Port or starboard im confused

nikkyluvsmickey

DIS Veteran
We are staying on disney dream 8076 is that port or starboard? Will we be seeing castaway cay when we dock or is that the other side generally?

We are staying on disney dream 8076 is that port or starboard? Will we be seeing castaway cay when we dock or is that the other side generally?
That's port side. And should have view of the main part of CC when docked if I'm not mistaken. How I remember port vs. starboard: both "port" and "left" have four letters. Port side is the left side of the ship if you are facing forward.

That's port side. And should have view of the main part of CC when docked if I'm not mistaken. How I remember port vs. starboard: both "port" and "left" have four letters. Port side is the left side of the ship if you are facing forward.
By "main" do you mean the side that has the dock on it. If you are in 8076, you will see the Island just not the pretty side of it. You will be on the side where people get off the ship. If you want to face the pretty and good looking side (not that the other side looks bad) see if you can switch to the other side.

By "main" do you mean the side that has the dock on it. If you are in 8076, you will see the Island just not the pretty side of it. You will b eon the side where people get off the ship. If you want to face the pretty and good looking side (not that the other side looks bad) see if you can switch t the other side.

OTOH, some of us LOVE the natural side and find it prettier. It's all about your perspective.

The way to determine which side of the ship a particular cabin is on is to look at the 2nd digit of the cabin number. (OK, 3rd digit if its a 5 digit number.) If that digit is a 0 or a 1, its port side. If its a 5 or 6 its starboard.

You'll get a great view of the closed post office from your stateroom. Once in four times it has been open for us. Turn your postcards in to guest services and they will mail them for you. We like going to Cabana's, when docking, then you can get a wide angle view of the island. I believe all the DCL ships now dock aft end first...maybe for a better photo op of the characters on the rear, but, more realistically, for tide and storm safety concerns (one of their officers told me some time ago). Be sure your camera is charged that day...loads of characters, fun landmarks, crabs, an airplane, etc. to shoot. If you take your phone, don't do what I did with my Ipod. I put it in my swim trunks and went swimming. No amount of rice or prayers could revive it. Make sure all your photo equipment is protected from the water or, as I did, get an underwater camera.

Some shots from the port side...

998690_10151737459251321_1582468552_n.jpg

999055_10151737459356321_1822394696_n.jpg

10865882_10153017881056321_7025070519000493666_o.jpg

And best of all, if you have a verandah, you can wave as you pull away...
741319_10153017886486321_5517323387871617120_o.jpg

I believe all the DCL ships now dock aft end first...maybe for a better photo op of the characters on the rear, but, more realistically, for tide and storm safety concerns (one of their officers told me some time ago)

The ships pulled in bow-first when we traveled with DCL before, I'm almost certain, but that was a few years ago. I wasn't aware of this change, but yes I do see that in all the more recent pictures. Or maybe my memory is bad. Both explanations are entirely possible!

There are still times that they will go in forward - rare, but specifically if there is a need to have the starboard side against the dock and/or the port side more at open-ish water. Unfortunately as far as I know there is no way to know in advance if you will be on the rare forward docking.

Which is why I never pick a side based on anticipated view. I prefer port as a rule, and I love the natural side of the island - but if I end up on a forward docking sailing it will not ruin my trip. As someone else said, I am out on the island and not sitting in my room looking out the window.

So you did the ship tour at boarding and Dino was your tour guide too? LOL

OP, what CC view you get from your room depends upon:
Having been on eight DCLs, 3 back ins and 5 pull ins.

From discussions with CMs, these are some of the reasons that are used to determine which it is:
Sea conditions/Winds
Maintenance issues
Which lifeboats require testing
Captain's choice

OP, what CC view you get from your room depends upon:
Having been on eight DCLs, 3 back ins and 5 pull ins.

From discussions with CMs, these are some of the reasons that are used to determine which it is:
Sea conditions/Winds
Maintenance issues
Which lifeboats require testing
Captain's choice
Seven trips to CC and all of ours have been back-ins.

Seven trips to CC and all of ours have been back-ins.

As I said earlier, the majority are. BUT there are times that it does dock bow forward. But you don't know in advance. Which is why I would never base a cabin selection on "Starboard for the populated side of Castaway" because the possibility exists that you may not get that IF the ship has to dock forwards.

Pretty positive they would not even entertain compensation for that, so inevitably you (or whoever did book expecting that) would be back on here and/or other forums whining that it was a horrible cruise and Disney refused to "make it right" over something that is never a guarantee.

We've been on 14 DCL cruises, at least one of which was a double dip, and all of them have been back ins at CC.

50+ castaways and backed into all of them.
I know they do go in forward but I've never seen it, so i can say from MY experience that it's rare (although no doubt someone will tell me my experience is wrong haha)

I think it's mainly that if the weather does suddenly change and they need to get out quick, it's much easier to do that this way round.

We always pick a room with a "**5**" in the number to hopefully get the great view and both our previous cruises we backed in and had the great view of the island/beach areas. We also like watching them load the ship when leaving the ports. We were amazed watching all the food get brought on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!