Possibly moving from CT to GA

pjpoppins

DIS Veteran
Working on relocating for several different reasons. Is it terrible that when my DW and I talk about it we keep mentioning that it will be such an easy drive to the Fort? And even quick car rides to value resort for long weekends? We just did the Fort for the first time (except when I was young and stayed in cabins) and absolutely fell in love with it. We don't want to go to WDW any other way again yet the 20 hr haul from CT makes it quite the project and adds several days of travel.

We use to live in St. Mary's GA. 3 hrs. from the Fort. Really enjoyed it there. Every time we drive down to the Fort we talk about moving back.

I would suggest just crossing the line and moving slightly into Florida. The discounts for Florida residents are amazing! Discounts on cruises, too, from most - if not all - cruise lines.

I would suggest just crossing the line and moving slightly into Florida. The discounts for Florida residents are amazing! Discounts on cruises, too, from most - if not all - cruise lines.

And no state income tax in Florida....

I tell ya, poppins, being within one full day's drive of the Fort like we are in central Alabama has made it easier for us to justify annual trips to the Fort. (oh, i meant WDW of course :groom: ) But it's a secondary benefit (or even tertiary) - if you are considering relocating, I wouldn't make this a primary reason.

But it is convenient. Good luck with your decision.

Bama Ed

1) Well, golly gee.
2) If one of the main reasons is WDW, then you have made a good choice.
3) But, watch which part of GA, as some are EXTREMELY humid during the summer months.

Thanks all. Still working on moving to Peachtree City (yup the golfcart town...so we can act like we are at the fort year round). Wife and I have jobs lined up. Just wrapping up some stuff on our house and waiting to hear back from a seller on a house down there. We have family in town and my mother is also buying a home in town. About a 6.5 hr ride to the Fort according to Google. Much better than the 20 hr ride from CT. And we will have our own golf cart now!

Very nice status update, poppins. Good luck on the relocation.

Happy to have you join us Southern' DISsers.

Bama Ed

PS - GSP Meet III in 2018? <hint>

Welcome to Georgia. We will be right up hwy 74 about 6 miles in Tyrone. PTC has about 100 miles of golf cart trails. You will love it. You will use your cart to shop, go out to eat, 4th of July parade, etc.. The fort is 472 miles from our house. DW and I have visited every fall since our honeymoon in '73. Now that we are retired I don't drive that far in one day. We stay at Eagles Roost, exit 5. The next day puts us at the fort very near the 1:00 pm check in. We also bring our cart and love it for looping, getting to marina, trails end and the bus station at the outpost.

You'll love Peachtree City and living in Georgia! It was my home state until we moved to Florida last October. And yes, living close to WDW and the Fort is amazing! We're less than 2 hours away and our first major purchase after furniture when we moved here was our annual passes. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!