Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Another question about funds being credited...
Are the $5.60 fees I pay for my companion on a companion pass supposed to be credited? I’m noticing the last couple times I cancelled and then rebooked that they weren’t...

I was just reading on another thread about this and the poster stated that they think SW doesn’t refund the fees to your credit card anymore, but they would be credited to your RR account as cash. Does anyone have any recent experience with this process? I don’t want to cause any drama - I’m just trying to figure out exactly what would happen if we needed to cancel a flight booked with points, and what we could afford to lose. If the fees are credited to your RR account, would they be subject to the 1 year from booking expiration?
When cancelling, there will be a drop-down box for how the value of the taxes and fees are treated. Make sure to select the option to refund to your credit card.

Another question about funds being credited...
Are the $5.60 fees I pay for my companion on a companion pass supposed to be credited? I’m noticing the last couple times I cancelled and then rebooked that they weren’t...
If you request a refund of the $5.60 by checking that box then it will be refunded. If you don't, then they will become a travel credit for that person. CP fees should ALWAYS be refundable because it is not possible to "change" or "re-book" a companion ticket.

See this comment for context on my last sentence above:
If you book a flight on points - initially the fees are refundable back to your credit card. Effective May 2017 when Southwest launched their new computer system, IF you CHANGE or RE-BOOK a points flight the fees then become non-refundable. If you need to change your flight OR are looking to re-book to save some points, the advice is to CANCEL, request a refund of your fees, and book a new flight.

If you've already changed or rebooked a flight on points and now try to cancel, your funds will NOT be refunded and will become a travel credit for use ONLY by that traveler for 1 year from the date you initially booked the flight.

This change occurred in May 2017, so anything you see written online prior to that may not reference this advice.

If you request a refund of the $5.60 by checking that box then it will be refunded. If you don't, then they will become a travel credit for that person. CP fees should ALWAYS be refundable because it is not possible to "change" or "re-book" a companion ticket.

See this comment for context on my last sentence above:
If you book a flight on points - initially the fees are refundable back to your credit card. Effective May 2017 when Southwest launched their new computer system, IF you CHANGE or RE-BOOK a points flight the fees then become non-refundable. If you need to change your flight OR are looking to re-book to save some points, the advice is to CANCEL, request a refund of your fees, and book a new flight.

If you've already changed or rebooked a flight on points and now try to cancel, your funds will NOT be refunded and will become a travel credit for use ONLY by that traveler for 1 year from the date you initially booked the flight.

This change occurred in May 2017, so anything you see written online prior to that may not reference this advice.
So when I have been cancelling my flights that also have a companion, there’s never been a separate option for how to refund companions. It will have the three of us that are booked on points, and I choose the refund to card option (it always is refunded).
But there is nothing for me to get our fourth person, the companion. I never have done a separate cancellation for the companion (I assumed it was done automatically), and now I’m seeing that the companions $5.60 haven’t always been refunded. Is there a way to get it refunded without calling?

So when I have been cancelling my flights that also have a companion, there’s never been a separate option for how to refund companions. It will have the three of us that are booked on points, and I choose the refund to card option (it always is refunded).
But there is nothing for me to get our fourth person, the companion. I never have done a separate cancellation for the companion (I assumed it was done automatically), and now I’m seeing that the companions $5.60 haven’t always been refunded. Is there a way to get it refunded without calling?
I always cancel the companion flight first before touching the points flights. (Granted - I haven't done this recently) But I recall being given the option online to request a refund. Maybe somebody here has a more recent DP (datapoint) on that?

When cancelling, there will be a drop-down box for how the value of the taxes and fees are treated. Make sure to select the option to refund to your credit card.

Thank you so much! This is what I needed to know. I definitely will be booking all of our future flights with points, the perks are so much better!

Might be a stupid question but we have never flown during Christmas:
We are scheduled to fly from PVD-MCO on 12/23-1/1. Waited to book WTGA flights until we had enough points so they were purchased for 23,058 ($332) and 23,783 ($342). I’ve checked multiple times a day since booking and one has stayed the same while the other has gone up. How much Hope should I have that the price will drop and I can get some points back? We’ve never paid this much for flights. Not sure if this is just how it is over the holidays. I will keep checking, just wondering what I should expect.

Might be a stupid question but we have never flown during Christmas:
We are scheduled to fly from PVD-MCO on 12/23-1/1. Waited to book WTGA flights until we had enough points so they were purchased for 23,058 ($332) and 23,783 ($342). I’ve checked multiple times a day since booking and one has stayed the same while the other has gone up. How much Hope should I have that the price will drop and I can get some points back? We’ve never paid this much for flights. Not sure if this is just how it is over the holidays. I will keep checking, just wondering what I should expect.

Well I'd say your dates def have an impact being that it's right before Christmas and coming back on New Years day.

That being said I just did a check and there are 2 seats left for a WGA fare for $260 each going down it's just that flight is the last one out and doesn't arrive until nearly 1am the next day and also contains a stop so I'd say another part is the flight you've opted for (though generally speaking from my airport the non-stop flight are the cheapest though not always--Providence that may not be the same case).

On your way back there's a flight in the morning that's $247 (non-stop too) each but there's only 1 seat left at that price (don't know what the price would be for the other person). There's also the last flight out (also non-stop) that gets you back home at nearly 1 am the next day that's also $247 each person. So again it could very well be the flight time you've opted for.

It looks like a decent amount WGA fares both down there and back are presently 'Sold Out' and being right around those two holidays I can understand why.

To answer your question there's no harm in continuing to check to see if they drop but given that's right around those holidays and so many WGA fares already listed as 'Sold Out' I'd be keeping a realistic (i.e. probably not likely) outlook. But never say never though there's that possibility.

I would just attempt to board as a family during family boarding. Apparently this has only just occurred to me that perhaps we weren't within "formal policy" but my, my wife, my 4 year old and my 8 year old always board together during family boarding. I see tons of families with some kids over 6 boarding during family boarding because they have at least one kid under 6. Upon reviewing the rules again, I guess a gate agent could send the older kids back to the regular line but in practice on tons of flights (i.e. 60+ flights), I've never seen that occur.
Ok, so we flew down to MCO yesterday! Great trip and no issues. We were the only ones on the entire sold our flight to even gate check a stroller or car seat ( we gate checked both). Our three year old was the youngest on the flight. We spoke with the gate agent and she told us to all go with our youngest to family board. Mom dad and four kids. Then when they annouceced boarding they said children 6 and younger and their immediate families. Only three families boarded during family boarding, we sat four rows from the back. Maybe because so few young kids were on the flight.

Well I'd say your dates def have an impact being that it's right before Christmas and coming back on New Years day.

That being said I just did a check and there are 2 seats left for a WGA fare for $260 each going down it's just that flight is the last one out and doesn't arrive until nearly 1am the next day and also contains a stop so I'd say another part is the flight you've opted for (though generally speaking from my airport the non-stop flight are the cheapest though not always--Providence that may not be the same case).

On your way back there's a flight in the morning that's $247 (non-stop too) each but there's only 1 seat left at that price (don't know what the price would be for the other person). There's also the last flight out (also non-stop) that gets you back home at nearly 1 am the next day that's also $247 each person. So again it could very well be the flight time you've opted for.

It looks like a decent amount WGA fares both down there and back are presently 'Sold Out' and being right around those two holidays I can understand why.

To answer your question there's no harm in continuing to check to see if they drop but given that's right around those holidays and so many WGA fares already listed as 'Sold Out' I'd be keeping a realistic (i.e. probably not likely) outlook. But never say never though there's that possibility.
Yeah. I know part of the problem is that we have kids and try to fly nonstop/ try not to fly to late. Our dates are not super flexible either so I know beggars can’t be choosers. I guess I can hope they will still drop a little bit we’ll see. Thanks for your insight.

Am I crazy? I thought I saw that SW was opening their flight schedule through April 5, 2018 on August 16th….now it's saying they will open the schedule on August 30th? Did they change it? Does anyone think it will change back, or change again? I hate to miss the opening day. We want to fly down on April 3, 2019.

Am I crazy? I thought I saw that SW was opening their flight schedule through April 5, 2018 on August 16th….now it's saying they will open the schedule on August 30th? Did they change it? Does anyone think it will change back, or change again? I hate to miss the opening day. We want to fly down on April 3, 2019.

Nope, I don't think you're crazy. I think they did originally have August 16th as the day, but, as it says on their website, the date is subject to change...and it changed. At this late date, I doubt it'll change again, but it never hurts to check.

Nope, I don't think you're crazy. I think they did originally have August 16th as the day, but, as it says on their website, the date is subject to change...and it changed. At this late date, I doubt it'll change again, but it never hurts to check.

Thanks, I guess I'll just have to check daily!

Typically if you watch this thread somebody will report that.

In this case @DMOMof3 reported it for us a week ago :) There are a bunch of us who watch this pretty closely.

Just saw this on the SW site. Looks like they changed the next release date!

We are currently accepting air reservations through March 6, 2019. On August 30,2018 we will open our schedule for sale through April 5, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

When I booked our flights I booked all four of us as one grouping/booking, paid cash. If one of the party cannot go, do I have to cancel the whole group or can I just cancel one person off the booking and leave the other three flights alone?

When I booked our flights I booked all four of us as one grouping/booking, paid cash. If one of the party cannot go, do I have to cancel the whole group or can I just cancel one person off the booking and leave the other three flights alone?
You can cancel one person. If you’re not able to do it online for some reason then call in and they’ll assist you. :)

This will be our first time flying SW, and I'm looking for dates in early May. Is there much of a chance that those dates will be available when the Aug 30th release date comes around? I am itching to get flights booked! Do you know about what time they release the schedule? I want to be sure I get a good option, and there aren't many from where we're located. I am feeling like this is going to be another FP+ or ADR morning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts