Post a Picture of Your Camping Setup at Other Campgrounds!!

Site 14 at Bogue Chitto state park (Louisiana)

the site is nice and roomy and isolated.

Got in around 3:30. Set up. Took a walk where we learned the playgrounds are closed. Ate some crock pot pork roast that we cooked last night.

Just waiting for the kids to go to bed and the s’mores fire to burn out enough to douse it. Getting the kids to bed the first night is never an easy task.

Yesterday we did a little “hiking” and took the kids fishing. 5 y/o caught her first fish and is super excited. Couldn’t reel one in for the 7 y/o, but she’s ready to go again too. Trying to catch minnows with a kid sized fishing pole is surprisingly difficult.

Thawed out some gumbo for dinner, which was quite tasty. And got the kids to bed around 9:30, so only a couple hours later than normal bedtime.

Today grandma is visiting and staying with us for the rest of the trip. Should be interesting, given she’s deathly afraid of things like...lizards. And probably hasn’t camped in 30 years. At least its in a camper and not tents.

we’ll do some more fishing later and try to go to the beach on the river if the weather holds out.

Was hoping to kayak, but the logistics seem overly complicated. The road for the take out is locked because they have a rental place but that’s closed during the week so you can’t actually get a car to the takeout. And the river is pretty loggy, so uncertain if that would be a good idea with inflatable kayaks anyway.

overall, liking the campground. And it would be great if the little water park and playgrounds were open.

Thawed out some gumbo for dinner, which was quite tasty. And got the kids to bed around 9:30, so only a couple hours later than normal bedtime.

As you are someone who apparently lives in LA, if that's a homemade gumbo, send me the recipe via PM. I am always on the lookout for homemade LA food recipes.

Ed

PS - guess you are home by now, Pluto. how did the rest of the trip turn out?

It was not homemade, it was part of our remote Easter dinner from a local restaurant. We didn’t need that and a stuffed chicken on Easter, so we kept it.

We enjoyed the rest of the stay enough that we tried to book a return for Father’s Day, but it was too late for that.

the kids us a blast swimming in the river. They made it into a lazy river in their puddle jumpers. I got to catch them from going to far and send them back to mom.

we tried to do horseback riding, but that was another weekend only thing. When talking to the person about it and explaining that we had a 5 y/o and autistic 7 y/o, he told us to book ahead and let them know and 7 can ride with me for no charge, which I thought was awesome.

Bogue Chitto will likely become our go-to for short trips. And next time I’ll be prepared for the kayaking.

we’re going to Navarre beach for the 4th. Not sure how the kids are gonna deal with no s’mores.

Cape may nj, beachcomber resort. Only place we could find close that had lake swimming. Pools are still closed. They wouldn't let us take the kayack out though. Still fun. Its a private campground and my daughter made friends with the nebibours. So , this was for her to get out and see atual people after 2.5 months of no contact.

We still have not camped just our family. Huns was here last weekend with a friend, this weekend we are at the next door site with his folks. Decent site, but enough of an angle that we had to use 2 bricks plus 3 slabs of wood to get the tongue off the TV.
Need to get some levelers.
And a grill. This tiny hot dog grill is almost worthless.

Jim Hogg in Georgetown Tx. Gate closes at 6, but they stop answering the phone at 4:30 so we almost could not get in for our reservation. Bad management methinks.8290171B-FC87-46E5-97D4-35DDE83F32B9.jpeg620B5E11-B8BD-43FC-8E23-DFBA0D535554.jpeg

We still have not camped just our family. Huns was here last weekend with a friend, this weekend we are at the next door site with his folks. Decent site, but enough of an angle that we had to use 2 bricks plus 3 slabs of wood to get the tongue off the TV.
Need to get some levelers.
And a grill. This tiny hot dog grill is almost worthless.

Jim Hogg in Georgetown Tx. Gate closes at 6, but they stop answering the phone at 4:30 so we almost could not get in for our reservation. Bad management methinks.View attachment 500823View attachment 500824
The Coleman road trip is a decent grill.

The black stone griddle is also nice. Much less of a pain to keep clean for camper storage than a grill.

but I do have to fight with it when using my propane tank instead of the Coleman bottles. There seems to be a very fine line between not open enough to keep it lit and open too far which trips the regulator.

I am looking at the 22” Blackstone and some Coleman grills too.
I know we need a bigger cooking area for sure and we had been using a griddle on our 2 burner coleman but if I can move to something that runs off the tanks, that is leas to worry about... the small propane literally just ran out on my fajitas, plus it makes hotspots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
I have the Blackstone also, i like it a lot. But the Coleman roadtrip , you can add a griddle, it grills hot ( great for steak) , and you can add grate to make it a stove. Blackstone cooks hot and is good for pancakes. I use them both. Also, i pack a seprate 20 lb tank for cooking. Add a wye and conect both the grill and the blackstone. And its quicker to fill the seprate tank. I should really check the propane in the tanks on the camper. Its basicly just used for the fridge. If you have a port on the side check to see if its high pressure or low pressure. High will usally be a screw on fitting, low will be a quick connect. You csn easily add a hose to make eaither work, some stuff works better then others.

Terri,

Were you at the Disney Campers gathering? That looks like a pretty fun crowd. And the resort looks pretty nice. I'm with you though. SP and COE campgrounds are more my speed.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!