Portable oxygen on big rides

tubiemom

Earning My Ears
This will be our 3rd trip to WDW with portable oxygen (Respertronics SimplyGo). My kids will be 2 and turning 6 at the time of our trip and both will be on oxygen (last two trips our oldest has been, this will be our first time with both kids on oxygen).

Our oldest will be 40in this trip and she wants to do more big kid rides (her favorite ride last trip was 7DMT). She uses a wheelchair but can walk to transfer and can sit independently in rides and is cognitively ahead.

Has anyone done an oxygen concentrator on Big Thunder, Splash, Star Tours, Tower of Terror, or Soarin?

She watches Disney vlogs all the time so she knows what rides are there and she really wants to ride those. I know they might not all be possible however we are a family who does our best to make the world safely accessible to our kids so we are trying to figure it out.

not sure how big the oxygen is itself, but they do let backpacks on all rides 9 but soring and FOP. if she or the adult next to her can put it by there feet, then she might be able to go on ( not 100% sure)

our POC is 11.5 inches Wide x 6 inches Deep x 10 inches High and it has a shoulder strap

No one has posted definitely about oxygen on rides.
These are my guesses (copied from page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread).

WDW does not list anything about oxygen, so there are some you may be able to ride and some not. It will probably depend on the exact equipment you have, how far it can be located away from you and what exactly the set up for that attraction is. You will probably need to talk to a CM at each attraction for a final decision.

You may want to take the specific information about the rides to your doctor for more specific advice.

For some of them, there is a height requirement, so a child on oxygen may not be able to ride anyway. I listed the height requirement for those that have a minimum height.
I do not have experience with oxygen, but have ridden these attractions. Other posters may have actual experience with oxygen, although many people using oxygen would have other conditions that keep them from riding these.
Even if you can’t ride any of these, there are still plenty of things without warnings (and without height requirements, for younger guests).

For Epcot here are the attractions with warnings:
  • Mission Space - Minimum height 44 inches. There is a warning for both the more tame (green side) and the more wild (orange side). They are both turbulent with the biggest difference that the orange side spins on a centrifuge as well as moving back and forth. Sudden changes of direction that jerk you around a lot. This is a very turbulent ride and my guess is that oxygen would not be allowed.
  • Test Track - Minimum height 40 inches. This has sudden stops, swerves and goes fast. Little neck support. It is not really that rough, so oxygen might possibly work.
For Magic Kingdom:
  • Splash Mountain - Minimum height 40 inches. This has several small drops and one very large drop. The big drop takes you down at a very extreme angle at a high rate of speed (I think you get to 40 mph). At the bottom, your ride car stops abruptly. Most of it is fairly smooth, but during the drops, you can get jostled. It is also difficult to get in and out of because the ride car has very small openings and you would need to step up quite far over the side and lift your equipment over the side. Oxygen might work on this if it can be on the floor of the ride car because backpacks are put there and stay in place.
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Minimum height 40 inches. This is a roller coaster. Has no head or neck support and you get jostled a lot side to side. Sudden changes of direction that jerk you around a lot. I am quite certain that oxygen would not be allowed here because there is so much movement.
  • Tomorrowland Indy Speedway - Minimum height 32 inches. Small, low to the ground gas powered cars. They are loud and smell of gas. Because kids are driving some of the cars, you can get bumped from behind. Even if you don’t get bumped, it can be a jerky ride if you hit the guide bar that keeps the cars from going off the path. No neck support. Oxygen would need to fit in the car and not interfere with steering or using the gas pedal.
  • Space Mountain - Minimum height 44 inches. This is a roller coaster in the dark and passengers sit one behind the other. I am quite certain that oxygen would not be allowed.
  • Goofy’s Barnstormer - is a short roller coaster and not sure whether oxygen would be allowed or not because it is quite short.
For Disney Studio
  • Star Tours - Minimum height 40 inches. A simulated spaceship ride with sudden dips and other movements. Sudden changes of direction that jerk you around a lot. No neck support. Purses and other items are required to be placed in a net bag under the seat; nothing loose is allowed. My guess is that oxygen would not be allowed.
  • Rock N Roller Coaster - Minimum height 48 inches. A roller coaster. Fairly smooth, but very fast and does an inversion. Because of the inversion, I am quite certain oxygen would not be allowed and posters who were on oxygen confirmed this was true.
  • Tower of Terror - Minimum height 40 inches. You sit in an elevator and get dropped. It is fairly smooth, but arms and legs will move around. No neck support. My guess is that oxygen would not be allowed because the tank would kind of float during the points where the elevator is rising and slam down as it drops.
For Animal Kingdom:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari - this is a tram ride through a simulated African wildlife preserve. It can be bumpy and my DD is bumped around quite a bit in her wheelchair. No neck support. Purses and other items are placed under the seats; it is possible oxygen could be used.
  • Kali River Rapids - Minimum height 38 inches. This is a river raft ride. The raft is free floating inside a channel and there are several places where the raft can get dropped rather hard. You may get wet or completely soaked. No neck support. My guess is that oxygen would not be allowed because the attraction has lockers outside for backpacks and other loose items.
  • Expedition Everest - Minimum height 44 inches. A roller coaster which goes backwards at one point. No neck support. It is fairly smooth, but my guess is that oxygen would not be allowed.
  • Primeval Whirl - Minimum height 48 inches. this looks pretty tame from the ground, but it is a small roller coaster combined with unexpected and quick turning. There is little restraint and you can get whipped around a lot. My youngest DD almost slipped under the restraint in this. I am VERY certain that oxygen would not be allowed.
  • Dinosaur - Minimum height 40 inches. This is a very rough, noisy ride in the dark. It is a simulated time travel ride in a Jeep-like vehicle that goes up and down over simulated hills. Sudden changes of direction that jerk you around a lot. No neck support. I am quite certain oxygen would not be allowed.

These attractions have no warnings, but some people have reported problems with them.
Magic Kingdom
Pirates of the Caribbean - Does have one small drop in the dark. The drop has no turns, so may be OK.
Haunted Mansion - At one point, the doombuggy turns around and goes down an incline backwards. Some people have reported that this short sequence caused an uncomfortable pressure on their back or neck. The doombuggy does have neck support. Should not be a problem with oxygen.

Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Toy Story Mania - this is a ride car that goes thru a video game with a number of different scenes. In between each scene, the ride car makes a quick turn which some people find a bit jerky. It should not be a problem with oxygen if the oxygen can be placed on the floor.

Epcot

Many people think that Soarin’ has warnings, but the only warnings are for fear of heights and possible motion sickness. Minimum height 40 inches.
It is a very gentle simulated hang glider ride, where you are suspended at least 10 feet off the ground. The seat issupportive and feels like a comfortable lawn chair. Loose items are required to go under the seat in a mesh bag. I am not sure what would be done with oxygen, but it is probably allowed as long as it fits in the mesh bag.

Oxygen is allowed on Barnstormer (at lest a POC is, we don't travel with tanks because we fly), we have done that one many times as well as Kilimanjaro Safari, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Toy Story Mania. So far everything under the 40in mark she has been able to ride (we haven't tried her riding in the Indy cars.... there is a lot of fumes) but now she is starting to get into that gray area where she can ride more then flat rides and she likes to be a big girl.

My mom has a POC and was able to take it on big thunder, splash ( covered to keep dry) and tower of terror. I believe she also was allowed to keep it on star tours but definitely not on soaring or flight of passage. I would stay very far away from the speedway getting anywhere near there causes huge problems for my mom that could send you straight to first aid.

My mom has a POC and was able to take it on big thunder, splash ( covered to keep dry) and tower of terror. I believe she also was allowed to keep it on star tours but definitely not on soaring or flight of passage. I would stay very far away from the speedway getting anywhere near there causes huge problems for my mom that could send you straight to first aid.
Thank you! How did they handle the POC on TOT?

We just put it being her legs to keep in place i recommend you hang onto it. They did have to double check she was allowed but we did it on 2 separate days. This was all as recent as March. Hope your daughter loves it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter