Pop Up Rental

soccerbabies

Mouseketeer
Hi All!
I have probably missed it while searching, but can anyone give me some info on renting Pop Up campers at the Fort?
We are beginning our vacay planning for 2021.
TIA

There used to be a vendor who rented true popups (canvas bunk ends, crank up roof, etc.) but they no longer offer that service at the Fort.

The closest you can get are any of the other rental trailer vendors who offer travel trailers and fifth wheels who might have a hybrid on offer (I think I've seen those on various websites).

By the time you rent a camper (even if it was a popup) and pay for the campsite, you're pretty close to a Value room price with parking. If you want to soak up the Fort ambiance, stay Value (or off-site) and come over to the Fort for an afternoon, maybe rent a golf cart, get a take out dinner, see the horses, attend the Chip&Dale movie and singalong.

You prolly won't save money by doing it this way. About the only time it makes financial sense is if you can cook/eat several meals at your campsite to save dining expenses. We stay at the Fort because going on vacation and taking our camper is a lifestyle choice. It's like visiting WDW and sleeping at "home". And it's pretty peaceful, quiet, and pleasant. So if it has to be Fort Wilderness in a campsite even with a rental trailer, it's do-able.

But no pop-up rentals anymore that I'm aware of.

Bama Ed

PS - and I own a pop-up.

Thank you! we have tent camped twice at the Fort and LOVE the resort. We are looking to fly instead of drive and looking at options.

I have been reading disboards for years and am coming out of lurking to make my first post😁. I don’t know of any pop-up rentals, but just wanted to say that we have been coming to WDW for 19 years and our favorite trip was two years ago when we flew in with our camping gear and stayed at the fort for 5 nights. Loved it so much we are doing it again for 7 nights in January 2021. Depending on your family, tent camping may still be completely possible and enjoyable even when flying!
To make this happen our family left behind our big, heavy family tent and instead took two small, lightweight tents. (One for our teen son and one for dh and I). The tents, complete with rain fly, ground cover, stakes, mallet and backpacking-type sleeping pads went in one rolling duffle). Our clothing, toiletries, towel, personal lanterns, and top quilts in stuff sacks (backpacking top quilts are like sleeping bags but lighter) went in our personal bags. We had four bags for three people and we did not put the Disney tags on them so we could claim them at the Orlando airport and carry them on the magical express. We rented a golf cart at check-in for the length of stay so getting our bags to the site was no problem. Can’t wait for our January trip to do it all over again!

Disclaimer: it was pouring rain the entire day we needed to pack up on our last trip. This was not ideal, but still totally doable, but my son is a teen and a scout and so we took down camp super fast and then went to the comfort stations for a hot shower. If I had small children, breaking camp in the pouring rain would be no fun and I wouldn’t be eager to risk flying in again not knowing what the weather will be so many months in advance.

Dindi,

Just want to say: :welcome: to the DIS Camping Board :disrocks: .

We were all lurkers once.

Hope to see you posting more 'round the Camping Board.

Bama Ed

I have been reading disboards for years and am coming out of lurking to make my first post😁. I don’t know of any pop-up rentals, but just wanted to say that we have been coming to WDW for 19 years and our favorite trip was two years ago when we flew in with our camping gear and stayed at the fort for 5 nights. Loved it so much we are doing it again for 7 nights in January 2021. Depending on your family, tent camping may still be completely possible and enjoyable even when flying!
To make this happen our family left behind our big, heavy family tent and instead took two small, lightweight tents. (One for our teen son and one for dh and I). The tents, complete with rain fly, ground cover, stakes, mallet and backpacking-type sleeping pads went in one rolling duffle). Our clothing, toiletries, towel, personal lanterns, and top quilts in stuff sacks (backpacking top quilts are like sleeping bags but lighter) went in our personal bags. We had four bags for three people and we did not put the Disney tags on them so we could claim them at the Orlando airport and carry them on the magical express. We rented a golf cart at check-in for the length of stay so getting our bags to the site was no problem. Can’t wait for our January trip to do it all over again!

Disclaimer: it was pouring rain the entire day we needed to pack up on our last trip. This was not ideal, but still totally doable, but my son is a teen and a scout and so we took down camp super fast and then went to the comfort stations for a hot shower. If I had small children, breaking camp in the pouring rain would be no fun and I wouldn’t be eager to risk flying in again not knowing what the weather will be so many months in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!