neighbors heard the guy they popped out and said theirs was doing the same thing. It was fixed pretty quick but I was left with a not good feeling. It was apparent that they're aware of the problem and we weren't the first for this to happen to, yet they're just handling it on a case by case basis. If we hadn't stayed at WDW a million times we probably wouldn't have thought anything of it that the light wasn't green and therefore would have left our room open all day long for anyone to walk into. Although our problem was solved I'm still thinking about writing a letter, stating that they should inform guests that this is a possibility and to make sure that the door is locking when they leave. I don't know, what do you all think? For reference we were in building 7, 80s, 7358.

Our door was not locked initially. My granddaughter was the first one to open the door so we didn't know right away that there was a problem. She mentioned it to me a little while later when we were getting ready to leave for our dinner reservation for Hoop Dee Doo. I called the phone # for the resort. They sent someone up within 15 minutes. Before they fixed it, there was no green or red light when you held magicband to door lock. Anyone could have just walked in. We were in building 6 in the 70s section.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always double check the door when I leave for the day to make sure it's locked behind me, regardless of what hotel I'm staying in. So I don't know that guests would need a separate notification that this could happen. I would make sure any valuables are secured when you leave for the day, just in case. I would hope that Housekeeping is aware of the issue, as we have no guarantee that they are taking the time to check that the room is locked when they are finished.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always double check the door when I leave for the day to make sure it's locked behind me, regardless of what hotel I'm staying in. So I don't know that guests would need a separate notification that this could happen. I would make sure any valuables are secured when you leave for the day, just in case. I would hope that Housekeeping is aware of the issue, as we have no guarantee that they are taking the time to check that the room is locked when they are finished.

Ok that’s a scary thought, when housekeeping comes and the door decides not to lock anymore and they just don’t notice. We don’t leave valuables laying around but still, that’s very unnerving to think anyone could just walk in your room.

I’m back. Still on the hunt (now passed the year anniversary) for the ever elusive white whale/report or pic from a wheelchair accessible renovated room. Saw the ones in progress from the outside from a few months back. Elsewhere on the wide web there are pictures from the bathroom of a Florida ADA room. Death by oddly placed handrails (wall behind the toilet?).
Anybody have anything on this?

Thanks.

We had a great trip! No problems with our door locks, and I think we are ocd enough to notice if it didn't turn green. Never received the emailed gift cards. After multiple trips to the front desk, waiting 30+ minutes, etc. we finally got physical cards. They insisted that it was sent to the correct email address, but their system showed that the email hadn't been opened, so no problem issuing the cards, just took a while. We have stayed at many of the resorts, and this was my least favorite food court. So few choices and nothing that appealed to us. AoA, CSR, POR, and even the deluxe's seemed to have better options for quick service. Fortunately we had a Safeway grocery delivery (which worked perfectly!) so we had breakfast and late-evening snacks in our room and mostly visited the food court to fill mugs. The kids enjoyed the pool and games, but we missed the hot tub which the mod and deluxe have. We LOVE the Mickey and Pluto decor in the rooms, just the right amount to remind you that you are at Disney. My kids really liked the nostalgic decor around the resort along with the Disney characters. My son pointed out the giant fidget cube (which we all knew as a Rubik's cube), and I realized that he was absolutely correct! The retro theme didn't appeal to me when I booked it, but we actually enjoyed the resort theme and grounds more than most we have stayed at.

The room configuration for the renovated rooms is awesome for us! We can share a room at Deluxe, but prefer two connecting value rooms for our family of 4, so we all have extra space and two bathrooms. The mini-fridge held a lot more than expected, and the coffee pot worked well for oatmeal and hot chocolate as well. Having one queen folded up was amazing! We all slept comfortably sharing queens, which for some reason seem infinitely larger than double beds. The mattresses were very comfortable, and each room had an overabundance of pillows. The second bed was folded up most of the time so we had a real table for breakfast in the room and plenty of space to spread out. One night my youngest had an accident, so we stripped the sheets and moved the kids to the murphy bed. It folded down easily and had the exact same mattress as the regular bed, rather than the half-size, lower quality usually found on fold-outs. The next day, I called down and requested a change of sheets and blankets. They just left them in a pile on the stripped bed, which is understandable since we declined housekeeping, but I was hoping they would at least put them on for us or empty the little trash can next to the pile of sheets which was overflowing by day 5. Still definitely worth declining mouse-keeping to save over $100!

We also had great luck on buses. We usually waited less than 10 minutes leaving the resort, and when lines backed up leaving parks, they sent the second and third buses pretty quickly. This was a pleasant surprise after disappointing transportation experiences at AKL and Poly. CSR and POR were pretty good, but had those annoying multiple stops within the resort. Aside from the EPCOT deluxe's which allow you walk into EP and HS, I think Pop is our favorite for transportation! We used Lyft to get to other resorts and the airport. Building 6 was very convenient to both the main building bus stops and Lyft pick-up in the 90's parking lot. We found the top floor very quiet. We heard occasional sounds from construction or other guests, but nothing more than any other hotel or resort we have stayed at.

Overall, a fabulous hotel for the price and I would be happy to stay there again!

Fortunately we had a Safeway grocery delivery (which worked perfectly!)

Was it waiting for you at the front desk when you arrived? We need some cold items and I’m hoping they keep them cold for us even though we don’t arrive until after 11pm!

I called down and requested a change of sheets and blankets. They just left them in a pile on the stripped bed, which is understandable since we declined housekeeping, but I was hoping they would at least put them on for us

When we stayed at POR last year my granddaughter got sick in the middle of the night, I was in the same bed as her. The sheets and blankets had to be changed, so I called housekeeping for new linens and blankets. While we were waiting for housekeeping I removed everything from the bed. A man arrived with a bag of linens and handed them to me. I handed him all the soiled linens before he left the room. We had housekeeping services at the time. I was surprised at 3am that I had to make the bed. Not easy to get around and make those beds in such tight spaces.

At POP 2 weeks ago, we also declined housekeeping and I asked for a physical card instead of an e-mail. We did wait a few extra minutes for the card, but I wanted to give it to the kids to spend. I agree about buses, they were great. We ate mostly at parks or other resorts, occasional small meal or snacks from food court. We used the mugs daily. Also brought cereal bars, small cereal boxes, microwave popcorn (used microwave in food court) and other snacks for the room. The kids enjoyed the resort decor and pool, but missed the "quiet pools" at moderates that are open late. Our door lock was not functioning on arrival, anyone could walk in at any time. They came up fairly quick to fix it. I asked for extra towels and garbage bags at front desk and put out a bag of garbage and/or used towels next to our door every morning (it was picked up every day except one). We were in 70s, building 6 lakeview on the 3rd floor and there were no noise issues. I would stay here again.

Was it waiting for you at the front desk when you arrived? We need some cold items and I’m hoping they keep them cold for us even though we don’t arrive until after 11pm!

Our order included beer and wine, so we had to meet it personally. The latest delivery window was 8-9pm, earliest would be 9-10am. I believe most resorts have facilities to refrigerate, but I have not personally used them. The mini-fridges easily held twice as much as I expected with removable shelves for flexibility, probably 48 drinks total. We ordered small sizes of everything, but next time would go with the half-gallon of milk and larger containers of lunch meat and snacks. Only the full size bottle of wine didn't fit--stick with the picnic pack :thumbsup2

While we wold love to stay at one of the deluxe resort, DH and I have decided to stay at Pop again the last week of August. We loved the renovated rooms since it is just the 3 of us. I will say the queen beds do make for a tight fit but the moderates haven't impressed us lately.

Wednesday marks three weeks until I arrive - will be eagerly awaiting my text/room assignment from home - hoping for another update before then. If not my only plans arrival night are to walk around the resort so will provide any updates I find.

Ditto. EEK!

We are 3 1/2 weeks!! Can’t wait to get back! We requested 60’s.... standard room.... hoping we get a renovated room so bad! Last year our mattress was so bad that I didn’t sleep our entire stay! I just don’t think I can do that again! Fingers crossed!

We are 3 1/2 weeks!! Can’t wait to get back! We requested 60’s.... standard room.... hoping we get a renovated room so bad! Last year our mattress was so bad that I didn’t sleep our entire stay! I just don’t think I can do that again! Fingers crossed!

If you are going in 3 weeks and have a standard room requested you may want to reconsider the 60's section. The 60's section has mainly Preferred Pool View rooms and Preferred View rooms. We are not aware that any standard rooms are currently open in the 60's section and they may not be in 3 weeks either. The second group of rooms in Building 5 (the area with some of their standard rooms) closed 60 days ago so it's understandable that they're not open yet. All of building 4 is closed which houses the other standard rooms.

It's up to you but if your first preference is for a refurbished room you may wish to change your primary request to another refurbished area as standard rooms in the 60's if available at all, will be slim pickings.

If you are going in 3 weeks and have a standard room requested you may want to reconsider the 60's section. The 60's section has mainly Preferred Pool View rooms and Preferred View rooms. We are not aware that any standard rooms are currently open in the 60's section and they may not be in 3 weeks either. The second group of rooms in Building 5 (the area with some of their standard rooms) closed 60 days ago so it's understandable that they're not open yet. All of building 4 is closed which houses the other standard rooms.

It's up to you but if your first preference is for a refurbished room you may wish to change your primary request to another refurbished area as standard rooms in the 60's if available at all, will be slim pickings.
Currently requested a preferred room in Building 5 for next week should I change?

Currently requested a preferred room in Building 5 for next week should I change?

It's hard to tell. I'm pretty sure there are some preferred rooms available in Building 5 but we haven't received any concrete information about what parts are open and what parts are closed so we're doing our best to speculate based on when the first wing of rooms was closed in December and that someone stated late last month that they were in Building 5. My best guess (and this is only a guess) is that 1/3 of the Preferred rooms are open in Building 5 and probably will be next week too. The 70's section is very close to the 60's and has a number of preferred rooms. That might be a good/better option but it's up to you.

Wish I could provide more concrete info but we are dependent on those at the resort to provide updates as they have time about what buildings and portions of buildings are open and/or closed at any given time.

If you have an opportunity to supply and updates when you're there I know @HopperFan and I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much for the suggestion! Yes, I will change my requests! I love Pop, but those mattresses!!! I came close to asking for a room change, but remembered I had a similar problem the year before as well! I hear the new beds are comfy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter