Positive thoughts please-ups and downs p.42

No real updates today. I went and saw him for a while last night. His mood was crap but so was mine because we had had an argument the day before.

They x ray’d his right knee and it didn’t show any signs of damage beyond a bit of possible arthritis. His knee is the thing that is slowing him down the most. They have started putting Voltarin cream on his knee and he says it’s having an instant impact. Today he was able to get into and out of the chair with no pain. He still had to be helped, but now he isn’t writhing in pain due to his knee.

He’s able to text and hold his phone now so we talk a lot during the day. His fingers were all curled up but now he stretches them out by lying his hand flat on a pillow and that’s improving too. I think the final step before he comes home will be to get him up and walking consistently. He’ll have to have a walker for a while until he’s steady on his feet again but we can make a walker work. It’s funny to see his walker because it’s so much bigger than a normal one. He’s 6’7” so he’d be hunched in half to use a normal one lol

One last thing that made me smile yesterday..probably the only time I smiled at all that day. Next Saturday night my youngest brother and girlfriend get here from Toronto and so we are going to my parents house to put up their tree and decorate Christmas cookies. They have both been traditions for as long as I can remember.

Anyway, after that, we are having dinner and then having a game night. My sister will have the other grandparents take her kids home and get them into bed so we can have an adult evening with drinking. Not that they don’t drink around the kids, but now we can be loud and rowdy. I don’t usually drink with them because I only like one cocktail, a Long Island iced tea. It takes a lot to make so I just don’t drink. No big deal and I don’t feel left out or anything.

When we were up at the hospital somehow that night got brought up and my mom asked me if I knew all that went into a Long Island. I know there’s gin, and vodka, and triple sec, and white rum, and lime juice, and coke. Then she said that she is going to buy all of that so I can drink with them and not feel left out. It’s such a small thing, but it made me feel so included that she would think of that tiny detail for me.

I swear, I am going to cry more in the next two weeks than I have all year.

Oh, one more thing, don’t watch the end of Philadelphia right before you go see your husband in the hospital. That part always makes me cry but I was sobbing. Ugh, if I had the bits to go through menopause, I’d swear that’s what was happenings

Sorry for the verbal vomit.

Good Morning Kimblebee :flower3:

Any news? I noticed in the Christmas plans thread you mentioned Richard still being in the hospital next week. Did the idea of a day pass not pan out? Let us know how you’re doing as we’re all thinking of you. :wave2:

Good Morning Kimblebee :flower3:

Any news? I noticed in the Christmas plans thread you mentioned Richard still being in the hospital next week. Did the idea of a day pass not pan out? Let us know how you’re doing as we’re all thinking of you. :wave2:

‘morning

We’ll be spending Christmas in the hospital. He’s still hooked up to too many tubes to be able to leave for a day. He has been up and walking very short distances with the help of two people and a walker. There’s talk of transferring him to another hospital to start a six week intensive physio program. They also want to give him another six weeks of antibiotics. His spirits are way up and his swelling is all but gone. He’s getting better at moving his hands and feet too. Now it’s just a matter of building up his strength again.

Today is one month since this whole nightmare started. In the past few days one of his doctors told him that for a while, they weren’t sure he was going to pull through. I don’t even know how to process that.

On that note, I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. I’ll pretty much be living at the hospital next week so no idea how much I’ll be here.

Christmas at the hospital with a very much recuperating Richard sounds like a very merry one after a lot of anguish and worry. A very Happy New Year to you both!

You’re right. I should focus on all the strides he’s making. I’m just having a very sad day. I miss him, I miss my daughter and neither will be here.

My birthday is three weeks after Christmas and I’ve already told my family I want my daughter home. So, I asked that any money they would spend on me, send to her instead to put towards her plane ticket.

You’re right. I should focus on all the strides he’s making. I’m just having a very sad day. I miss him, I miss my daughter and neither will be here.

My birthday is three weeks after Christmas and I’ve already told my family I want my daughter home. So, I asked that any money they would spend on me, send to her instead to put towards her plane ticket.
:grouphug: I sure hope they make that happen for you. Merry Christmas Kimblebee.

Last edited:

You are entitled to have a sad day. The holidays usually stir up all sorts of emotions and can make you feel all out of sorts to begin with. Add in your daughter moving and Richards illness, your stress level has been through the roof. I hope your daughter can come home for your birthday. It’s a tough road to get Richard well but he’s been making progress. Slow and steady wins the race. (((HUGS)))

Still in my prayers

Things have a way of working out and hope your Christmas turns out to be the best day of the year

Richard improving is a thought at the top of my list and your daughter being with you at Christmas

What a special day that will be!

WOOHOO

I just talked to Richard and he was able to walk about 25 meters with his walker!! It doesn’t seem like a lot but considering yesterday he could barely 10, he made huge progress. He said today is a really good day, he’s hardly in any pain and didn’t get winded doing the walk. I can hear determination in his voice too.

He’s back in a chair and about to eat lunch. Then, if he’s up to it, he’s going to try the walk again. He knows he can’t overdo it and that there will still be bad days but today will do so much for his mood.

I’m going to see him after supper for a while and then I’m going bowling/drinking with my family. My brother is here from Toronto so I’m looking forward to seeing him for a while.

That's so good to hear. I know with my DH, one week he is mowing the lawn, next week he can't get out of bed, very discouraging. Jump ahead several weeks....being able to walk to the bathroom felt as good (and was as hard ) as climbing Mt Everest.

Baby steps, baby steps....just keep going in the right direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter