Portable Scooter in trunk of car?

monica31671

DIS Veteran
Hello, All! We need to rent my elderly father a scooter for our trip. We would like the option to drive to the parks and not rely on the buses all of the time. Does anyone have any experience with breaking down a portable scooter and putting in the trunk of a car? Is this easy to do or am I just wishing?
The videos on Buena Vista Scooter Rentals make it look easy enough, but everything looks easy when all I'm doing is watching someone else do it.
Thanks!

Uea it is doable might take some time. My friend and I could break hers down and have it in the back of her suv ( I know not a car ) in about 5-10 minutes first time it took closer to 15. I would let the rental place know you would like to do this so they can give you one thst can do this

And I would rent from one thst has to meet you ( like gold ) so they can show you how to do it.

Hello, All! We need to rent my elderly father a scooter for our trip. We would like the option to drive to the parks and not rely on the buses all of the time. Does anyone have any experience with breaking down a portable scooter and putting in the trunk of a car? Is this easy to do or am I just wishing?
The videos on Buena Vista Scooter Rentals make it look easy enough, but everything looks easy when all I'm doing is watching someone else do it.
Thanks!

Make sure that at least one member of your party can "dead lift" 50 pounds into and out of the trunk of a car - that's probably the weight of one of the heaviest pieces (on average).

Remember that you will be dissembling/reassembling the scooter in parking lots - lots of hot pavement, and little to zero shade, so it's going to be *hot*.

I agree with my friend @gap2368 - rent from a company that will take the time to teach you how to do it, and that uses good quality equipment.

When I was less disabled and about 60 I rented an ECV that could be disassembled. I also rented a compact car. As it was a solo trip I handled it alone many, many times with no problems.

When I drove the Sonata more, I could easily get my sister's EVC into the trunk. The heaviest section was 47 lbs. If you have two people that can share that weight, it can be easier. I have a Traverse and we no longer take the base and wheels apart, just remove the batteries, seat and basket. I can lift the front tire to the rear and then pick up the tire section and roll it in. If I have to place it in sideways so all seats are available and my sister is feeling strong enough, I lift the front portion up for her to hold and then I lift the tires up and into the trunk and then take the front portion and slide it over an in.

When I was less disabled and about 60 I rented an ECV that could be disassembled. I also rented a compact car. As it was a solo trip I handled it alone many, many times with no problems.

Do you remember what kind it was? I know that Gold Mobility rents the Go-Go Sport, which they say can be broken down, but I haven't tried it.

Do you remember what kind it was? I know that Gold Mobility rents the Go-Go Sport, which they say can be broken down, but I haven't tried it.
No I don’t remember what kind it was. It was over a decade ago. I rented from Randy’s.

There are rental scooters that are more lightweight then others. Those scooters are usually for people not too heavy. They usually come with one battery.

Then, there are heavy duty scooters like the Pride Victory 10 that has two batteries and can handle a heavier person. These scooters weigh more and are harder to handle for breaking apart. These scooters will last for a very long day in the parks.

Some rental places make it difficult if not impossible to break down their scooters. For example the batteries are attached in such a way that they don't come off the scooter.

If you can get by with the lightweight model you should be okay with any car. You can always put part of it on a seat if you have to fit it that way. The lightweight models will not last on one battery charge for a long day in the parks.

Practice good battery sense like shutting the scooter off while viewing a show, parade or fireworks.

I'm fairly sure I've rented the Go Go Sport portable scooter in the past and my husband and son had no problem taking it apart and putting it in the trunk. As long as your scooter user is not on the heavy side it should be fine - the battery for it is smaller and it will be more likely to run out of a charge the heavier the person is....at least was the case for what I rented. Even for a lighter weight person the battery still is iffy to go all day - bring the cord with you in case he needs to top it off.

We were recently at Disneyland and I had to take my scooter. We took an Uber to the park and back. Ours fit in both trunks, however it took about 5 min to manuver it in.

rented a pride scooter last trip and rented a ford fusion. scooter broken down didn't fit into trunk no matter how I tried. Ended up puttng down back seat and putting body there. I have a lot of experience fitting ecv's into different vehicles and with newer cars you need to look closely at trunk opening

According to Gold Mobility their go go sport scooter breaks down into 5 pieces, heaviest piece is 36 pounds.
Suggest you call whatever company you're going to use and ask how easy the scooter is to dissemble and how heavy the heaviest piece is. You might ask how small a car can easily handle you scooter.

Are there places in the parks to charge a scooter if the battery starts to get low while your there? Can the CM's help you with this? We were wanting to rent the portable version as will have an SUV but the family member is a heavy guy so I have some concerns about the battery life of the portable scooter.

A. A properly charged (overnight) ECV should not need to be recharged during the day. Especially one from Gold Mobility.
B. Topping off the battery could damage it. Please check with the rental company.

Are there places in the parks to charge a scooter if the battery starts to get low while your there? Can the CM's help you with this? We were wanting to rent the portable version as will have an SUV but the family member is a heavy guy so I have some concerns about the battery life of the portable scooter.

A larger person needs to rent a suitable ECV - be sure to let the rental company know that he will need a heavy-duty ECV, which should have the appropriate battery capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!