Pop Century Room Renovations

I also travel with my (adult) daughter and have long stays 10-14 days. We've only stayed at Pop twice, using it for arrival night before going to deluxe resort next day. Also not commando touring. This Nov we are staying all 10 nights at Pop. I have the same concerns about room, lack of stand alone table, and dealing with Murphy bed.

I don't much like the look of the room either, all white walls, looks like a dorm room. And new fridge with glass door really cuts down on storage space inside fridge, not having the racks for drinks on inside of door. Only thing I'm happy about is the possibility of a coffee maker in room.

They totally nailed the "hospital room" look! :thumbsup2

We should be getting the first batch of photos for the renovated rooms in the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing them and will have the popcorn ready, for what I'm sure will be some interesting discussions/disagreements

While I agree with some of the fears/complaints about the lack of a stand alone table, which by the way we don't know if it will be the case, I really feel like this redesign will be a big improvement to what the rooms currently are. I also agree that some more color and personality added to the rooms would help. If these are the new room designs, I do like the additions of a queen sized bed a Murphy bed, alittle kitchenette like cabinet with a coffee maker, and the sliding bar room door. Hopefully the kitchenette area has a power outlet because I could se that area working out nicely to charge all of my electronics.

Also, am I missing something? I don't remember seeing any pictures of a fridge with a glass door? Actually I don't see any photos of a fridge at all.

We're booked at the POP in June and I hope we end up in a new room. We're have 5 in our group, so we had to book two, hopefully connected rooms. I get my own room which my brother and sister in law will hang out in if/when my nieces are sleeping, so I think the new layout would work great for us.

We should be getting the first batch of photos for the renovated rooms in the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing them and will have the popcorn ready, for what I'm sure will be some interesting discussions/disagreements

While I agree with some of the fears/complaints about the lack of a stand alone table, which by the way we don't know if it will be the case, I really feel like this redesign will be a big improvement to what the rooms currently are. I also agree that some more color and personality added to the rooms would help. If these are the new room designs, I do like the additions of a queen sized bed a Murphy bed, alittle kitchenette like cabinet with a coffee maker, and the sliding bar room door. Hopefully the kitchenette area has a power outlet because I could se that area working out nicely to charge all of my electronics.

Also, am I missing something? I don't remember seeing any pictures of a fridge with a glass door? Actually I don't see any photos of a fridge at all.

We're booked at the POP in June and I hope we end up in a new room. We're have 5 in our group, so we had to book two, hopefully connected rooms. I get my own room which my brother and sister in law will hang out in if/when my nieces are sleeping, so I think the new layout would work great for us.
I can't remember which batch of new room pics I saw fridge in, but that's what was shown. They had pic of cabinet door open with view of fridge. But maybe that type won't be in new rooms. Guess we won't know until we see the real room photos. I just hope there's coffee!!!

I can't remember which batch of new room pics I saw fridge in, but that's what was shown. They had pic of cabinet door open with view of fridge. But maybe that type won't be in new rooms. Guess we won't know until we see the real room photos. I just hope there's coffee!!!

Interesting! I guess I've only seen the 3 that were posted above.

I think a large number will hate the rooms and large number will love the rooms. I seriously doubt there will be two tables in the room. It really seems like Disney is seeing a large number of parties of 2 adults and think this room will be a huge plus for those groups (queen bed) but the murphy bed allows it to function for families too.

I don't think any photos were leaked as to the outright fridge, the "dresser/tv" setup across from the bed or the bathroom and "door". I think those are all assumptions but at least we won't have to wait too long to find out. We'll be there in a couple weeks and I for sure will go exploring.

It appears POP will still have the mini fridges in bottom of the "kitchenette" cabinet in the pictures, behind the larger door.

I think the fridge it is being confused with is the Coronado fridge since those rooms are getting a distinct business guest look. I saw this recent guest that stayed in new room posted it on facebook.

17203033_10212361561299881_7186760572985311660_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think a large number will hate the rooms and large number will love the rooms. I seriously doubt there will be two tables in the room. It really seems like Disney is seeing a large number of parties of 2 adults and think this room will be a huge plus for those groups but the murphy bed allows it to function for families too.

I agree, I can see both sides of the argument. Once pictures of completed room renovations start coming out that should alleviate much or the anxiety for people, or elivate it, lol. While the Murphy bed is a definite issue for some, I think the table is the biggest issue. Will be interesting, what solution, if any, they come up with.

Another issue is I think too many people are assuming that this will be the only room design. It very well could be, but I'd think there would be a decent chance that they could also have rooms that are in the more traditional 2 double bed layout. This would allow them more flexibility depending on the size of a guests party. If you are correct that they are seeing a large numbers of 2 adult parties than the Murphy bed design would work great for them and if you have a more traditional family of three or four, than a double design would work better.

Because we booked 2 room for 5 people, the ideal arrangement for us would be one of each, lol.

I don't think any photos were leaked as to the outright fridge, the "dresser/tv" setup across from the bed or the bathroom and "door". I think those are all assumptions but at least we won't have to wait too long to find out. We'll be there in a couple weeks and I for sure will go exploring.

It appears POP will still have the mini fridges in bottom of the cabinet in the pictures behind the larger door.

Thanks for posting the photo. I agree, the mini fridge would probably go behind the larger door. The only thing that throws me is the fact the handle is located centered at the top. If it's a door to get access to the fridge, or better yet the door to the fridge, the handle should be located on the left or right side.

ps I'm more excited about seeing the Keurig coffee make in the picture! I'm packing up some k-cups right now

Last edited:
I agree, I can see both sides of the argument. Once pictures of completed room renovations start coming out that should alleviate much or the anxiety for people, or elivate it, lol. While the Murphy bed is a definite issue for some, I think the table is the biggest issue. Will be interesting, what solution, if any, they come up with.

Another issue is I think too many people are assuming that this will be the only room design. It very well could be, but I'd think there would be a decent chance that they could also have rooms that are in the more traditional 2 double bed layout. This would allow them more flexibility depending on the size of a guests party. If you are correct that they are seeing a large numbers of 2 adult parties than the Murphy bed design would work great for them and if you have a more traditional family of three or four, than a double design would work better.

Because we booked 2 room for 5 people, the ideal arrangement for us would be one of each, lol.

Thanks for posting the photo. I agree, the mini fridge would probably go behind the larger door. The only thing that throws me is the fact the handle is located centered at the top. If it's a door to get access to the fridge, or better yet the door to the fridge, the handle should be located on the left or right side.

I think there are lots of us that are hoping there will be a variety of rooms. I assume there will still be King HA rooms so maybe a few regular King rooms OR offering up Queens is their answer to eliminate Kings at the values. I could see the rooms going to bookable categories of QU/MURPHY and QU/QU and maybe even KING with a higher price tag. I think we'll need a building done to know the approx percentages if there is variety.

I noticed the strange position of the handle but in reality what would they put in there that would include a fold down door? I think maybe it was just a bad design or a wrong door install .... I mean it is just test room pictures, we don't know what the final product will be.

I would like to know why people are assuming that a party of two adults would enjoy this layout? I am going with my best friend and the new proposed layout wouldn't work at all for us. Party of two adults and I will switch resorts if that is our only option at POP

I think a large number will hate the rooms and large number will love the rooms. I seriously doubt there will be two tables in the room. It really seems like Disney is seeing a large number of parties of 2 adults and think this room will be a huge plus for those groups (queen bed) but the murphy bed allows it to function for families too.

It appears POP will still have the mini fridges in bottom of the "kitchenette" cabinet in the pictures, behind the larger door.

I think the fridge it is being confused with is the Coronado fridge since those rooms are getting a distinct business guest look. I saw this recent guest that stayed in new room posted it on facebook.

17203033_10212361561299881_7186760572985311660_n.jpg
It's possible I did confuse fridge with new CSR room.

I would like to know why people are assuming that a party of two adults would enjoy this layout? I am going with my best friend and the new proposed layout wouldn't work at all for us. Party of two adults and I will switch resorts if that is our only option at POP

Your right, I can see why two adults, like in your situation as two best friends might not enjoy this layout. In general though, I do think couple, dating or married, would be more likely to enjoy this layout. Of course not it all situations, but just in general.

If you don't mind me asking though, why wouldn't this design work for you? Is a separate table that important to you? Is it the Murphy bed? I've never stayed at AoA, but I've read a number of people who said that these Murphy beds are comfortable and very easy to take down and put up.

Your right, I can see why two adults, like in your situation as two best friends might not enjoy this layout. In general though, I do think couple, dating or married, would be more likely to enjoy this layout. Of course not it all situations, but just in general.

If you don't mind me asking though, why wouldn't this design work for you? Is a separate table that important to you? Is it the Murphy bed? I've never stayed at AoA, but I've read a number of people who said that these Murphy beds are comfortable and very easy to take down and put up.
It is basically the use of the table. If the person who gets the short straw and has to sleep on the smaller bed is asleep while the other wants to eat or use a computer or write anything down they are forced to do it in bed. I don't know about you but while making exceptions for some things eating in bed is not something I enjoy doing. So basically unless we keep the exact same schedule we lose the use of a table and at the very least a surface to eat on.

Probably for the same reason people are assuming this will be the only room configuration option once completed; we don't have all the details yet.

We will be at Pop for Memorial Weekend. I think my little girls will love the novelty of a Murphy bed. We have a preferred booked, but it doesn't look like the renos on those rooms should be complete. What should I put in for requests for the best chance to get a refurbed room? Or should wI just go for upper floor lake view and forget about new rooms?

We will be at Pop for Memorial Weekend. I think my little girls will love the novelty of a Murphy bed. We have a preferred booked, but it doesn't look like the renos on those rooms should be complete. What should I put in for requests for the best chance to get a refurbed room? Or should wI just go for upper floor lake view and forget about new rooms?

If you want a refurbed room I would make that your only request.

I should clarify a party of two aka couple. Full beds seem to be a big issue and the hotel has very few King beds. If a couple doesn't want to pay moderate rates and doesn't want a full bed ... they might be looking "offsite". Your situation is just like mine, I travel with adult DS (who is handicapped) often. He usually goes to bed early and I work on my computer at table. To do that in this room, he would get the queen bed and I will get the full murphy bed, kinda stinks. And in your situation of equal travelers, do you draw straws to see who gets a fold out full?

I think most of us hope that is just one plan and there will be others - but give that seems to have been the only test room, many are wondering what the final outcome will be. But we'll know soon enough.

Probably for the same reason people are assuming this will be the only room configuration option once completed; we don't have all the details yet.
Well that is why I stated IF because I won't switch until I know

I would imagine that it's partially the table, but also there would be the fact that no matter now comfortable the murphy bed is (debatable IMHO), it is a smaller bed than the other one. So someone is getting the short end of the stick there. As long as both parties are ok with it, no problem. But I would think it was something that most people would want to know as I'd think the person in the real bed should probably pay slightly more than half. But that's just me.

I typically travel solo, so the bed thing is moot for me. I just think the design - at least according to the pictures - is ugly and looks like a hospital or rehab.

We are going in June, too. Hoping to stay in the 70s (have a preferred pool view booked with the QS summer meal deal at the moment, but hoping to change if new discounts come out).

So I don't think we will have a refurbed room. I wouldn't mind. I like it and won't miss the table. We rarely actually use the table for anything more than to throw packages, papers and whatnot on it. We can use the beverage center as our catch-all (especially since we will likely move the coffee (BLECH!) maker to the top shelf since we wouldn't use it.

Hurry up June!

We are going in June, too. Hoping to stay in the 70s (have a preferred pool view booked with the QS summer meal deal at the moment, but hoping to change if new discounts come out).

So I don't think we will have a refurbed room. I wouldn't mind. I like it and won't miss the table. We rarely actually use the table for anything more than to throw packages, papers and whatnot on it. We can use the beverage center as our catch-all (especially since we will likely move the coffee (BLECH!) maker to the top shelf since we wouldn't use it.

Hurry up June!

There are no preferred pool view rooms in the 70's. They are only in the 60's. Or is that why you want to change...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter