Possible Visit to WDW in October. Good links for current visits?

Jaina

Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long, VMK story.
I have been pretty sad (like most of us) about DLR's continued closure. My husband has tried to get me to book a trip to WDW, but it felt wasteful to spend that kind of money/time right now on a trip just for me. But I'm finally leaning that direction, and even have a Southwest flight booked (with points!) for October 22nd-26th. That would be traveling Thursday, spending 3 days in the parks, then flying back. Looking at skipping Epcot probably, because I think I'd enjoy that one more later, with my husband, and without covid. I've been to WDW, but it was 22 years ago, and I was 15... (national competition in hs, and we only had 2.5 days in the park). So, links to what not to miss as a reverse visitor, who knows DLR super well, but is almost a WDW newbie? I have a good idea of some of the big differences normally, and the best advice, but I know everything is different right now. Which is honestly part of the draw. I haven't been that interested in experiencing it with Fastpass+, so I'm excited that that's not happening right now. I asked a couple of these questions on the WDW side of the board, but it's hard to know where the best places are to ask, and in some ways, I don't even know what to ask! I'm wondering if the tranport systems are a pain at all right now, or if it's worth it to stay on site. I have the WDW Dolphin booked on booking.com for $850 total, but that's so much (to me, haha). Ironically, that's where I stayed on my last trip. I'm thinking it might be worth it traveling solo, especially with the parks closing early most evenings. I also have an inquiry with GetAwayToday to see what kind of price I'd get at one of the other resorts. But I can get an 8.5/10 hotel right in that are for more like $300 for the 4 nights. I know I add in parking fees onsite and at the hotel lots of places, and I'm not sure how much it will be to rent a car yet. But would that maybe be more convenient? I just have no idea. And I have to figure out how to get to and from the airport. Is the Magical Express a thing right now? It doesn't even work for the Dolphin, right? I know, this is not the right board for these questions, but you guys are my people, and I'm sure some of you know what's up, or know the best places on here to direct me to read up!

Magical Express doesn't work for Swan/Dolphin, only WDW resorts. You can use Uber/Lyft/Taxi/Transportation services and expect it to be around $50-100, one-way.

For Dolphin, I think there are still $35/night resort fees, on top of the price quote, so make sure to find out whether the quote you got includes the resort fees.

$20-25/day for parking fees for each park you plan to visit, unless you hop on WDW transportation.

I am chuckling to myself right now, because you remind me of myself!! lol I went to Disneyland Paris by myself a couple years ago on a study abroad group trip and it was so amazing getting to be solo and do things on my own. It's something I didn't think I was capable of doing, partly for safety but also because I had never traveled in the US alone, nevermind a different country! I'm so glad I did it though.

I don't know much about WDW, but I think it is totally worth it to do on-site if you're traveling alone. The less stressful the better. It's not often these types of opportunities come up in life! I hope you're able to go and have a blast!

Def read some of the Disney world boards. The links below are some that I’ve browsed just to see what’s going on down there. The ROTR tells how the BG’s are working. I believe they drop 3 times throughout the day.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wdw-covid-19-operational-thread-reservation-system.3795738/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-times-are-ppl-actually-let-into-park.3810679/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...planning-and-information-no-spoilers.3782822/
1. Make sure you know what the hours are for the parks. They are shortened.
2. Pay attention to any hurricane threats. October is still hurricane season.
3. pay attention to weather. You are from AZ right?In Florida you can guarantee it will probably rain while you’re there. So pack a light rain jacket. I would be careful with umbrellas, especially during the afternoon storms.
4. Sometimes the lines for rides seem longer than they are because they stop them every 2 hours for cleaning.
5. In regards to rideshare. When I went back in January the Uber from Coronado Springs Hotel (AK area) to HS was only like $9.I would download all the ride share apps to price out what is cheapest.
6. If you plan to eat at Disney Springs make a reservation and beware of crowds! I have heard that it gets packed since the parks are closing early and people are looking for things to do.
7. I would also stay on site for the transportation. Pop century tends to have good rates. And I think that resort is near the skyliner so you can take that.

also remember to have fun :)

I've been making this same debate in my head! I miss being in a Disney park.

If you know your dates are firm, you could look into the Priceline Express deals. Hotwire has an equivalent with a different name. There's a post on the WDW side of the boards where someone made a tool that gives you an idea of what the hidden hotel could be, the link is on this last page of the thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/priceline-express-deals.3598657/page-312
If that seems too risky (non-refundable rates), or there aren't any good deals, I'd look into Pop as others have mentioned. You can use the skyliner and utilize Magical Express from MCO.

ETA: Use the Bonnet Creek Area for the location Filter of Priceline. I was curious so I checked for your dates. Using the Google doc link in the thread above, it looks like Swan is the 4.5 star for $144/night, the 4 star for $92/night is Wyndham Grand Orlando, and the 5 star for $229/night is Waldorf Astoria. No Disney owned properties at the moment. But, there is also a current 7% off promo code you can find through Google for even more savings. :-)

Last edited:
YAY your post made me so happy!!! Your husband sounds amazing, first off, and you definitely should do it!

I am a reverse visitor - DLR is home, but we've been to WDW 3 times in the past 10 years, last in July 2019. We're apparently fully addicted because I booked the Swan for June 2021, but that's another story...

I am a diehard only stay onsite at WDW person normally, but I am not totally sure how worth it that experience is right now. A lot of the perks (EMH, convenient park hopping, making FP+ reservations early) aren't there right now. BUT....the WDW experience is really about being in the bubble. So it's a tough call. I think the Dolphin is a really great choice (and a good compromise since it's "semi" on site), as long as you're going in realizing that the experience in the Boardwalk area is very different right now. No resort area friendship boats, a lot of things are closed, etc. On the other hand, I have seen some really cool recent pictures over on the WDW boards of a deserted Boardwalk area at night that makes me want to jump on a plane tomorrow! Side note - I know someone mentioned the resort fee. Was $850 the final total? If so, the resort fee should be included in that. When I booked Swan, I noticed it was included in the total (it was part of the price breakdown on the final page). Another side note - I'm pretty sure Marriott points can be used to book the Courtyard on Harbor by DLR...at least, that's what we're planning to do with them if we do end up sticking with the Swan.

If you do stay at the Dolphin, I recommend the YC/BC Movies Under the Stars out on the beach by BC. We stayed at YC last summer and watched A Goofy Movie out there and it was so fun! They didn't check to see if you were a guest at the resort - I'm pretty sure those are open to anyone. I just checked the YC/BC resort thread and it looks like they're still having those a few nights a week.

For information specific to the Dolphin resort area right now, I recommend checking out the Boardwalk, Yacht/Beach, and Swan/Dolphin threads on the Resorts board. They are all VERY active with lots of posts from people currently staying at those resorts, and you should be able to find out exactly what things look like in that area right now.
Swan/Dolphin: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...tion-questions.3264274/page-581#post-62305636
YC/BC: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-updated-info-on-page-1-post-1-13-14.3400342/
BW (only the villas are open right now): https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...tion-questions.3344344/page-525#post-62286986

As a solo, I'm assuming you'll be doing lots of rides so, here's what I would be sure NOT to miss at each of the parks as a DLR vet:

MK: Seven Dwarves Mine Train is so fun. Normally I would say Monsters Inc and People mover, but I think those are both closed.
AK: To me, THIS is the must do park for you. It's so different from anything in CA. FOP is by far the best ride I've ever experienced. Navi is beautiful. Everest is also amazing!! Dinosaur is really fun (though Indiana Jones is better, IMO)
HS: Everything in Toy Story Land!!! I am obsessed! Even TSMM is worth going on, even though the ride is identical to the DCA version, because the line is SO cool! It's so much better themed than the DCA version. RNRC is super fun, too. And of course there's the TOT classic version. I've never been to their Galaxy's Edge since it wasn't opened yet last I went. OH! Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is there! Definitely do that!

Personally, Epcot is my favorite Disney park....but with all the construction in future world right now, I am sad to say that you are probably making the right call forgoing it in favor of the others. Plus, World Showcase is kind of an anemic version of itself right now since the international program CMs aren't there.

Transportation - From my limited reading on the WDW boards, it seems like there is ME, but you're right, Dolphin doesn't get it anyway. It also seems like there are buses, and Dolphin does get those. We've never rented a car at WDW and we've never needed one, but of course that was pre-COVID. If you stay at the Dolphin you can walk to HS and Epcot (if you decide to go) very easily. We took buses to MK, AK, and DS from YC last summer. I'm not sure how that is going right now, but I know the resort threads or this thread about current experiences might be a good place to look: https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...ng-experiences.3807247/page-100#post-62243681
If you stay at the Dolphin, you also have very easy access to the Skyliner since there's a station right at the International Gateway. That's an option as well if you want to take it to HS or maybe go check out Riviera, Pop/AOA, or Caribbean Beach.

If you want any food recommendations, let me know. I am pretty obsessed with WDW food. ;) Or if you have any other questions or just want to discuss. DLR might be my first love, but I love WDW a whole lot, too.

ETA: I just read that FL bars can open this week at 50%, which maybe means that Jellyrolls, the dueling piano bar on the Boardwalk, will be open when you're there. We are not bar people and we don't even drink, but we loved Jellyrolls. The piano players are so crazy talented!

Last edited:
Since this isn't about planning a DLR trip, I'm going to move this thread to the DL Community Board. But, everyone, keep posting the great information! It can really help the OP and others who are thinking about planning a WDW trip (quite a few for the first time!).

OP, here are some pre-COVID threads from @HydroGuy that might have some useful info for you:
"WDW Abbreviations List" - www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm (this is a general DIS thread and not mine)
"An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636
"Detailed Weather Data for WDW" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004631
"Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711098
"Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/
"From DLR to WDW and Back Again: My Challenge With WDW Dining Philosophy at DLR" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2449979
"Ride Count Comparison Between DLR and WDW" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3221332

Thanks for the advice so far!
Magical Express doesn't work for Swan/Dolphin, only WDW resorts. You can use Uber/Lyft/Taxi/Transportation services and expect it to be around $50-100, one-way.

For Dolphin, I think there are still $35/night resort fees, on top of the price quote, so make sure to find out whether the quote you got includes the resort fees.

$20-25/day for parking fees for each park you plan to visit, unless you hop on WDW transportation.
That price is inclusive. The base price was $600-ish, then $850 with everything added. Which seems expensive for one person who usually travels on a budget, but I can't think of any friends that are crazy enough about Disney to spend that much (flight+hotel+ticket+food) AND are flexible enough with their little ones to be able to disappear for 5 days next month... I teach a microschool T-Th in my home, and I have a 12 and 13-year-old willing to help with younger siblings while I'm gone, so I can squeeze it in! Parking would probably be more, but I wouldn't rent a car if I stayed onsite.

I am chuckling to myself right now, because you remind me of myself!! lol I went to Disneyland Paris by myself a couple years ago on a study abroad group trip and it was so amazing getting to be solo and do things on my own. It's something I didn't think I was capable of doing, partly for safety but also because I had never traveled in the US alone, nevermind a different country! I'm so glad I did it though.

I don't know much about WDW, but I think it is totally worth it to do on-site if you're traveling alone. The less stressful the better. It's not often these types of opportunities come up in life! I hope you're able to go and have a blast!
I'm so impressed! I don't know if I would ever be brave enough to travel alone to another country alone. (well, I went to Canada, but it was to stay with a friend, and crossing that border hardly counts, haha) What an awesome experience! I've gone to DL solo (just last December, but it was fun!) and I wouldn't worry as much going solo normally,
but with all the 6-feet apart distancing and masks thing, it’s going to be harder to chat with those around me, and it might be just a little lonely. :-/

Def read some of the Disney world boards. The links below are some that I’ve browsed just to see what’s going on down there. The ROTR tells how the BG’s are working. I believe they drop 3 times throughout the day.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wdw-covid-19-operational-thread-reservation-system.3795738/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-times-are-ppl-actually-let-into-park.3810679/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...planning-and-information-no-spoilers.3782822/
1. Make sure you know what the hours are for the parks. They are shortened.
2. Pay attention to any hurricane threats. October is still hurricane season.
3. pay attention to weather. You are from AZ right?In Florida you can guarantee it will probably rain while you’re there. So pack a light rain jacket. I would be careful with umbrellas, especially during the afternoon storms.
4. Sometimes the lines for rides seem longer than they are because they stop them every 2 hours for cleaning.
5. In regards to rideshare. When I went back in January the Uber from Coronado Springs Hotel (AK area) to HS was only like $9.I would download all the ride share apps to price out what is cheapest.
6. If you plan to eat at Disney Springs make a reservation and beware of crowds! I have heard that it gets packed since the parks are closing early and people are looking for things to do.
7. I would also stay on site for the transportation. Pop century tends to have good rates. And I think that resort is near the skyliner so you can take that.

also remember to have fun :)

Thanks for the great tips! I am from AZ, but I have very strong memories of being poured on every afternoon (we were there in July) as a teenager! I have a lightweight rain jacket I could take; good call. I probably won’t even go to Disney Springs, since I anticipate wearing myself out walking at the park of choice each day, even with the shortened hours. That is good to know about cleaning the rides every 2 hours! I’m thinking I may need an audible book or two since it will
be harder to talk to line mates. :P

YAY your post made me so happy!!! Your husband sounds amazing, first off, and you definitely should do it!

I am a reverse visitor - DLR is home, but we've been to WDW 3 times in the past 10 years, last in July 2019. We're apparently fully addicted because I booked the Swan for June 2021, but that's another story...

I am a diehard only stay onsite at WDW person normally, but I am not totally sure how worth it that experience is right now. A lot of the perks (EMH, convenient park hopping, making FP+ reservations early) aren't there right now. BUT....the WDW experience is really about being in the bubble. So it's a tough call. I think the Dolphin is a really great choice (and a good compromise since it's "semi" on site), as long as you're going in realizing that the experience in the Boardwalk area is very different right now. No resort area friendship boats, a lot of things are closed, etc. On the other hand, I have seen some really cool recent pictures over on the WDW boards of a deserted Boardwalk area at night that makes me want to jump on a plane tomorrow! Side note - I know someone mentioned the resort fee. Was $850 the final total? If so, the resort fee should be included in that. When I booked Swan, I noticed it was included in the total (it was part of the price breakdown on the final page). Another side note - I'm pretty sure Marriott points can be used to book the Courtyard on Harbor by DLR...at least, that's what we're planning to do with them if we do end up sticking with the Swan.

If you do stay at the Dolphin, I recommend the YC/BC Movies Under the Stars out on the beach by BC. We stayed at YC last summer and watched A Goofy Movie out there and it was so fun! They didn't check to see if you were a guest at the resort - I'm pretty sure those are open to anyone. I just checked the YC/BC resort thread and it looks like they're still having those a few nights a week.

For information specific to the Dolphin resort area right now, I recommend checking out the Boardwalk, Yacht/Beach, and Swan/Dolphin threads on the Resorts board. They are all VERY active with lots of posts from people currently staying at those resorts, and you should be able to find out exactly what things look like in that area right now.
Swan/Dolphin: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...tion-questions.3264274/page-581#post-62305636
YC/BC: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-updated-info-on-page-1-post-1-13-14.3400342/
BW (only the villas are open right now): https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...tion-questions.3344344/page-525#post-62286986

As a solo, I'm assuming you'll be doing lots of rides so, here's what I would be sure NOT to miss at each of the parks as a DLR vet:

MK: Seven Dwarves Mine Train is so fun. Normally I would say Monsters Inc and People mover, but I think those are both closed.
AK: To me, THIS is the must do park for you. It's so different from anything in CA. FOP is by far the best ride I've ever experienced. Navi is beautiful. Everest is also amazing!! Dinosaur is really fun (though Indiana Jones is better, IMO)
HS: Everything in Toy Story Land!!! I am obsessed! Even TSMM is worth going on, even though the ride is identical to the DCA version, because the line is SO cool! It's so much better themed than the DCA version. RNRC is super fun, too. And of course there's the TOT classic version. I've never been to their Galaxy's Edge since it wasn't opened yet last I went. OH! Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is there! Definitely do that!

Personally, Epcot is my favorite Disney park....but with all the construction in future world right now, I am sad to say that you are probably making the right call forgoing it in favor of the others. Plus, World Showcase is kind of an anemic version of itself right now since the international program CMs aren't there.

Transportation - From my limited reading on the WDW boards, it seems like there is ME, but you're right, Dolphin doesn't get it anyway. It also seems like there are buses, and Dolphin does get those. We've never rented a car at WDW and we've never needed one, but of course that was pre-COVID. If you stay at the Dolphin you can walk to HS and Epcot (if you decide to go) very easily. We took buses to MK, AK, and DS from YC last summer. I'm not sure how that is going right now, but I know the resort threads or this thread about current experiences might be a good place to look: https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...ng-experiences.3807247/page-100#post-62243681
If you stay at the Dolphin, you also have very easy access to the Skyliner since there's a station right at the International Gateway. That's an option as well if you want to take it to HS or maybe go check out Riviera, Pop/AOA, or Caribbean Beach.

If you want any food recommendations, let me know. I am pretty obsessed with WDW food. ;) Or if you have any other questions or just want to discuss. DLR might be my first love, but I love WDW a whole lot, too.

ETA: I just read that FL bars can open this week at 50%, which maybe means that Jellyrolls, the dueling piano bar on the Boardwalk, will be open when you're there. We are not bar people and we don't even drink, but we loved Jellyrolls. The piano players are so crazy talented!
Thank you! This is much of the info I was looking for! I was seriously bummed about the PeopleMover... Pretty excited for AK though, since the last time I visited, it was 1998, and it was brand new. There wasn’t a whole lot there yet, but we did do Dinosaur and the Safari. Suuuper interested in FOP, since that won’t ever come to DLR. it would be fun to try the Runaway Railroad too. And that’s kind of what I was thinking about staying onsite. It would be nice for the downtime, but with such a quick trip, there won’t be too much of that, and most of the regular perks are missing. I’d really like to drag my husband back with me in 4-5 years, and maybe we could do all the onsite stuff then. He has a lot of anxiety, and can only comfortably wear a mask for 15-20 minutes at a time, so now is not a good time for him to fly or visit Disney. :-(
I did make another reservation at the Quality Inn for like $350. Even with renting a car, and parking fees, I would save over $300 that way, which could be used to do something fun with my family here, so I feel less guilty... Also, the part of the trip I probably feel a little anxiety about is getting to and from the airport without anything going wrong, so renting a car is appealing on that front. I’m not even sure I’m going to do it, but I’m going to keep my flight and both reservations for now! Riding the Skyliner is a serious temptation, haha! (My most-missed DLR ride is the Skyway!
I also have a reservation at Be Our Guest (because I could...) and the Brown Derby, but I’m open to other suggestions! I don’t really go for drinking or the bar scene, but a lot of that fun ambiance stuff, etc I would enjoy more with my husband.
I am way excited about HS, especially since is the pro I didn’t go to last time, and I would so love to see all the Toy Story theming. I’m not overly worried about getting on Smuggler’s Run or ROTR, since
I’ve been on both several times already in DLR. Are they very different?

@theluckyrabbit Thanks so much for the helpful links and for moving this to the right place! I really wasn’t sure where to put it, and the non-Disneyland boards are so... big, haha. I like my message boards like I prefer my Disney Parks: small and cozy. :-) But really I’ve read and know a lot of that stuff, but everything’s a different ballgame right now! I have lots of good places to read now though!

@theluckyrabbit Thanks so much for the helpful links and for moving this to the right place! I really wasn’t sure where to put it, and the non-Disneyland boards are so... big, haha. I like my message boards like I prefer my Disney Parks: small and cozy. :-) But really I’ve read and know a lot of that stuff, but everything’s a different ballgame right now! I have lots of good places to read now though!
Someone else who can help you is @hiroMYhero -- give her a shout out -- she knows WDW very well and can answer your questions!

If you haven't already done so, you might want to look at the Disney Springs area hotels. I'm not sure how it's working at the moment, but they usually have a complimentary shuttle that runs every half hour to the parks. It's available in the evenings as well, but you would also have the option of taking a bus from the parks to Disney Springs and walking. We stayed four nights at the B Resort last year and I'd recommend it, though there are other resorts there that are even closer to Disney Springs. Mousesavers has some great discount codes for the Disney Springs area hotels (both on the website and in their newsletters).

You guys are all awesome; thank you!

If you haven't already, sign up for the Mousesavers email newsletter. They have discount codes for WDW hotels, car rentals, etc. and news about other discounts, ticket availability, area attractions, etc. Go to mousesavers.com.

Someone else who can help you is @hiroMYhero -- give her a shout out -- she knows WDW very well and can answer your questions!
Thanks for the tag, @theluckyrabbit ! 😊

@Jaina - message me if you need help with the My Disney Experience app. If your dates are confirmed, purchase tickets now, from a discounter or through your MDX app, and make your park reservations.

Also, check the Transportation Board for car rental codes. You may be able to get a great rental rate and then will have your own transport to Dolphin and won’t have to ride Disney buses for parks. Some guests are reporting long waits for resort to AK buses.

GADisneyDad14 is a great resource for Resorts - he’s moved from Theme Parks to moderating the Resorts Board. He’d be happy to answer any Boardwalk area questions!

Thanks for the advice so far!

That price is inclusive. The base price was $600-ish, then $850 with everything added. Which seems expensive for one person who usually travels on a budget, but I can't think of any friends that are crazy enough about Disney to spend that much (flight+hotel+ticket+food) AND are flexible enough with their little ones to be able to disappear for 5 days next month... I teach a microschool T-Th in my home, and I have a 12 and 13-year-old willing to help with younger siblings while I'm gone, so I can squeeze it in! Parking would probably be more, but I wouldn't rent a car if I stayed onsite.

I'm so impressed! I don't know if I would ever be brave enough to travel alone to another country alone. (well, I went to Canada, but it was to stay with a friend, and crossing that border hardly counts, haha) What an awesome experience! I've gone to DL solo (just last December, but it was fun!) and I wouldn't worry as much going solo normally,
but with all the 6-feet apart distancing and masks thing, it’s going to be harder to chat with those around me, and it might be just a little lonely. :-/

Thanks for the great tips! I am from AZ, but I have very strong memories of being poured on every afternoon (we were there in July) as a teenager! I have a lightweight rain jacket I could take; good call. I probably won’t even go to Disney Springs, since I anticipate wearing myself out walking at the park of choice each day, even with the shortened hours. That is good to know about cleaning the rides every 2 hours! I’m thinking I may need an audible book or two since it will
be harder to talk to line mates. :P

Thank you! This is much of the info I was looking for! I was seriously bummed about the PeopleMover... Pretty excited for AK though, since the last time I visited, it was 1998, and it was brand new. There wasn’t a whole lot there yet, but we did do Dinosaur and the Safari. Suuuper interested in FOP, since that won’t ever come to DLR. it would be fun to try the Runaway Railroad too. And that’s kind of what I was thinking about staying onsite. It would be nice for the downtime, but with such a quick trip, there won’t be too much of that, and most of the regular perks are missing. I’d really like to drag my husband back with me in 4-5 years, and maybe we could do all the onsite stuff then. He has a lot of anxiety, and can only comfortably wear a mask for 15-20 minutes at a time, so now is not a good time for him to fly or visit Disney. :-(
I did make another reservation at the Quality Inn for like $350. Even with renting a car, and parking fees, I would save over $300 that way, which could be used to do something fun with my family here, so I feel less guilty... Also, the part of the trip I probably feel a little anxiety about is getting to and from the airport without anything going wrong, so renting a car is appealing on that front. I’m not even sure I’m going to do it, but I’m going to keep my flight and both reservations for now! Riding the Skyliner is a serious temptation, haha! (My most-missed DLR ride is the Skyway!
I also have a reservation at Be Our Guest (because I could...) and the Brown Derby, but I’m open to other suggestions! I don’t really go for drinking or the bar scene, but a lot of that fun ambiance stuff, etc I would enjoy more with my husband.
I am way excited about HS, especially since is the pro I didn’t go to last time, and I would so love to see all the Toy Story theming. I’m not overly worried about getting on Smuggler’s Run or ROTR, since
I’ve been on both several times already in DLR. Are they very different?

I think if you’re more comfortable staying offsite for financial reasons (which believe, me, I get! Onsite is so expensive!), now is a great time to do it since a lot of the onsite perks aren’t there. And I think FL hotels are so much less expensive than CA hotels in general, you can likely get a great deal. (Looks like you have already found a great deal!) If you want to ride the skyliner, you could easily take it from HS anyway.

Yes, AK has changed a whole lot since 1998! FOP is so amazing, as is Everest, and we aren’t likely to ever get either of those at WDW. Pandora’s theming is really cool. I watched Avatar before we went last time just so I could understand, and that did help, just in case you haven’t seen it. Not necessary, though.

We are not bar people, either, but my husband loves and plays music, which is how we ended up at Jellyrolls. His music appreciation won out, haha. One thing I will say about food at WDW - if you spend any time on the Restaurant board on here, you will be very confused. For every restaurant, you can find equal numbers of "This is my favorite place!" and "This is the most disgusting place I've ever eaten!" I really try to take those reviews with a grain of salt, though I have gotten good ideas about places to try on there. At HS, we really like Sci Fi a lot - it's super fun, and I would totally do that one solo. Though if you want to save ambience stuff for when you go with your husband, maybe wait on that one. Just depends what you think of the theming. We also love 50s Prime Time (though again, that's theme-y). We tend to eat at the resorts when near MK, but we did really like the food at Casey's Corner, which is QS (which I don't think is open right now, but maybe will be?). You definitely should do BOG once, just for the theming, especially if you like Beauty and the Beast. Its food gets some negative reviews but it is worth going just for the ambience. Also, there is orange whip at MK, which used to be more exciting before DLR got raspberry, but it's still really good and worth trying! At AK, we absolutely love Yak and Yeti. We both dream about those potstickers and eggrolls. They have QS and TS, but we've only ever done the TS. The pineapple/cream cheese won ton dessert is delicious! I've heard really good things about Satuli Canteen at AK, but the menu doesn't really appeal to us so I can't speak from experience. There's also a lot of really good food at the resorts, which is worth looking into if you have the time and/or inclination. The parking might be expensive/limited though...I'm not sure since we've never had a car.

I think Smuggler's Run and ROTR are identical at WDW, so don't worry about those. (I am jealous about ROTR by the way. We still haven't gotten to do it since our last DLR trip was in Oct!) If you love Toy Story, you will not be disappointed by Toy Story Land. I was blown away by the theming in that land. Love, love, loved it. Alien Swirling Saucers is basically DCA's Mater ride with different theming. I could not stop laughing and just loved it. And Slinky Dog Dash lives up to the hype.

DS is a pretty cool place, but with a shorter trip I think you'd be ok skipping it. It's FAR larger than DTD, but it is essentially an outdoor mall. However, that World of Disney store is so huge that it's kind of awe-inspiring. Also, we love the Christmas store - so many cool Disney ornaments there that you can't find anywhere else. There's some good and relatively reasonably priced food in DS; we really loved Chicken Guy, and I've heard good things about the Polite Pig.

Some other thoughts I had about MK - MK is such a weird place for DLR regulars because it feels the same...kind of...except HUGE, and things are in the wrong place (I can say "wrong" because DL was first, right?). It feels like some twilight zone version of DL. I know you've been to MK, but maybe it'll feel different now since you've been going to DL so much recently. Splash is better at WDW, but for most other duplicates, I tend to give the edge to DLR's version. DLR's Space is far and away better than the WDW version. Fantasyland is much better at DLR. (I can say these things here because this is the DL board, right?? I'm scared to say them over on the WDW side, lol!) Pirates is better. I enjoy Liberty Square just because we don't have that in CA, and it's a cute little area. The castle...oh, that beautiful castle. I love our little Sleeping Beauty castle, but I mean, WDW's castle is just something else. One weird thing to mention - the queue for Little Mermaid is SO cool! Totally themed, unlike the DCA version. So it's worth riding that one just to walk through the queue.

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts for the morning. Sorry it's so long. I am excited for you!

If you haven't already, sign up for the Mousesavers email newsletter. They have discount codes for WDW hotels, car rentals, etc. and news about other discounts, ticket availability, area attractions, etc. Go to mousesavers.com.
I am subscribed to mousesavers, but it goes to my junk mail, so thanks for reminding g me about it!

Thanks for the tag, @theluckyrabbit ! 😊

@Jaina - message me if you need help with the My Disney Experience app. If your dates are confirmed, purchase tickets now, from a discounter or through your MDX app, and make your park reservations.

Also, check the Transportation Board for car rental codes. You may be able to get a great rental rate and then will have your own transport to Dolphin and won’t have to ride Disney buses for parks. Some guests are reporting long waits for resort to AK buses.

GADisneyDad14 is a great resource for Resorts - he’s moved from Theme Parks to moderating the Resorts Board. He’d be happy to answer any Boardwalk area questions!
Thanks for those tips too! I will check those rental car deals, and see if they are any better than Costco. I can get one through Costco for 166 for the five days I think.

I think if you’re more comfortable staying offsite for financial reasons (which believe, me, I get! Onsite is so expensive!), now is a great time to do it since a lot of the onsite perks aren’t there. And I think FL hotels are so much less expensive than CA hotels in general, you can likely get a great deal. (Looks like you have already found a great deal!) If you want to ride the skyliner, you could easily take it from HS anyway.

Yes, AK has changed a whole lot since 1998! FOP is so amazing, as is Everest, and we aren’t likely to ever get either of those at WDW. Pandora’s theming is really cool. I watched Avatar before we went last time just so I could understand, and that did help, just in case you haven’t seen it. Not necessary, though.

We are not bar people, either, but my husband loves and plays music, which is how we ended up at Jellyrolls. His music appreciation won out, haha. One thing I will say about food at WDW - if you spend any time on the Restaurant board on here, you will be very confused. For every restaurant, you can find equal numbers of "This is my favorite place!" and "This is the most disgusting place I've ever eaten!" I really try to take those reviews with a grain of salt, though I have gotten good ideas about places to try on there. At HS, we really like Sci Fi a lot - it's super fun, and I would totally do that one solo. Though if you want to save ambience stuff for when you go with your husband, maybe wait on that one. Just depends what you think of the theming. We also love 50s Prime Time (though again, that's theme-y). We tend to eat at the resorts when near MK, but we did really like the food at Casey's Corner, which is QS (which I don't think is open right now, but maybe will be?). You definitely should do BOG once, just for the theming, especially if you like Beauty and the Beast. Its food gets some negative reviews but it is worth going just for the ambience. Also, there is orange whip at MK, which used to be more exciting before DLR got raspberry, but it's still really good and worth trying! At AK, we absolutely love Yak and Yeti. We both dream about those potstickers and eggrolls. They have QS and TS, but we've only ever done the TS. The pineapple/cream cheese won ton dessert is delicious! I've heard really good things about Satuli Canteen at AK, but the menu doesn't really appeal to us so I can't speak from experience. There's also a lot of really good food at the resorts, which is worth looking into if you have the time and/or inclination. The parking might be expensive/limited though...I'm not sure since we've never had a car.

I think Smuggler's Run and ROTR are identical at WDW, so don't worry about those. (I am jealous about ROTR by the way. We still haven't gotten to do it since our last DLR trip was in Oct!) If you love Toy Story, you will not be disappointed by Toy Story Land. I was blown away by the theming in that land. Love, love, loved it. Alien Swirling Saucers is basically DCA's Mater ride with different theming. I could not stop laughing and just loved it. And Slinky Dog Dash lives up to the hype.

DS is a pretty cool place, but with a shorter trip I think you'd be ok skipping it. It's FAR larger than DTD, but it is essentially an outdoor mall. However, that World of Disney store is so huge that it's kind of awe-inspiring. Also, we love the Christmas store - so many cool Disney ornaments there that you can't find anywhere else. There's some good and relatively reasonably priced food in DS; we really loved Chicken Guy, and I've heard good things about the Polite Pig.

Some other thoughts I had about MK - MK is such a weird place for DLR regulars because it feels the same...kind of...except HUGE, and things are in the wrong place (I can say "wrong" because DL was first, right?). It feels like some twilight zone version of DL. I know you've been to MK, but maybe it'll feel different now since you've been going to DL so much recently. Splash is better at WDW, but for most other duplicates, I tend to give the edge to DLR's version. DLR's Space is far and away better than the WDW version. Fantasyland is much better at DLR. (I can say these things here because this is the DL board, right?? I'm scared to say them over on the WDW side, lol!) Pirates is better. I enjoy Liberty Square just because we don't have that in CA, and it's a cute little area. The castle...oh, that beautiful castle. I love our little Sleeping Beauty castle, but I mean, WDW's castle is just something else. One weird thing to mention - the queue for Little Mermaid is SO cool! Totally themed, unlike the DCA version. So it's worth riding that one just to walk through the queue.

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts for the morning. Sorry it's so long. I am excited for you!

I grew up going to Disneyland every 1 to 2 years, so when I went to Disney World when I was 15, it was the strangest thing to feel like I knew where I was going only to run into dead ends and stuff. And the Hainted Manaion was -totally- in the wrong place, haha! It was so disorienting! And I completely agree with all of the rides you said are better one place or the other. I probably won’t even bother with Space Mountain there, unless the line is short and I have time to kill. I remember being so in love with the castle though, and I am excited to hopefully see it, though I don’t love the current paint job. I like it being white!

I grew up going to Disneyland every 1 to 2 years, so when I went to Disney World when I was 15, it was the strangest thing to feel like I knew where I was going only to run into dead ends and stuff. And the Hainted Manaion was -totally- in the wrong place, haha! It was so disorienting! And I completely agree with all of the rides you said are better one place or the other. I probably won’t even bother with Space Mountain there, unless the line is short and I have time to kill. I remember being so in love with the castle though, and I am excited to hopefully see it, though I don’t love the current paint job. I like it being white!
Make sure you have good walking shoes. You already know WDW is much bigger, but my friend and I were soooo thrown off by how far the rides are from each other. It was a big hike going from Big thunder, to haunted mansion, to Peter Pan lol. We were exhausted. It’s not like DL where you can see one land from the other.

I am subscribed to mousesavers, but it goes to my junk mail, so thanks for reminding g me about it!

Thanks for those tips too! I will check those rental car deals, and see if they are any better than Costco. I can get one through Costco for 166 for the five days I think.

When I saw the new paint job I was like - “They copied the Sleeping Beauty castle!” I am totally weirded out by it because DLR is supposed to have the pink castle! I agree. Not a fan!

Make sure you have good walking shoes. You already know WDW is much bigger, but my friend and I were soooo thrown off by how far the rides are from each other. It was a big hike going from Big thunder, to haunted mansion, to Peter Pan lol. We were exhausted. It’s not like DL where you can see one land from the other.
Yes, I do remember that. I usually do over 30k steps in a day when I’m at DLR, (especially since I’m usually walking from a hotel that’s a block or two away) and I can do that in my Croc flip flops, so if I bring at least one change of shoes I think I’ll do okay. Losing 10 lbs before then would only help my cause though... 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter