Pop Century Room Renovations

Yes, as of the end of last month ALL rooms are refurbished. The second post in the tread has a lot of Renovation information if you’re looking for more.
That's good news. We were last there in December and 80's buildings were complete, they were working on the 70's.

Just youtubed a new room. Yes it seems we got some unique room. Bed in video was also much higher. Thnks for clarifying.

We have stayed in two refurbbed rooms at Pop. The first time we got the same type room you had. I hated the bathroom set up and lack of storage. I assumed all the rooms were this way but one night as we walked through the 70's section we could see into rooms that were almost done and I could see they were different. We thankfully got the regular type room a few months later and loved it. If I get another one of those rooms like we had the first time when we go next week, I will ask to be moved!

We have stayed in two refurbbed rooms at Pop. The first time we got the same type room you had. I hated the bathroom set up and lack of storage. I assumed all the rooms were this way but one night as we walked through the 70's section we could see into rooms that were almost done and I could see they were different. We thankfully got the regular type room a few months later and loved it. If I get another one of those rooms like we had the first time when we go next week, I will ask to be moved!
Agree. The more I think about it, that „unique“ room sucked. We were there only one night. But for a family if 4, on a longer stay would be unmanagable with lack of storge space and the lack of a separate sink area. I would request to change even if it‘s a downgrade.

Agree. The more I think about it, that „unique“ room sucked. We were there only one night. But for a family if 4, on a longer stay would be unmanagable with lack of storge space and the lack of a separate sink area. I would request to change even if it‘s a downgrade.
Please be cautious with your wording. Saying they 'sucked' is harsh!

These rooms are accessibility rooms and not designed for you. They are designed for people with mobility challenges and are designed in a way to make their stay at Pop Century more enjoyable. I for one am thankful that Disney does so much to meet the needs of so many different people.

Just because a room may not meet your needs does not mean that it isn't perfect for someone else.

Please be cautious with your wording. Saying they 'sucked' is harsh!

These rooms are accessibility rooms and not designed for you. They are designed for people with mobility challenges and are designed in a way to make their stay at Pop Century more enjoyable. I for one am thankful that Disney does so much to meet the needs of so many different people.

Just because a room may not meet your needs does not mean that it isn't perfect for someone else.
My apologizes for being insensitive. To reword: This room is not fitting for a family of 4, with no special needs. Though I am curious how these rooms are named and for what catagory of special needs these are named???
They are not standard handicapped rooms. No bars for the toilet, sink normal height and tub/ shower was not roll in. So I can‘t see a bath made wheelchair accessable without those.

I am wondering what special need benefit this offers?

Does anyone know if there is an outlet under the window? I'd like to put up Christmas lights. Thanks.

Friends are at Pop now. There isn’t a plug under the windows. The closest outlet is in the coffee station so an extension cord or battery operated lights would be needed.

To my knowledge there has never been outlets under the window, you've always needed extension cord to "decorate the window space" with lights ..... and I think it is on purpose to discourage the lights. Curtains, cheap lights, could be a fire problem .... We've have decorated often but never used lights.

I mean that is the perfect spot to recharge and ECV, you'd think it would be there but it's not ... :confused3

Though I am curious how these rooms are named and for what catagory of special needs these are named??
I think they're the Florida Rooms that sometimes come up as an option when you search for Value rooms. They meet Florida's specific legal requirements, but not the normally expected ones.

Interesting.

I’ll look forward to hearing your comparison if you get a refurbished room. What percentage of rooms at ASMo have been refurbished?

I had to wait to check in but I did get a refurbished room. Here are my thought on the Movies room.

The closet rod does not extend out, probably too many hit bent/broke at a POP. Only a rain shower head instead of both. (Here I have a tub-At POP I had a shower only so not sure if that makes a difference.) It seems to have more room for the chairs on the wall opposite the Murphy. I prefer the artwork above the beds at Movies. Same for the window drape. I also like the ladder style coffee station cabinet at Movies (at least in my room) Opens up the room. And lastly I like the lights better by the bed. Flatter square outlines instead of two ball shaped bulbs.
To me, the mattress felt the exact same. I liked it and slept well, but still am not going to run out to get one.

Just got back from quick long weekend trip to POP. Had a free room aka my DS had a room, and allowed other DS and I to crash his trip for FREE. It was short, mostly park trip and I never saw gondola stuff but ....

- Out in the main parking lot, I saw on arrival to meet DS, the end closest to entrance is all "fenced" off with trailer, pods and things I couldn't see well (dark) and lots of signs that were basically Pardon Our Dust While We .... Couldn't tell by looking what they were but I never saw them there during the regular renovation. I am HOPING, FINGER CROSSING, pinning good voodoo dolls that POP will finally get it's long overdue renovation of the food court. While it seems early as I wouldn't think it would start until after holidays .......... can't blame me for hoping.

- Room Check ..... Saturday we all left early and after lunch sometime DS2 headed back (DS1 and I were at Epcot). He walked in to a dirty room and no sooner sat the phone rang. They asked if they could send someone for a security check. Seriously? at the same moment he walked in. So yes more proof they are watching those MBs to know when/if you are in room. There was no housekeeping in sight. He said fine send them over, he planned to sit there and watch their every move. Well about 10 minutes later a housekeeper shows up and says she'll clean room. He was aggravated since he had to wait through all this to shower and relax.

- Room itself ........ floor dirty but that is no surprise as it's been the case every time. Chairs were very beat up and wood/stain chipped out along both sides of both chairs. Had a letter from resort manager for us to contact him with issues ... blah blah blah. Housekeeping was very good, best I've had in awhile.

- Food Court ...... seriously want a shock collar to stop me. The LINES were just terrible and we were not there during a busy time. Food took forever, and even though cooked fresh, didn't taste it. Maybe a refurb and less lines could help if it distributes CMs to be more productive, I don't know.

- Bus service was very good, no issues other than the usual of me not calculating correctly, bus running out of seats and DS1 standing. He is very obviously disabled but all but one guest let him sway in the wind.

- Coke machine ate my money. o_O

- Best story I got is I was in room and heard a LOUD CRASH on outside wall of room. I figured some of DS2 kids (he's a coach and there with his team). He comes through door laughing so hard. He and another coach were walking back from food court behind an ECV. The woman on it was drunk, she was driving with her feet up on handles, I mean it her feet were driving ... because she was holding her phone in air blasting mariachi type music while she waved her other hand and danced in her seat. Well ........ she hit then drove up the wall. Fortunately it dropped upright and didn't rollover. I am pretty sure that drinking and driving an ECV is not allowed and certainly not driving with your feet while you rock out.

:drinking1:drive::dancer::drinking1

Last edited:
Just wanted to share my recent experience here after the room renovations. I've kept up with this thread since I booked earlier this year January. I was a little nervous hearing others descriptions of the rooms saying that they felt it was sterile and had lost a lot of its Disney charm. Pop has always been my favorite value resort so hearing this had me a little sad.

We stayed there last week and upon entering the room I though it looked ok. Seemed a little smaller than the old rooms for some reason, very clean and still had a few little Disney touches to it.

Positive - The bed was SO comfortable! The shower was awesome. Wasn't sure about the sliding glass doors at first but they were fine. Lots of storage/counter space in the bathroom was very nice.

Negative - The room is very noisy, something tells me they didn't really account for the noise factor when taking out the carpets. Lack of outlets near the window. I like to decorate for Halloween or Christmas when I get to go during that time of the year, we had to unplug the fridge and move the storage area to get the extension chord I brought to reach. Lack of 2 beds, I've always put my stuff on the extra bed and used the table to get ready. This time I had to use the table for both and it was kind of a big mess all the time.

Over all I really liked the room and would definitely stay there again. I'm hoping for an update to the dining area there soon (fingers crossed that it will have options good as Art of Animations)!

Lack of outlets near the window.
Likely because as far as the (any) property is concerned, there is no actual need for outlets near the window. Possibly in part these weren't added to reduce the likelihood of people decorating windows. Possibly because adding the necessary wiring and outlets were seen as an unnecessary expense. In the future, bring a power strip.
This time I had to use the table for both
What about the dresser? Or the clothes rod?

Likely because as far as the (any) property is concerned, there is no actual need for outlets near the window. Possibly in part these weren't added to reduce the likelihood of people decorating windows. Possibly because adding the necessary wiring and outlets were seen as an unnecessary expense. In the future, bring a power strip.

What about the dresser? Or the clothes rod?

I understand their reasoning for not putting the outlets there. I was just saying that it did mess with my plan to decorate and I almost didn't bother until my boyfriend moved the cubby and unplugged the fridge to make it work for me.

My clothes were in the dresser and I'm not sure exactly what you mean by clothes rod but I used the closet area with hangers provided to hang my halloween costume. Those areas are not the place for the items I was talking, about like my park bag that I grab things out of before bed and quickly throw things in in the morning before leaving, as well as my make up, which because I need glasses to see I need a place that I can sit and get close to a mirror to do. They use to have a mirror in the common area of these rooms as well and that was taken away with this remodel. Also I felt that there was a lot less lighting than there use to be.

My clothes were in the dresser and I'm not sure exactly what you mean by clothes rod but I used the closet area with hangers provided to hang my halloween costume. Those areas are not the place for the items I was talking, about like my park bag that I grab things out of before bed and quickly throw things in in the morning before leaving, as well as my make up, which because I need glasses to see I need a place that I can sit and get close to a mirror to do. They use to have a mirror in the common area of these rooms as well and that was taken away with this remodel. Also I felt that there was a lot less lighting than there use to be.
The piece on the end of the closet area telescopes out towards the vanity to create more of a clothes hanging area. Unfortunately I have yet to stay in a room that has that piece working. Did you find all of the lights? My daughter and I both feel like with all of them on, it’s too much (artificial) light in the room. We always keep a few lights off, but then I feel like you described, less light than I’m accustomed to in those rooms.

is it possible to request a room with just the shower and no tub?

Bill
Yes. I did that for my last trip.

I did not receive the room ready email, so I went to the front desk to check in. There was a hold up with the original room assigned to me, and I told the front desk my only request was a shower only room, and I would be willing to take any one available. I got a room right away, with only the shower. I do not know if the original room was shower only, or why there was an issue with it not being ready.

I plan to make the same request for my trip in December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts