POP v Coronado

Deeva007

Earning My Ears
Hi!! We are headed back to Disney in August ( DH and our 4 and 6 year old girls) for 4 days. Trying to decide between Pop and Coronado. The price diff is negligible. Coronado certainly seems nicer but I’m worried about transportation to the parks from Coronado. Does anyone have experience between Pop and Coronado for trsnportation .

We Won’t be spending a ton of time at the hotel but hopefully will spend some time at the pool/ resort at night if we can. But transportation may be a bigger factor or equally as big.

Thanks!!

We haven’t been to POP yet, our first time is next week! But our last trip was CSR and we decided not to go back. It is huge HUGE for one. Some (all?) buildings do not have elevators so that’s fun with kids and strollers. The bus was terrible. It stopped several times within the resort and it was always full before it got to our stop. We started walking to an earlier stop just so we could get on (not a short walk, did I mention it is HUGE?) The rooms were nice but nothing amazing, and not that big.

I do know POP has one bus stop and the layout makes much more sense, so it isn’t such a far walk everywhere as CSR.

Also I think CSR is the one that everyone is complaining is a major construction zone right now. Like changing hotels not happy mess. I would double check that, not sure of your dates!

We just stayed at CSR and the buses were not fun. 1 night we had to wait over 45 min for a bus to our hotel on the way back from AK. And it seemed like our buses would only come once every 30-40 while other hotels were more frequent. Our building had an elevator but the resort is very spread out. I know other people have said construction. The construction didn't bother us but we didn't get a newly refurbished room and it was dated. Other people said they like Riverside or Port Orleans better. Haven't been to POP so I can't say anything good or bad. You can always do an online tour via YouTube. We're going to stay offsite in Sept. Only going to Disney for MNSSHP one night and then going to Universal for 2 days and Legoland for 1. It didn't make sense to stay on site. We are renting a 3 bdrm condo for 10 days for $800. This will be our first experience staying off site. Not sure how much we'll like not being immersed in Disney but then again we're not going for just the Mouse this time.

Of the two, I've only stayed at POP, but I did love it! The decor was really fun, and I had no complaints at all with the bus service.

We've stayed at Pop and CSR. I definitely prefer the one bus stop at Pop to the multiple stops at CSR.
CSR was way too big for us.

I should also say, our family has stayed at POP and really liked it. They were the ones who chose it over CSR for this trip. We are going with the flow. They have done both and didn’t want to go back to CSR

CSR has convention services/facilities and I think it is sort of geared towards catering to those people as well.

I haven't stayed at POP, but we stayed at CSR last month and enjoyed our stay. We had a car so didn't use the buses. The pool was awesome! I LOVED the water slide! It was long and gentle, so perfect for your kids if they like water slides and don't mind being dumped into the pool at the end (my 3 year old liked the slide until it dumped her into the pool). There's a really fun playground next to the pool, too, that my kids enjoyed. Our building had an elevator. The construction wasn't that bothersome for us. You notice it when you first drive into the resort, but once we turned right to head to our building we didn't see it anymore. We thought the resort was beautiful. I think either hotel would probably be fine based on what I've read about POP.

We have stayed at Pop Century three times in the past three years and Coronado once (last year in December). We like both resorts for different reasons but chose Coronado for our next trip.

We do like that Pop has just one bus stop, and you line up so that it's fair as far as who was waiting first for each park bus. It's not all that spread out - nothing is too terribly far from the main building and bus stop. We spent a lot of time in the parks on those trips, so it financially made sense to stay at a Value resort when we wouldn't be in the hotel room much. Pools were very basic. We weren't going in with high expectations. It was fine. I think kids would be amused by all of the "larger than life" statues around the resort.

As adult travelers without children, we really liked Coronado. We didn't experience bus issues. It's worth it to do the research when it comes to buses, as Coronado's bussing is also an internal transportation system. The buses that go to the parks make stops in this order: Bus stop #2 (Casitas), #3 (Ranchos), #4 (Cabanas), and finally #1 (El Centro/main building). The buses to Disney Springs go in the opposite order. Essentially, if you are looking to travel to a different part of the resort, hop on just about any bus and it will take you there. You don't have to walk the entire resort. We didn't mind things being spread out because of that. The one thing I would say about the buses, though, is that the park buses would sometimes be full by the time they reached Cabanas (stop #3). I felt bad for people waiting there, as they often had to stand on the bus or wait for the next one. The main pool at Coronado (Lost City of Cibola pool) is amazing! It was cold when we went in December, so we are psyched to try it out when the weather is better for swimming. We chose Coronado for this trip because we are spending much more time at the resort (skipping the parks this time) and celebrating our fifth wedding anniversary. Coronado is just a nicer resort, hands-down. People refer to it as "Poly-lite" on the DisBoards (meaning a mini version of the Polynesian Resort). I think kids would like it at Coronado (especially the pool area), but it's definitely a resort that caters more to adults. Another thing to know about Coronado is that there are conventions there (for a schedule, join the Coronado Springs Buzz Facebook group), but I see this as a positive for the most part. Most conventioneers are not excited about going to the parks and will not crowd the buses or be at the pool during the daytime hours. We couldn't believe how close in price Coronado and Pop were for our August stay. I thought it might have been a mistake in our favor! :-)

Both Pop and Coronado are under construction. Both Pop and Coronado have some older rooms and some refurbished rooms. I haven't stayed in a refurbished room at Pop, but I've seen photos and they look nice! We did stay in a refurbished room on our last trip at Coronado, and we were very impressed. As a final note, I wouldn't put a ton of stock into reports about busing. As you research more on the DisBoards, you'll find that some people think busing at one hotel is great, and others will tell you it is horrible! It really depends, and you shouldn't pick a resort based on that, in my opinion.

FYI, the pool at CSR is scheduled to be closed from appx Sept 4 through at least the end of the year or longer. If that’s your main reason for choosing it be aware.

We just got back from POP in May. It was our first trip to WDW, so I have no other resorts to compare it to.

The bus transportation in the morning was not bad at all. Especially if you're trying to get to the parks early. Transportation at night was rough. The buses were so crowded. We had our two year old with us and stopped taking the stroller to the parks because it was too cramped on the buses. I had to stand on the bus at night because the buses were so crowded. I do remember waiting longer than 20-30 minutes for a bus at night also, multiple times.

We were able to use the Minnie Vans to help us get to other resorts so we could have meals there. However, it was nearly impossible to get a Minnie van at night. Taking a regular Lyft ride may have been quicker, but we had to use the Minnie van because we needed the car seat.

Also, we were in the 90s building and it's a pretty far walk after you've been walking in the parks all day and tired. We were there during the crazy rain and it made the walk seem further.

Our family will not be staying at POP solely based on our experience with transportation. It would have been nicer if we had another mode of transportation to rely on like a boat or something when the buses were too crowded.

Have stayed at both and like both for different reasons
@kbmartin really summed it up very well!
My 12 year old son liked Coronado a lot- and we stayed in unrefurbished room in August by quiet pool and right next to construction- no issues at all but the construction wasn't as advanced as it is now. Often took a car around though, so experience going to parks on the bus was limited. Jan was adults only trip (ranchos refurbed room) and they are very nice. We were right next to the main pool but too cold to swim. No issues with buses* then and we were there over New Years.
Pop in October stay down in 80's section. Buses were fine* and didn't feel that was a terribly long walk either, and I liked the option of AoA food court. Refurbed room is nice, but small especially with Murphy bed down.

*For some reason I have terrible luck with AK buses trying to get back to a resort- I've always waited at minimum 25 minutes, usually quite a bit more. Didn't matter the resort, time of day and didn't happen consistently with other parks, just AK

We have stayed at both multiple times and before our last trip we would have said CSR hands down. We have always paid quite a bit more for CSR than POp but that’s expected for the catagory difference. We have always had much better bus service at CSR and just really enjoyed the quieter resort and beautiful pool. We also have enjoyed POP. It is fun, loud and totally Disney. We have done lots of trips here and been happy. Last trip was a bout a year ago at CRS resort. Bus service to the parks was great..... never waited long at all. Bus service back to ththe resort was horrible. It took forever to get back every. Single. Time! The constitution was just starting but it was a bit of a downer. We really do prefer a moderate but we are going to look elsewhere this time. Oh, double beds vs queen beds is almost a deal breaker for us in values VS moderate but I think some of the upgrades are making this less of an issue.

I've stayed at both, multiple times. The buses are the buses are the buses, you are going to have good and bad service no matter where you stay. Yes, Pop only has one stop and Coronado has multiple. That is the only difference. Well, and Pop's bus stop isn't under cover and has actual lines to que up in. Coronado has covered stops and you just line up and get on the bus when it arrives. If they prices are the same, I'd go with Coronado. It's a beautiful resort, lots more food locations and the pool is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter