Port Canaveral questions

Shir Kahn

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we're not going on our next cruise until Spring Break of next year, but we are heading to WDW in July. During one of our days, we're going to the Kennedy Space Center for opening and we were hoping to go see one of the ships depart. I've looked at the Disney Cruise website and it looks like we're in luck, because it says that the Fantasy is doing their Sail Away Celebrations at 3:45pm on July 14th. My questions are, how accurate would this time be? Is there a place you'd recommend to watch from? Anything in the area you'd recommend while we're there? Thanks for any replies!

In Port Canaveral there's a number of restaurants along the harbor causeway that the ships use to depart, Fishlips is one that also had the Port Canaveral Webcam on it that lets you view the live stream of the ships sailing away, in addition at the end of the harbor entrance is Jetty Park that offers prime viewing spots to watch all the ships depart. Be aware though that the ships have a schedule to depart while the "sail away" party says it's at 3:45pm the ship may not actually push away from the pier and depart until 4:30pm or even later. So taking time to relax and enjoy the show is definitely a recommendation, pack a picnic or bring some food and drinks along to enjoy it all. Have a great time!

watch the webcam from time to time and start watching what time the Fantasy leaves. this will give you an idea of when she leaves on average. there are times when they are a little later and there are times she may leave early for 1 reason or another.

The ships usually leave port around 5:00 pm and sail down the canal. Any of the restaurants like Grill's, Fishlips, Rusty's will have excellent views of the ship as she comes down the channel. Plan to have dinner around 4:00-4:30 ish and hang around till sail away.

MJ

Hi all, we're not going on our next cruise until Spring Break of next year, but we are heading to WDW in July. During one of our days, we're going to the Kennedy Space Center for opening and we were hoping to go see one of the ships depart. I've looked at the Disney Cruise website and it looks like we're in luck, because it says that the Fantasy is doing their Sail Away Celebrations at 3:45pm on July 14th. My questions are, how accurate would this time be? Is there a place you'd recommend to watch from? Anything in the area you'd recommend while we're there? Thanks for any replies!

I'm surprised the website lists the sail away celebration as being at 3:45 because the ships (at least the ones out of PC) usually have their muster drill at 4:00 and the sailaway party at 4:30. The Fantasy actually sails sometime closer to 4:45.

If you decide to go to Fishlips to watch the ships sailing away, get there a little early or you might miss a table outside on the second floor. Also, my family LOVES their Lobster Bisque and Clam Chowder. Get the big bowl. Okay, we're not from the coast and we're not foodies, but I have never had better of either of these soups anywhere, including Boston.

I'm surprised the website lists the sail away celebration as being at 3:45 because the ships (at least the ones out of PC) usually have their muster drill at 4:00 and the sailaway party at 4:30. The Fantasy actually sails sometime closer to 4:45.

Are you viewing this from somewhere in the central time zone?

No. That is not the Sail Away Celebration time. That is All-Aboard.

Sail Away Celebration goes with the Special Events.

No. That is not the Sail Away Celebration time. That is All-Aboard.

Sail Away Celebration goes with the Special Events.

Yes, that's what I thought. I guess I should have just flatly stated that the OP was incorrectly posting the all aboard time as the sail away time instead of more gently trying to get them to recheck what they thought they read.

Yes, that's what I thought. I guess I should have just flatly stated that the OP was incorrectly posting the all aboard time as the sail away time instead of more gently trying to get them to recheck what they thought they read.
Lol, no need to do that gently, I don't mind if you tell me flat out! I did recheck the site and I see where I went wrong. I saw the words Sail Away Celebration on the left and 3:45 on the right, but right above the 3:45 in the column title, it says Guest Onboard. :p

Can you post the link? We’re going on our first Disney cruise next month, and this will get my kids even more excited than they already are...and me!!! Thanks!!
I always forget to watch - maybe because I'm usually at work - but it's also fun to watch your ship come into port at Nassau: http://portnassauwebcam.com

The simplest thing to do is look at the itinerary for the ships - that will give you an idea of what time the ship will be coming into the port. The Dream will be in Nassau tomorrow (Tuesday) morning with ashore time of 9:30 am. So you could start looking 30-45 minutes early.

What's really fun is if you leave the webcam up with the sound on and forget that it's on until Muster Drill starts sounding. ESPECIALLY when there is more than one ship in port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter