Possible DVC CA location

You know, I've always wondered why they don't put up some parking garages over those large parking lots around DL and CA... I mean throw up a parking garage on one of the lots, and throw up a DVC on the other! :goodvibes

I keep holding out that they will make an announcement that the next DVC would be in CA. Someone on these boards posted that a CM said after the announcement of the next DVC is made that "98% would be surprised and 2% would be excited." I think this would match exactly with putting a resort in CA. The majority of people are hoping for more resorts in FL, while the few of us still hold out hope for a CA resort.

Longhairbear said:
Does anyone have pics of the DLR DVC model rooms? I heard they are fun to see,with views out the windows that are pics of the views from SSR.

They are set up in like a trailer and the rooms look like a studio and 1 bedroom. I did not think to take any pics when I had my tour but they do have a scenes of SSR outside the balcony!

I keep wondering why Disney doesn't buy up all those old outdated hotels across the street (like Candy Cane and Castle) and put up their own hotels (or maybe DVC) there.

bigsmooth said:
There have been a lot of rumors about that parking lot, mainly for DCA expansion, but I think it is plenty big enough to squeeze in a DCA resort and it would be ideal location next to both parks and DtD.

Plus there is the strawberry patch, who knows what ultimately they'll do with that now that they are in no hurry for another gate.
Another rumor for that parking lot is the building of a Disneyland water park. Of course being a westerner, I want both a DVC resort and a water park at Disneyland. :teeth:

Thanks for the link to the pics. I am planning on checking them out when we are there next May since we won't be going to WDW later in 2007. It will be my first chance to see them "in person" since we bought in DL and have never been to WDW :)

jdg345 said:
Wow ... looks very similar to SSR in the deco ...
That's because those are SSR rooms (or actually rooms that look like SSR rooms). Currently, the DVC sales force in California is selling DVC memberships at SSR.

disney-super-mom said:
Another rumor for that parking lot is the building of a Disneyland water park. Of course being a westerner, I want both a DVC resort and a water park at Disneyland.
The Timon parking lot is needed for expansion of Disney's California Adventure.

The Disney-owned former strawberry field, when combined with adjacent Disney-owned property, is large enough for a third Disney theme park or large water park. However, the city of Anaheim now has their eye on that property for a new east-west commercial axis through Anaheim.

Disney has all sorts of surface parking lots across Harbor Boulevard and near Disney's hotels. By building another parking structure on the large Pinocchio parking lot adjacent to the Mickey & Friends parking structure, Disney would free up plenty of land (currently used for surface parking) for a DVC resort, a smaller water park, and another deluxe resort — without touching the Timon parking lot or the former strawberry field.

Although every acre has to be used efficiently for Disney to maximize the value of their limited land at the Disneyland Resort, Disney has shown that they can do so. For example, the Grand Californian Resort has a wing of rooms above the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney. It's actually quite charming.

Horace Horsecollar said:
That's because those are SSR rooms (or actually rooms that look like SSR rooms). Currently, the DVC sales force in California is selling DVC memberships at SSR.
Yes, we saw the DVC kiosks and signs all over the place.

Horace Horsecollar said:
Although every acre has to be used efficiently for Disney to maximize the value of their limited land at the Disneyland Resort, Disney has shown that they can do so. For example, the Grand Californian Resort has a wing of rooms above the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney. It's actually quite charming.

They are charming! We just stayed in one of those very rooms at the beginning of August. The view of DTD and the railroad and SM at DL was wonderful :)

I spoke with one of the guides at the GCH about DVC in CA and he said that DVC is "looking" and would like to build something out there. Okay...that's pretty vague. I imagine they've been "looking" for at least a few years now, and might have to keep "looking" for a few more :rolleyes:

Plus, then you have the whole planning, permit, building process. And I don't think they'll want to poach sales from SSR. So I'm thinking it will be a few more years at least before anyone is staying in a DVC resort in CA.

I know this is :offtopic: But just to add more fuel to the fire, he also said that Disney is building two new cruise ships. I was surprised at this comment and said that Disney has been talking about another ship for years, but keeps saying they're going to wait until the dollar is stronger against the Euro before signing the contract with Fincantieri. So I asked him straight out if Disney had actually signed the contracts with Fincantieri to construct the new ships since I hadn't heard any kind of announcement (and I'm pretty sure there would have been an announcement!) and he was taken aback and didn't answer. :sad2:

I think this is a "need to remember the source" kind of situation with this guy ;)

Horace Horsecollar said:

The Timon parking lot is needed for expansion of Disney's California Adventure.

The Disney-owned former strawberry field, when combined with adjacent Disney-owned property, is large enough for a third Disney theme park or large water park. However, the city of Anaheim now has their eye on that property for a new east-west commercial axis through Anaheim.

Disney was all sorts of surface parking lots across Harbor Boulevard and near Disney's hotels. By building another parking structure on the large Pinocchio parking lot adjacent to the Mickey & Friends parking structure, Disney would free up plenty of land (currently used for parking) for a DVC resort, a smaller water park, and another deluxe resort — without touching the Timon parking lot or the former strawberry field.

Ohhhh ... I see ... I thot this was for a new DVC that was opening out there ... I got it now ... thanks! ;)

Miceage has posted a new article from Al Lutz. Within the article is the following:

'There's plenty slated for Anaheim through the end of this decade, including a massive remake of the Paradise Pier and Route 66 sections, the first DVC property in California, Downtown Disney expansion, and a decision on what to do with the aging Disneyland Hotel.'

Not saying this means anything, just the first time I have heard someone refer to a DL DVC as if it was a sure thing.

Inside the Magic podcast for this week mentioned something about an email from Iger accidentally getting into the wrong hands and it mentioned AKL as the next DVC resort.

The question becomes when though ... construction costs in CA are much higher than in FL ... and if they're expecting a slowdown ... they might have this on the burning until 2010 or so. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!