POR Alligator Bayou vs. Magnolia Bend - Which do you prefer and why?

JennaDeeDooDah

My oh my what a wonderful day!
Title says it all. I've seen many posts on here by people who are really hoping to be in Alligator Bayou and posts by people who are really hoping to be in Magnolia Bend. I've only ever stayed in the Royal Guest Rooms but have a reservation coming up in a room with a king bed. So, I could end up in either section. Just wondering what it is you love about each area.

Thank you for asking this! I have an upcoming stay for a garden view room for myself and DD13. I've researched both on portorleans.org; I think I would be happy in either section but would also love to read others' opinions. :)

We stayed in Alligator Bayou because of the trundle bed, and we liked the whole place a lot more than we thought we would. It's quiet and the landscaping is lovely. I could stay in Magnolia Bend but I'd spend too much time rolling my eyes and doing my Scarlett O' Hara impression.

Loved my Bayou room; rustic feel and theme; lush landscaping.
I agree that "lush" is the best word to describe AB. It also feels quieter and more private.

The Mansion area is has formal gardens and is much more open.

I much prefer AB, but they are both nice. Just different. That's why some really like one and some really like the other.

Mansions have elevators to get to upper floors. mansions have a more 'formal' atmosphere. Royal rooms are all located in two of the mansion buildings.

AB rooms are rustic and set in lush foliage for a more intimate, country atmosphere. AB preferred rooms are very convenient to dining and boat dock areas. Some standard AB rooms can be distant from the main areas. Some AB rooms sleep 5, with a fold down small bed for the fifth guest.

We love both areas, with a slight preference for AB preferred rooms on the ground floor. Second choice would be RR in Oak Manor or standard rooms in Magnolia Terrace for the convenient locations.

Thanks for asking! This sounds like a trick question to many who have been on this resort!

As we're traveling on 2 with a “king bed” reservation, we know that we might end up either in AB or in a mansion. I think my wife and I have diverging opinions on what would be our dream location, since this is our first time on this resort we've been reading a lot of reviews to try to get the pros and the cons of both areas!

TIA to everyone who can share their own view about this question!

Never stayed in AB but have stayed in Magnolia and loved it. I've seen pictures of the rooms at AB and they are a little too rustic for me but I do like the grounds on that side. I like the formal grounds and the quietness of Magnolia, but then I'm a Georgia girl.

We've stayed in both but we prefer AB. The buildings are smaller and more intimate. Landscaping is lush and beautiful.

We have stayed in both and prefer Magnolia's landscaped beautiful lawns, it was closer to everything and the rooms were quieter. We were on an upper floor. AB was too rustic for us. Green bayou foilage, more private but we were further away. We also could hear guest during the night, but we were on the ground floor.
I would recommend preferred room and top floor..

:wizard: We stayed at POR a couple of weeks ago for our 6th visit. We love the Mansions. The whole feel of that area is more open and elegant. The quiet pools for the Mansions are large and relaxing. We have stayed in both regular and Royal Rooms, had garden and river view rooms. We love the feel of that part of the resort and enjoy walking along the river going to and from our room. We have never stayed in AB because it really doesn't appeal to us.

Stayed in AB because we needed the trundle. It was very quiet and serene. I think we were in building 14 which was very close to a bus depot.

This is so varied depending on who you ask. I love the AB atmosphere, my husband likes the Mansion feel better. I love shade, he likes sun, is another way I sum it up in my head. I'd rather walk on a meandering path, he'd rather walk down outdoor halls. Take a look at the pictures.

We have stayed in Royal rooms, standard magnolia and AB. We liked them all. All have pros and cons. AB i feel has a higher chance of having a room further away from the lobby/ food. As many say AB is very lush. We are not rustic types but loooved The theming and the rooms. I can see someone who lives more country like that this is nothing special but for us it gave us that feeling of southern Americana. Magnolia Bend is airy and more open for me the Decore was not as special or unique as alligator Bayou. The Royal rooms though are something different those were really nice. In my opinion you cannot go wrong unless you are already live in a log cabin then I can see alligator Bayou being nothing special. I did preferred the quiet pools more in Magnolia as it was more open and didn't have so much greenery around it. Cleaner and fresher feeling. Because of all the greenery in alligator Bayou the quiet pools seemed almost swamplike . Or maybe I was just paranoid that an alligator was gonna pop in the water with me lol.

:wizard: We stayed at POR a couple of weeks ago for our 6th visit. We love the Mansions. The whole feel of that area is more open and elegant. The quiet pools for the Mansions are large and relaxing. We have stayed in both regular and Royal Rooms, had garden and river view rooms. We love the feel of that part of the resort and enjoy walking along the river going to and from our room. We have never stayed in AB because it really doesn't appeal to us.

This would be my answer too! My fav buildings are Acadian House and magnolia Terrace, my request is a location close to Old Man Island foot bridge.
I also love seeing and hearing the horse drawn carriages going by.

I've stayed in both, I prefer AB when I bring my children, but love Magnolia Bend for myself and DH! Hard decision! I like to walk, so distance doesn't matter from the "Sassagoula Steamboat Company"

I prefer the Alligator Bayou area to the mansions because of the lush landscaping and the winding trails. It's a nice area to walk through.

However, I much prefer the room decor of the mansion section. I've stayed at POR twice and both times I've had a room in Acadian House and I've been happy with it.

The curious thing about POR is that almost every time I'm walking around, I see people who are lost in the Alligator Bayou section. :rotfl: The lush landscaping and winding trails must be a just a little too much, and the buildings look very much alike. There are differences between the exteriors of the 10s, 20s, and 30s series, but they're pretty subtle, especially between the 10s and 20s. The 30s have the brick columns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!