Possible difficulty to prepare for when staying at DW resorts

bocaj1431

DIS Veteran
I just wanted to share some new procedures being used at DW resorts that may affect some with special needs.

DW resorts have new security checks that they have been implementing within guest rooms. There have been mixed reviews over the implementation of these security checks. Please see the Resorts thread for guests experiences with this.

Due to the horrific incident that occurred in Las Vegas, hotels have begun to change their security procedures. DW has begun to address this with added security checks.

From the info provided in the threads by guests, it seems to be that the do not disturb sign is no longer provided and a room occupied sign is provided. (You are no longer guaranteed privacy!) Each day a security check has to be done. Typically someone from housekeeping enters while you are not there and empties your garbage and does the “security check.” Unfortunately, this often can occur when you are in your room too. Please see the threads for all the examples of negative experiences. Some experiences are really bad and some have no difficulties at all.

After reading these examples, I immediately thought how this would impact my son with Autism. If he were to experience a “security check” that was mishandled, it could spiral right into a panic attack. I’m not sharing this info to harp on whether or not DW is or is not handling the security checks in a proficient manner. I just know how much I have to prepare for in advance when vacationing with my son and I know many of you do the same thing. Please read the thread on security checks to see if this might be something you need to prepare for. There are two threads. One is strictly for guest experiences and the other has experiences and opinions.

To prepare your son, you could explain that maybe the housekeeper or someone else from the resort may knock on the door. Mom or dad will answer the door if this happens. The person may come into the room and empty the trash and take used towels. It’s ok if this happens because mom or dad will be there with you.

Honestly...yes, i’ve read the reports, but the majority of guests have no problem. If you tend to be back in the room every afternoon for a rest, I recommend going to the front desk and requesting housekeeping come in the morning. On prior visits, if you have usually had housekeeping and they came while you were out, no particular reason to expect anything different this time. If you usually decline housekeeping, speak to the front desk when you decline the service.

Remember... more people will report a negative experience than a positive one.

Enjoy your vacation.

The vast VAST majority of the checks go off without any issues. Think about how the posters on this board are but a small percentage of visitors to Disney and then think about how people are way more likely to complain then post and say "Everything went well! No problems!". So you are really just getting the bad info from a tiny minority. Yes, you should prepare your child as much as possible that the checks will happen, just as you would anything else that could cause stress.

The vast VAST majority of the checks go off without any issues. Think about how the posters on this board are but a small percentage of visitors to Disney and then think about how people are way more likely to complain then post and say "Everything went well! No problems!". So you are really just getting the bad info from a tiny minority. Yes, you should prepare your child as much as possible that the checks will happen, just as you would anything else that could cause stress.

There are numerous posts with people who have had situations occur that would definitely affect my child. It is not about people complaining or whether there are a vast majority of people that have no issues. In fact, one of the threads created is only for actual experiences and no comments, feelings, or complaints are allowed.

It is a new system that has been put in place, which if not prepared, could affect a certain population. The check itself, whether or not it occurs without any issues, could create difficulties for our family. I am not going to list the reasons why because my post is not about that. If you know what to expect ahead of time this situation can be easily managed if however you have no idea that this new system is in affect then it could easily become problematic.
I had no idea about the new security check until I came across the threads. I am glad that I now will be prepared.
Going on vacation with a child who has special needs can be very stressful and preparation is key. I am hoping that for that population my thread will alert these families to something that they may need to be aware of.

As a paraplegic it takes me 2 hours to get ready in the morning. Two hours where I am not dressed to receive visitors. I assume they would prefer to come back instead of bursting in when I've just gotten out of the shower and am not dressed. :)

There are numerous posts with people who have had situations occur that would definitely affect my child. It is not about people complaining or whether there are a vast majority of people that have no issues. In fact, one of the threads created is only for actual experiences and no comments, feelings, or complaints are allowed.

It is a new system that has been put in place, which if not prepared, could affect a certain population. The check itself, whether or not it occurs without any issues, could create difficulties for our family. I am not going to list the reasons why because my post is not about that. If you know what to expect ahead of time this situation can be easily managed if however you have no idea that this new system is in affect then it could easily become problematic.
I had no idea about the new security check until I came across the threads. I am glad that I now will be prepared.
Going on vacation with a child who has special needs can be very stressful and preparation is key. I am hoping that for that population my thread will alert these families to something that they may need to be aware of.
from what I have been reading here and other places it appears putting the room sign and not having house keeping you will very quickly get the knock from security that will have
to be answered. the sign seems to be what gets you the knock. hope this is what you are looking in info

Last edited:

Which is why, I believe, the PP suggested being proactive, and taking your family's typical procedures into account.

You can not be proactive if you are unaware.

This post was meant ONLY to inform those who, have no knowledge of the new procedures. It was meant to address the population of people it MIGHT affect. That way you can then be prepared.

Please just let this post be about informing families this may affect! Not whether or not there are very few people who have difficulties, or whether they are exaggerated. If you are that one family who did not know and having this information may help you plan how to manage it, then you are the family I hope this helps.

To prepare your son, you could explain that maybe the housekeeper or someone else from the resort may knock on the door. Mom or dad will answer the door if this happens. The person may come into the room and empty the trash and take used towels. It’s ok if this happens because mom or dad will be there with you.

Honestly...yes, i’ve read the reports, but the majority of guests have no problem. If you tend to be back in the room every afternoon for a rest, I recommend going to the front desk and requesting housekeeping come in the morning. On prior visits, if you have usually had housekeeping and they came while you were out, no particular reason to expect anything different this time. If you usually decline housekeeping, speak to the front desk when you decline the service.

Remember... more people will report a negative experience than a positive one.

Enjoy your vacation.

According to the reports I've seen, requests for housekeeping at a certain time are either being ignored or honored sporadically, at best. As someone with an ASD son, this would stress me greatly.

According to the reports I've seen, requests for housekeeping at a certain time are either being ignored or honored sporadically, at best. As someone with an ASD son, this would stress me greatly.

From what i’ve read, that is true when the request is made directly to the housekeeper. Such requests must be made to the front desk or the housekeeping supervisor. There have been good reports from people who arranged it in advance like that. People who return to their room and say “I’m going to take a nap, please come by later” are getting the security check. My child easily gets stressed over such things as well, so I understand the concern.

I just wanted to share some new procedures being used at DW resorts that may affect some with special needs.

DW resorts have new security checks that they have been implementing within guest rooms. There have been mixed reviews over the implementation of these security checks. Please see the Resorts thread for guests experiences with this.

Due to the horrific incident that occurred in Las Vegas, hotels have begun to change their security procedures. DW has begun to address this with added security checks.

From the info provided in the threads by guests, it seems to be that the do not disturb sign is no longer provided and a room occupied sign is provided. (You are no longer guaranteed privacy!) Each day a security check has to be done. Typically someone from housekeeping enters while you are not there and empties your garbage and does the “security check.” Unfortunately, this often can occur when you are in your room too. Please see the threads for all the examples of negative experiences. Some experiences are really bad and some have no difficulties at all.

After reading these examples, I immediately thought how this would impact my son with Autism. If he were to experience a “security check” that was mishandled, it could spiral right into a panic attack. I’m not sharing this info to harp on whether or not DW is or is not handling the security checks in a proficient manner. I just know how much I have to prepare for in advance when vacationing with my son and I know many of you do the same thing. Please read the thread on security checks to see if this might be something you need to prepare for. There are two threads. One is strictly for guest experiences and the other has experiences and opinions.

You can put the chain across the door so security can't just come in. What exactly triggers your son's panic attacks? If it's having a stranger in the room, just ask if you can take your son out for a quick lap around the building while the check is being done. you don't even have to go far, just around the corner so your son can't see.

If the panic comes from a knock on the door, how have you handled that in the past? There will always be someone who knocks on the door at a hotel - housekeeping, random kids unsupervised, etc. Does the panic come from reading your attitude? Then you have to play the 'happy to see you' game.

The really easy way to avoid the issue is to have housekeeping every day, and to prep your child for the possibility of a security check before you go on vacation.

This was in the works at Disney at least six months before the incident in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, it's just a result of the crazy world we live in.

I raised a son with Autism. I now have an adult son with brain injuries and PTSD with severe anxiety. He does not always fully understand what is going on around him. When we stay in a resort room, I always prepare him for the possibility, although I don't point out necessarily WHY they do security checks as it would make him even more anxious. I tell him it's to make sure that people are not trashing the rooms or doing drugs in the rooms. Maybe not the whole truth, but the reality would destroy our vacation. He would be on high alert the whole time, and he already takes enough anxiety meds to put the average person in a coma.

This was in the works at Disney at least six months before the incident in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, it's just a result of the crazy world we live in.

I raised a son with Autism. I now have an adult son with brain injuries and PTSD with severe anxiety. He does not always fully understand what is going on around him. When we stay in a resort room, I always prepare him for the possibility, although I don't point out necessarily WHY they do security checks as it would make him even more anxious. I tell him it's to make sure that people are not trashing the rooms or doing drugs in the rooms. Maybe not the whole truth, but the reality would destroy our vacation. He would be on high alert the whole time, and he already takes enough anxiety meds to put the average person in a coma.

If Disney was truly working on this for six months before they started it, they certainly did a piss poor job of educating their employees about what was coming since you get a different answer from every person you talk to about it.

If Disney was truly working on this for six months before they started it, they certainly did a piss poor job of educating their employees about what was coming since you get a different answer from every person you talk to about it.

I don't doubt that. Kind of like calling Disney. Talk to 5 people, get 5 different answers. Their own security doesn't even know how to get into locked rooms, bolted from the inside (not the hotel lock, just bolt.) I won't even go into the story about how I know that.

They were definitely working on it at least that long ago. I read something about it very early last year (maybe February?) and Las Vegas shooting didn't take place until much later in the year, although I forget that month as well.

You can put the chain across the door so security can't just come in. What exactly triggers your son's panic attacks? If it's having a stranger in the room, just ask if you can take your son out for a quick lap around the building while the check is being done. you don't even have to go far, just around the corner so your son can't see.

If the panic comes from a knock on the door, how have you handled that in the past? There will always be someone who knocks on the door at a hotel - housekeeping, random kids unsupervised, etc. Does the panic come from reading your attitude? Then you have to play the 'happy to see you' game.

The really easy way to avoid the issue is to have housekeeping every day, and to prep your child for the possibility of a security check before you go on vacation.

I have a plan in place and will be fine.

A knock on a door has nothing to do with my sons issues and the new security checks are a little more than just a knock on a door in some instances. My point was just that without knowledge of the new policy, it could play out in a way that might cause a panic attack for my son. Thankfully because someone else shared information on another thread I am all set

I wanted to share with the special needs community that there is a new policy. Then they too can be prepared.

I was not aware it was in place before Las Vegas. I referred to it based on an article about DW and Hilton making the changes and they referred to that event as being one of the reasons why. Thanks for clarifying that.

I agree about not sharing too much. You always walk a fine line when dealing with the anxiety. Just trying to get through security checks at the airport is an exhausting experience for us. I absolutely dread it. I like your idea of using trashing the rooms and drugs as an explanation. I will definitely use that. Thanks!

As someone with an ASD son, this would stress me greatly.
Stress is the first thing that popped into my mind when I first learned about the policy. I was so thankful that I stumbled upon that thread. Now I am prepared and as I am sure you know preparation is key for our kids. Hopefully this might help someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter