Portofino or Royal Pacific?

Soon2B4

DIS Veteran
If they were pretty much the same rate ($10 difference) which would you choose for 1 night? We stayed at Royal Pacific last time and liked that it was such a quick walk from our room to the parks. If there a reason you would choose one over the other? Thanks :)

We've always stayed at RP, as we like it best and t usually is quite a bit cheaper. If Portifino was roughly the same price, I might be tempted to give it a go, even though for me personally, it looks like the hotel I'd like least.
Also, we don't use the boats much, as we don't like waiting, and we do enjoy walking...so that would be another negative for staying at Portifino, personally.

RP is amazing, I would definetly stay here over Portifino.! It really has the Wow factor! We stayed here one night for our Honeymoon. Staff were so nice here and the amenities are brilliant - there is a pool with the sunbeds in sand so you really feel as if you are in the Caribbean!! :)
There is also plenty of food options. Sushi restaurant, American food restaurant etc.

We walked to Portifino at night time as there is a pathway between the hotels which takes about 15 minutes. There is a little grocery store there which RP doesn't have so we bought a few snacks for the room. They also have a large souvenir shop.

The rooms at PBR have more square feet when comparing similar room levels. That is why PBR is usually the more expensive. For ten dollars difference, I would choose PBR. The entire family likes the PBR pools better, too.

We have stayed at both. You might like changing it up since you stayed RPR last time.

I go with whichever is cheaper. Thus, we've only stayed at PBH once vs about 5 or 6 times at RPR.

We aren't 'resort people'. We've never eaten at any of the resorts. The only reason we've seen a pool at RPR is because you walk past it to get to the boat dock. We didn't see any of the pools at PBH.

If there was a cheaper hotel where you got EP, we'd stay there. ;)

Not much help... but maybe it is - if there are things you like to do, or like to try, at one vs. the other, you can use that to decide.

Both are lovely.

Don`t let the longer walk to parks from PB put you off, its still not a huge walk and is very pretty, or you could take the boat.

No bad choice there......

Also, RPR doesn't have any quick lunch or dinner places to eat with children or picky eaters. They have the restaurants, sushi lounge, room service, and pool bar. But if you wanted to grab something to go, you are stuck with what's in the little store, ie ice cream bars, chips, crackers. PBH seems to have a better selection of quicker food, like the pizza place.

Also, RPR doesn't have any quick lunch or dinner places to eat with children or picky eaters. They have the restaurants, sushi lounge, room service, and pool bar. But if you wanted to grab something to go, you are stuck with what's in the little store, ie ice cream bars, chips, crackers. PBH seems to have a better selection of quicker food, like the pizza place.

Jake's has an all day menu and kids menu too. You can order and take away food from there :thumbsup2

Islands at rpr has a kids room
Where they can eat

Hrh has the same set up at the Kitchen

Islands at rpr has a kids room
Where they can eat

Hrh has the same set up at the Kitchen
Yep, we've used the kids room at islands and jakes most definitely has a kids menu. Plus you have the excellent bula bar at the pool.

I've done both but not for a few years (although going back this week!). We much prefer Portofino if the rates are close. Just found it to be a much nicer hotel over all. That said there is one huge benefit to RPH and that is the fact that it's a much shorter walk to the parks. If you're not walking then I would absolutely go Portofino. If you were going to walk to the parks take that into consideration.

We prefer Portofino but honestly they are both nice and it's such a personal preference. Since there's usually a larger price difference I would give Portofino a chance just to see for yourself.

Sals market has grab and go and their pizza is fantastic. There's also a gelato shop which my son would visit daily. The room are a lot bigger and the nighttime opera is cool to experience.

My son likes the pool play area at RP better, but the slide is at Portofino.

Bottom line both are great and you really can't go wrong for one night b

Portofino.

That's good to know. I didn't see the kids menu.:thanks:

I discovered on our last visit that the in-room book with hotel info and menus etc has un-numbered pages and no table of contents, so it's impossible for a guest to know if the info is complete. So a book might be missing all sorts of menu pages but the guest would never know.

Portofino.

I discovered on our last visit that the in-room book with hotel info and menus etc has un-numbered pages and no table of contents, so it's impossible for a guest to know if the info is complete. So a book might be missing all sorts of menu pages but the guest would never know.

That's what I was thinking too, but we were too lazy and tired to hike down there. I discovered though that Jake's kids menu is on the Universal website. Trust in the web:)

That's what I was thinking too, but we were too lazy and tired to hike down there. I discovered though that Jake's kids menu is on the Universal website. Trust in the web:)

That is, in fact, how I figured it out (akin with posts here). :)

But as much as I love the interwebz, I love printed info more, and it peeves me that their printed info can be so incomplete without anyone knowing.

So we are booking Portofino. The FL resident rate is currently a $5 difference between the same rooms at the 2 hotels. We decided to try it since we have already stayed at Royal Pacific. That way we know in the future which we prefer. Thanks for all of your help! :)

We stayed at PB for 4 nights last September and have stayed at RP twice (really 3 times, but that is a long story - so I am just going to say 2 times that count) and we vastly prefer RP. There is a really relaxed beachy but still upscale vibe there. The rooms at PB were super nice - better than RP, but I am not sure I could exactly describe why, but we got a more relaxed and friendly feeling from RP. We also much preferred the food at RP. We are going back in September and will be staying at RP again. However, we were glad we gave PB a chance and now we have our answer on which we like better! So if there is only a $10 price difference between the two and you haven't been to PB, I would suggest choosing PB so you can find out which one you like more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter