Possible Lightning Strike At WDW

This doesn’t surprise me. We’re over at OKW and I’ll bet I know which one. I heard a real loud thunder and lightning about 1/2 mile away. Shortly afterwards I heard fire trucks. Quite a storm!

Not normally...but when they start evacuations, and fire alarms are sounding...it's not your average, every day lightning strike....

But they aren't evacuating due to lightning. For some reason it triggered a fire alarm. Is there a fire? If not, it's likely an accident and a non-story

I was there in 2015 around this same time in May when lightning hit a palm tree at the front of Hollywood Studios and caught on fire. We were standing across the street from it and I'll never forget the sound. I was already afraid of lightning, but after that you'll never catch me outside in a storm :scared: It was the only time I've been genuinely afraid at Disney.

And tornados happen all the time in tornado alley so that’s not news either. Hurricanes always happen in the gulf that’s not news either.

I'm sitting here hoping for a tornado so I don't have to go to a Junior League meeting tonight ...

This doesn’t surprise me. We’re over at OKW and I’ll bet I know which one. I heard a real loud thunder and lightning about 1/2 mile away. Shortly afterwards I heard fire trucks. Quite a storm!

We heard it too and were less than ~.25 mile from it. All of us "poncho heads" stopped in our tracks and just yelled "wow". Thankfully, the FP to FEA was lucky timing as we hightailed it in for the ride. Whew!

And tornados happen all the time in tornado alley so that’s not news either. Hurricanes always happen in the gulf that’s not news either.

1.2 million lightning strikes in Florida per year has got to be less newsworthy than the 5-10 named hurricanes that might make landfall in the state. If, however, you're going to argue that lightning and hurricanes/tornadoes are equivalent, I'm afraid this is where the discussion/debate ends

1.2 million lightning strikes in Florida per year has got to be less newsworthy than the 5-10 named hurricanes that might make landfall in the state. If, however, you're going to argue that lightning and hurricanes/tornadoes are equivalent, I'm afraid this is where the discussion/debate ends
My point is the comment was unnecessary. It was a story that someone posted. It happened and thats that. Not everything is huge news when it comes to theme parks. No need for anything further.

1.2 million lightning strikes in Florida per year has got to be less newsworthy than the 5-10 named hurricanes that might make landfall in the state.
But how many times per year at WDW are there twitter reports that a WDW Resort took a "POSSIBLE" hit and is being evacuated and,even if there was no strike and the Fire Alarm just "went off",there was lightning happening and many Guests at least "thought" there was a strike?

That makes this "potential" lightning strike newsworthy.

Last edited:
But how many times per year at WDW are there twitter reports that a WDW Resort took a "POSSIBLE" hit and is being evacuated and,even if there was no strike and the Fire Alarm just "went off",there was lightning happening and many Guests at least "thought" there was a strike?

That makes this "potential" lightning strike newsworthy.

Exactly. The fact that fire alarms went off, the fire department had to respond and people were evacuated from a Disney resort, is "newsworthy" on a Disney blog site, no matter what the cause was or wasn't!

Welcome to Disboards, where we discuss news and rumors both great and small! From lightning strikes to fifth gate rumors!

On a personal note, we've been getting all the same rain that Central FL has been for the last 5 days, including thunder storms. Thousands of routine lightning strikes per the weather report, but oh boy that one that hit the power pole and blew the light fixture off of it right in front of my car, that I just had to tell my wife about! (she was mildly entertained at least...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter