Possible guest recovery?

Jaimet

Earning My Ears
What are the chances of Disney offering some type of discount/recovery for people whose vacations were cancelled, but who did not rebook with the free dining offer? Do you think once the dust settles they will target this audience?

Nothing special. Disney needs paying guests. What ever they offer will be for everybody. After not working for weeks most people will not get vacation time this year. And with them opening mid July . It’s only a few weeks to hurricane season.
Also is FL schools reopening on Mid August .?

Agree. Everyone has been affected in some way; they can't single out any group.

They already have. People that got cancelled were offered free dining and now are getting 35% off. The problem is, they didn’t do anything for AP holders that can’t realistically do pkgs with tickets and they should have. If you haven’t been cancelled, there’s nothing you lost, don’t need to be offered anything other than if they decide to offer discounts at some point.

But they do need to extend that recovery offer to all guests who were cancelled, some of us multiple times. For those that in that group, I suggest you email Disney with your concerns. I certainly did.

They already have. People that got cancelled were offered free dining and now are getting 35% off. The problem is, they didn’t do anything for AP holders that can’t realistically do pkgs with tickets and they should have. If you haven’t been cancelled, there’s nothing you lost, don’t need to be offered anything other than if they decide to offer discounts at some point.

But they do need to extend that recovery offer to all guests who were cancelled, some of us multiple times. For those that in that group, I suggest you email Disney with your concerns. I certainly did.
We're in the group that had to rebook but didn't do so with the free dining offer since we have APs. We got an AP discount for the room, but now I wish we'd booked the free dining bc the AP discount wasn't 35%.

never say never, but I wouldn't count on it. I think they want to keep attendance low for a while. Once they are ready to ramp up the crowds I expect to see a lot of discounts

Once thing I do wish they would do is grandfather whatever discount was used for a canceled trip. So if you booked a Disney Visa rate and that trip got canceled you can use that same discount for your reschedule

I hadn't decided if I wanted the free dining or not and then they pulled it when I was supposed to still have weeks to book. They should extend the offer to anyone who was eligible for it the first time.

never say never, but I wouldn't count on it. I think they want to keep attendance low for a while. Once they are ready to ramp up the crowds I expect to see a lot of discounts

Once thing I do wish they would do is grandfather whatever discount was used for a canceled trip. So if you booked a Disney Visa rate and that trip got canceled you can use that same discount for your reschedule

I think it’s reasonable as well, but they refuse to do it.

We're in the group that had to rebook but didn't do so with the free dining offer since we have APs. We got an AP discount for the room, but now I wish we'd booked the free dining bc the AP discount wasn't 35%.
We are in the same group. Had to cancel twice, third trip (July) there was no AP discount available so we are full rack rates. We get nothing for being die hard Disney guests. There is nothing fair about it.

People who booked at the Fort were not eligible for the free dining when my first trip was canceled. I highly doubt we're going to get any breaks for our canceled June trip either. We're probably not going back for a couple of years.

I hadn't decided if I wanted the free dining or not and then they pulled it when I was supposed to still have weeks to book. They should extend the offer to anyone who was eligible for it the first time.

Only if they give those of us that booked with the free dining offer the ability to move it for a future stay. As it stands my only option is to take the 35% on my september stay. I can't switch and use the 35% in the future (which I'd rather do at this point).

Did you hear back? I don't have an AP, but I had room and tickets purchased separately. I was a little annoyed that the only possible guest recovery would require me to spend MORE money to buy new tickets that I wouldn't need (since my other tickets were extended to 12/15). I just don't think it's really guest recovery if they charge you for it.

Diehard Disney fans will remain..... diehard Disney fans. They'll offer promotion to general public once they need to drive further revenues while maintaining appropriate safety perceptions.

Diehard Disney fans will remain..... diehard Disney fans. They'll offer promotion to general public once they need to drive further revenues while maintaining appropriate safety perceptions.

And there are plenty of those to keep the parks at 25-30% capacity without any issue.

Disney is just trying to survive right now. I don't necessarily feel sorry for them but that's how it is. They don't want too many people to come, so they're not encouraging visits with any promos. If they do decide to offer promos later, how do they determine whose complaint is valid? There are thousands and thousands of people who can probably make a good case for a hardship claim. I don't see how they can sift through the limitless number of complaints they will surely have to deal with. So maybe they will offer some type of mass promo at a later date, mainly to get people back when it's time.

They tried to compensate that first group of people for the unexpected closure but then it dragged on longer than anyone expected. I can't believe Disney has been closed this long. I'm sure they are all saying, 'now what do we do?'

I cancelled the third week in July. Then I cancelled the third week in August. Now I am in October. It's disappointing but I don't expect Disney to promo me for covid closing down the parks and/or messing up my plans. I am certainly not a Disney apologist and I have my complaints with them but right now they are struggling and actual humans are trying to figure out what to do.

The problem is, promos are used to incentivize people to book. They are doing their darnedest to incentivize people NOT to book at this point. And, if they have to keep capacity low for any length of time, I don't think we are going to see any discounts for anyone until 2021, maybe later. At that point, I don't know if they'll reach back out to those who were booked in March through mid-July of 2020 to try to get them to come back.

And with them opening mid July . It’s only a few weeks to hurricane season.
Hurricane season in Florida actually starts this Monday June 1 and goes all the way through the end of November. You just typically don't see a lot of strong storm activity until later in the season.

As far as incentives, I think it's fair that they are going to discount the room to 35% off for those affected by the free dining recovery cancellation. It's actually much better for me, as I'm an AP and I had to purchase extra tickets (which I would have used towards my AP renewal) and pay full price for the room. 35% off the room is closer to what a room only AP discount often is. I'm good with it.

Only if they give those of us that booked with the free dining offer the ability to move it for a future stay. As it stands my only option is to take the 35% on my september stay. I can't switch and use the 35% in the future (which I'd rather do at this point).

Did you call and try to get it moved? I booked with the free dining bouncback last August for a late July trip. I got the 35% offer too but would really prefer to move it. I may try to see what they say. Technically the bounceback I booked was good in December too, just not sure if they will still honor the original bounceback dates at this point.

This was exactly our scenario. We were booked for Easter week. Was holding off on the free dining offer because we wanted to see how things were going. Then it got pulled. I know they really have no obligation to offer anything, but I’m hoping something is offered at some point.

Did you hear back? I don't have an AP, but I had room and tickets purchased separately. I was a little annoyed that the only possible guest recovery would require me to spend MORE money to buy new tickets that I wouldn't need (since my other tickets were extended to 12/15). I just don't think it's really guest recovery if they charge you for it.
No, other than the standard auto response that confirms they received my email. It's only been a few days. It can take weeks to hear back even in normal conditions. Honestly, as crazy as things are, I don't expect to hear back from them at all. My intent wasn't to actually get them to do anything, I don't think they will. It was just to let them know as a long time visitor, just how unhappy I was with how we were treated and what effect that will have on our vacation choices in the future. If enough people contact them, they might do something, but most people just complain on forums like this and don't actually complain where it could possibly do any good. So mine was really a I know it won't change things, but you should know kind of letter.

I'm not asking for an incentive to come back, I'm just asking to get what I had back or to be given something equal to other guests who were in the same boat as I was. Apparently, that's too much to ask for.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter