POR Riverside -- Royal Rooms -- which view?

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
Just about to book my rooms at POR. We want a royal room. Not sure if view (other than what you see out the window) matters? Is there a location thats better than the other? Any special requests I should make?

Just about to book my rooms at POR. We want a royal room. Not sure if view (other than what you see out the window) matters? Is there a location thats better than the other? Any special requests I should make?

The Royal Guest Rooms are exclusively in the Mansions which have very nicely manicured garden and fountain areas in the front of each building. The view doesn't really matter in general at POR because the window faces onto a walkway and who keeps their drapes open when people are constantly walking by? I think the view actually matters even less in the mansions because the mansions are set back so far from the water that you won't be able to see it anyway, and also because the mansions have elevators and more centrally-located stairs than the Alligator Bayou section so having a room on a certain side of a building won't dramatically decrease the walk to your room like it might in Alligator Bayou.

I think all Royal Guest Rooms are also in what was formerly a "preferred" section of rooms meaning buildings that are, relatively speaking, closest to the lobby and Riverside Mill food court. But again that's relative, so even those preferred rooms are too much of a hike for my mom who has bad knees. I'm not sure if there are many more choices to make aside from whether you'd like a higher or lower level floor. Maybe somebody who's recently done online check-in can clarify if there are other request check-boxes presently available...

I've stayed once in a Royal Guest Room and I found all the little princess touches to be a real treat. Also, I was visited by a frog while riding the boat to POR from Disney Springs (it landed on my head with no warning!) and that naturally lead to some relevant Prince Naveen jokes for the rest of the trip. :P In general though, I actually like Alligator Bayou better. The price difference can be substantial over several nights and, though some people hate the distance to some of the AB rooms, I find the long walks through tree-lined paths to be beautiful and relaxing, while the manicured nature of the areas nearer the mansions reminds me too much of suburbia.

My only other tip is be sure to hit up Port Orleans French Quarter one morning for coffee and beignets! And you can walk the path along the river if you're up for it, rather than taking the boat, which I've usually found to be devoid of people and totally beautiful and romantic. Life needs more kisses next to beautiful waterfronts.

I hope you end up very pleased with whatever you choose, and that you have a magical vacation! :)

I preferred the look of the courtyard and fountain at Parterre Place over Oak Manor. We had a room in the center of the building facing the river and it was pleasant to walk through the courtyard and along the river to the bridge to the main buildings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter